Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

No love for Jacque!

This was just alerted to me through email so I thought I would check it out.
    Enjoy the read.

Hit the road, Jacque.
    Cubshub.com
    Monday, December 18 2006 @ 03:26 AM EST
    Contributed by: Pierce Views: 77

Ryan's View

Recently it has been pointed out that Jacque Jones has all but said he would like a ticket out of town, in part because of the reaction many Cubs fans had to his cold hitting in the month of April. We've all heard the quotes from Jones, including "It was rough for me a little bit in Chicago last year, and I played through it. I signed there for three years, so … I gotta do what I gotta do, and that's fulfill the last two years of my contract."

Well, Jacque, I think we earned the right to boo you. You hit .228 in April and .237 in July. You hit .234 against lefties in 137 ABs. You only took 14 walks from the beginning of the season until the end of July, while striking out 70+ times in that span. Against the Reds you hit .217 in 46 ABs. Against the Astros you hit .204 in 49 AB's. In 35 AB's against the Pirates you hit .257 and .275 against the NL Central as a whole (compared to his .285 average during the season).

Heck, you started the season 2-of-22. We Booo'd you because you played like crap. Its kind of what fans do. And it apparently hurt your feelings? Now you want out of Chicago? Good. Get out. Go. Dont let the door hit ya...

Jacque Jones is not a bad baseball player, not by a longshot. His contract is a reasonable one, his production is great for the value, and he is fairly athletic. WIth that being said, I'd deal him for a couple bags of BP balls and a McChicken sandwhich. He's just not a Cub, in my opinion, and should be sent packing for this reason (among others).

When you think of the great Cubs you think of Ernie, Ron, Fergie, Ryno, Billy, Gabby, and the double play combination of Tinkers-to-Evers-to-Chance. You dont think of guys like Jacque Jones, Neifi Perez and Jose Macias, all of which were "Dusty's Boys". Matt Murton is a Cub. Carlos Zambrano is a Cub. Fragile Wood and Towel Drill Prior are Cubs (for better or worse). Derrek Lee is a Cub. Jacque Jones? Not so fast. He just isnt a Cub, and I cant put my finger on it.

Maybe its because he never really embraced the fans. Some, like Ramirez and Lee, won over the fans with production. Others, like Matt Murton and Ryan Theriot, won over the fans as home grown products. Barrett won the hearts and minds of Cubsdom when he nailed Pierzynski with a sucker punch and Big Z has become a legend on the North Side because of his ill temper and his ability to break bats over his knee.

What have you done Jacque? You've complained. You've gone "0-for-the-week" more times than I care to count. I've seen a lot of players spike balls into the ground when they make throws, but usually its in the End Zone of an NFL stadium. Not in right field at Wrigley. To quote The Sandlot, "You throw like a girl"

The point is that you're not a Cub, Jacque, and you never will. Whether your dealt or not, you'll always just be a player earning a paycheck. Just because you put on Cubbie Blue doesnt mean that you're a member of the Wrigley Faithful, just as I'm not a pro baseball player when I put on a Derrek Lee jersey. Keep earning your check out there in right and we'll keep booing until you're dealt, because I guarantee we'll stick around a lot longer than you will. We've played this game before, we've seen players come and go that we just earning a paycheck; You're no different.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Re: No love for Jacque!

Great post! Signing Jones was a mistake, especially for 3 years. He was never that great with Minnesota and was coming off a year he had hit something like .246 so not sure why the Cubs gave him a 3 year deal when no one else was offering it. I'm hoping they find a deal to send Jones off somewhere and get another OF so they can put Soriano and his arm in RF and leave Murton in LF.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would like to see Murton get more action. Soriano obviously in Right, so where do you put Jones. Well Pie gets the nod, why not try and trade Jones. Get some farm system players for him.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,116
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

I don't get it, look at his splits from last year:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/...6&type=Batting

He had a horrible April and a bad July. At the start of the season he was pressing and seeing a majority of the NL pitchers for the first time. Once he got going he did just fine, and was one of the Cub leaders in HR & RBI last season (#2 behind Ramirez).

If you look at his situational splits, he's hovering around .300 with runners on:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/...560SgIBvOFCLcF

He's a good bat for the price and he's not a liability in the outfiled. I'm a die hard Cubs fan, but I've liked Jones since he started out with the Twins. The Twins didn't seem to have trouble winning ballgames with he and Torii Hunter at the top of the lineup. The author of this article probably one of those fans who wants to see the Cubs give Sosa another run in right field.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hitting wise, he did come around. And lets hope it was because he was just getting acclimated with the field and the pitchers. Indeed he was a good scorer, and as I have stated in other threads, really makes a good 6 or 7 guy in the lineup. Plus he is a lefty which is what the Cubs are looking for.

The tough part is his defense. He spiked a few, and had too many mental lapses. Murton wasn't exciting either. But this kid is young and learning. Jones is at the place in his career where he shouldn't be making these kind of mental errors.

Plus lets look at the replacements. Pie is doing good defensively in the winter leagues, but offensively he is in a huge slump. The managers dont seem as concerned as they are relieved of his efforts thus far. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a little more consistent offense from Pie who could work in to being our #2 guy. Theriot (The Riot) finished as one of the best Cubs hitters last season. His OBP and batting avg. showed for it. He has had some work out in the outfield before, and makes for a great utility player. But I think he is ment more of a good bench player behind Izturis and DeRosa. So to go off and use Theriot everyday right now, really dismantles what Lou P. has been wanting this next season, a strong bench.

Past these two players, there are no big names that have made a splash in the farm system. Spring training might show otherwise, but no one has stepped up. Most still need more time to develop.

So with all that, keeping Jones might not be a bad idea, but lets hope he starts hot and stays at least luke warm. A trade could be in the works, but I havn't heard much of that.

Rookie
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Does it really matter who the Scrubbies have they suck. 98 years of saying wait til next year.

C Completely
    U Useless
    B Before
    S September

Cyclone State Now & Forever