Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,506, Level: 96
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,180
    Points
    95,506
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    Coach Rhoads has a choice to make. If he keeps the offense that ISU ran the last two seasons in tact and adds to it there is a possibility of getting to a bowl game with a six win season.

    If he brings in a complete change to a spread, there is one year of learning a new system, as we saw with the MN Gophers, and a possible 1-2 win season.

    What would you do? I would go with the current offense as a base, and add more looks into it. I believe with the state of the program, this is a time to get every W we can possibly get in the shortest time we can get them.



  2. #2
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    rte4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    445
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    Throw the ball to set up the run. Spread em out......Like when Looney was here.


    "where there is pain, let us bring grace. for those afraid, let us be brave. where there is misery, let us bring relief. let us be the remedy" dc*b

    http://billclarkproject52.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 81,612, Level: 88
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,741
    Points
    81,612
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 110

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    I know what you mean, but cant the coaches drop them off a playbook to the players so they can study it and have all spring and summer to work out the kinks. I doubt we'll run anything a whole lot different than what we have done recently.


    #BEATIOWA

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,062, Level: 60
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    3,779
    Points
    38,062
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    Just make your playbook smaller the first season and perfect the few plays you have, as much as you can. You don't need a huge playbook to, you need to execute the plays you do have well.



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 42,029, Level: 63
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Balrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    689
    Points
    42,029
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 14

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Coach Rhoads has a choice to make. If he keeps the offense that ISU ran the last two seasons in tact and adds to it there is a possibility of getting to a bowl game with a six win season.

    If he brings in a complete change to a spread, there is one year of learning a new system, as we saw with the MN Gophers, and a possible 1-2 win season.

    What would you do? I would go with the current offense as a base, and add more looks into it. I believe with the state of the program, this is a time to get every W we can possibly get in the shortest time we can get them.
    At first blush ketel, this makes a great deal of sense to me. I guess I would take a real long hard look at my talent, and decide if I can continue to run a spread or choose to go as simple as possible and still be creative. I think I would be inclined to run a three receiver set with a running back, and do this as best as I possibly could (and I don't mean dumbing down), I mean getting to good old fashioned basics football with creativity.
    I know I am being somewhat nebulous because I can't speak football jargon but ................ does this make sense?

    Go Cyclones.



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 13,348, Level: 34
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    495
    Points
    13,348
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    That's a tough question. I guess the answer is you play with what you and your OC are comfortable with. If that means a complete change, then you do it now. If it means staying 100% with what we've been doing, great. The new staff can't be a game or two into the season and start worrying that they made a bad choice by sticking with a system they aren't comfortable with just hoping that it might lead to an extra win or two in year 1.

    I imagine the process will be decided during interviews. Rhoads will hire the man he best feels can help ISU wins. If that coach runs a more pro-style offense, then we'll switch day one. In a perfect world, I think I'd like to see ISU maintain some of the read option looks and transfer a majority of the offense over to a more multiple look running attack. Big 12 defenses get pretty similar looks almost across the board anymore. I'd love it if ISU became a smash mouth, ball away from the other offenses, maybe even Georgia Tech style, offensive team.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    The only real way to keep the former offense is to keep the former offensive coordinator. No thanks.


    Seneca Wallace.

  8. #8
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!!!



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,506, Level: 96
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,180
    Points
    95,506
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    That's a tough question. I guess the answer is you play with what you and your OC are comfortable with. If that means a complete change, then you do it now. If it means staying 100% with what we've been doing, great. The new staff can't be a game or two into the season and start worrying that they made a bad choice by sticking with a system they aren't comfortable with just hoping that it might lead to an extra win or two in year 1.

    I imagine the process will be decided during interviews. Rhoads will hire the man he best feels can help ISU wins. If that coach runs a more pro-style offense, then we'll switch day one. In a perfect world, I think I'd like to see ISU maintain some of the read option looks and transfer a majority of the offense over to a more multiple look running attack. Big 12 defenses get pretty similar looks almost across the board anymore. I'd love it if ISU became a smash mouth, ball away from the other offenses, maybe even Georgia Tech style, offensive team.
    I think you are right in that this has been discussed. If you look at other programs, a major change in offenses takes time. We were in year two with Chizik, and the offense looked very good at times, but very bad at others. My point is, with a weak schedule next season, this is our window of opportunity to break through. A total change in offense may just throw that out the window. Answer, keep McFarland on staff in a lesser roll to work with new OC. Not sure that will happen. We will see.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 132,078, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    joefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    6,446
    Points
    132,078
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 109

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    If I were PR I would get settled into Ames and then hit up Hickory Park for some sweet BBQ, and a nice sundae to top it off.


    "Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 391,942, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,268
    Points
    391,942
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 264

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    I think you are right in that this has been discussed. If you look at other programs, a major change in offenses takes time. We were in year two with Chizik, and the offense looked very good at times, but very bad at others. My point is, with a weak schedule next season, this is our window of opportunity to break through. A total change in offense may just throw that out the window. Answer, keep McFarland on staff in a lesser roll to work with new OC. Not sure that will happen. We will see.
    Be like KU from year before?


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,287, Level: 63
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,666
    Points
    42,287
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Coach Rhoads has a choice to make. If he keeps the offense that ISU ran the last two seasons in tact and adds to it there is a possibility of getting to a bowl game with a six win season.

    If he brings in a complete change to a spread, there is one year of learning a new system, as we saw with the MN Gophers, and a possible 1-2 win season.

    What would you do? I would go with the current offense as a base, and add more looks into it. I believe with the state of the program, this is a time to get every W we can possibly get in the shortest time we can get them.
    Minnesota's problem last year was on the defensive side. Their improvement this year was due primarily to bringing in new recruits and changing the coordinator on defense.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 15,522, Level: 37
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shildreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,146
    Points
    15,522
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Minnesota's problem last year was on the defensive side. Their improvement this year was due primarily to bringing in new recruits and changing the coordinator on defense.

    hmmm.... that sounds earily familiar to a certain school....


    '00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 19,635, Level: 42
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,405
    Points
    19,635
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    I don't see it as a problem. The offense will have no problem picking it up unless you hire Callahan and try all those shifts and motion that I loved watching Nebraska struggle with for 2 years before they cut a lot of that stuff out of their playbook. Mcfarland taught zone blocking principles which is common and Arnaud has had to learn 2 systems already, a third will be a breeze



  15. #15
    Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,338
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What would you do if you were Rhoads?

    I would take Coach MacFatty to Tasty Tacos. If he can down 60 tacos in 30 minutes he keeps his job.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM