Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 478
    Given: 320

My time at the Bradley game.

Here are some thoughts I had on the Bradley game I went to.

Bradley: I thought Bradley played a great game. My hats' off to them and I wish them another successful season. They played a tight team game all around. I tell you what, that number 20 was one of the faster players I have seen. He is pesky and was always putting pressure on the ball. Their half and full presses were killing us. We definitely dont have the players who can bust through those like we had with Stinson and Blaylok, but we will. It takes time and experience.

ISU: I thought we played pretty well. Stupid mistakes killed us but I think we are improving and it will take time to tighten up those issues. The "Team" game is improving. We didnt get blown out and played them scrappy all the way till the final buzzer. In the end it came down to mistakes, inexperience, and a tough Bradley team with more sharpened talent.

Refs: What can I say, they were iffy. Now Im not usually one to gripe about refs just because Ive never been one and dont know the pressures, but there were some obvious BS calls and things they didnt see but everyone in the world did.

Crowd: There were quite a few fans there and I was happy to see that. There could always be more and Im sure there will be when we start winning more and more excitement is built. I was not happy however with some of the folks in the crowd felt it was necessary to gripe and rip on the ISU players. I feel that is inappropriate. Even when our players do something boneheaded, belittling them is just bad. They are playing their hearts out and giving their all to a team you love. Support them, even if you dont like the player! On a lighter note, Cyclone Alley made me laugh. The whole Salley is a girls name chant and the Salley Sells Seashells by the Seashore was hilarious. I wish we could get the whole crowd in on that.

Other than a few gripes, I had a great time. I felt very optimistic about our team. I was happy to see McDermott in the refs face about some stuff. Having seen such a big man towering over that tiny ref who he could crush into a fine powder, gave me some enjoyment. He made some adjustments that kept us in the game and Im very confident in his coaching ability.

Anyone else go to them game that has some thoughts?

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 101

Re: My time at the Bradley game.

The officiating was horrible...but horrible for both teams. There were TONS of questionable calls.

The one where Mac got in their face when a Bradley player grabbed the rim while the shot was on the way after a foul was terrible. How can you not see (and hear!) a guy pulling the rim down during a shot attempt!!

Also, there were several bad charging/blocking calls.

Also, 3 or 4 bad calls on balls going out of bounds.

Why does it seem like good officiating is very hard to come by these days?!

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Angie and I had a good time, I think. The ISU crowd could have been better...I was disappointed with that number. Had it been a home game at Hilton, I think it would have gotten better attendance.

Oh, and there was the most obnoxious Bradley fan behind us...he gave me a headache.

**Not every life is perfect, but every life is precious. Support Rescue.**
    http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/nebraskabostonterrierrescue.html

Prospect
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Just FYI the Sally thing wasn't Cyclone Alley... it was the Pep Band Just a little plug for the band

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We had a Bradley fan that left something to be desired. He was talking trash and making comments how we suck. He obviously doesnt know our team well. While we do have some issues, we dont suck. We will see how well Bradley fairs when we start to build momentum =)

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 96

What do you define as "sucking" if we don't suck right now. I'm optimistic for the future and like watching our team play but right now we leave a lot to be desired.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My bad Pep Band! I couldnt see where it started exactly. I just assumed. Way to go Pep Band!

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

While I didn't agree with 2 of the blown calls my roommate who refs HS and Juco basketball games was watching the game on TV and had these 2 explanations on the calls:

The hanging on the rim call: technically it was not basket intereference as the replay showed that the ball did not touch the rim. Apparently per the rule book a defensive player can make contact with the rim as long as the shot does not touch the rim in the process. However, he said had it been a game that he was reffing he probably would have called it basket intereference because it happened so fast and looked pretty bad that instead of making a controversial no-call he would have a better case to argue since there was obvious contact with the rim.

The shot clock violation after steal of ball near center court: apparently replay showed he did not have possesion of the ball before we got it back so while to us it looked like the player was headed the other way he never had control to consider it a possession. I didn't agree with this call but I didn't get a good look at a replay either so it's probably one of those plays that could have gone either way I'm guessing.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 88

Looks like to me officials are starting to have trouble with the speed of the game. Agree totally on the goaltending call, how was that one missed? I watched the game on TV and have come to this conclusion: Doug Gottleib=Tool His comments were often times moronic.

Go Cyclones!!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Some of these refs are ancient and if they can keep up or be sharp, maybe they should ref something else. =) Ive never been a ref but can imagine it to pretty much suck.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    The hanging on the rim call: technically it was not basket intereference as the replay showed that the ball did not touch the rim. Apparently per the rule book a defensive player can make contact with the rim as long as the shot does not touch the rim in the process. However, he said had it been a game that he was reffing he probably would have called it basket intereference because it happened so fast and looked pretty bad that instead of making a controversial no-call he would have a better case to argue since there was obvious contact with the rim.
    Let me get this straight...you can grab the rim and pull down as look as the shot does not touch the rim in the process? If that's true, that rule is stupid. So someone could be shooting a 3-pointer and Wesley Johnson could be hanging on the rim (I know that would be a technical foul but based on this rule) and as long as he lets go before the ball touches it, then he is fine? Wow...

Thanks for the info trav.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    The shot clock violation after steal of ball near center court: apparently replay showed he did not have possesion of the ball before we got it back so while to us it looked like the player was headed the other way he never had control to consider it a possession. I didn't agree with this call but I didn't get a good look at a replay either so it's probably one of those plays that could have gone either way I'm guessing.
    I think that is just funny. In football, it takes a referee five minutes to see if a player has possession of a ball before he goes out of bounds, for example. At Saturdays game, a referee can go to the video for about two seconds and make the conclusion that a basketball player did or did not officially have possession of the ball while dribbling...In the case of the Bradley game, they REVERSED the call! Now come on...was there concrete evidence that he did not have possession? I thought he took two dribbles and then lost control, personally...

On another note, I referee a little bit and, in my opinion, the easiest calls to make are out-of-bounds calls. However, I see college referees struggle with this, and I just don't get it.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well at least this is how it was explained to me. I don't claim to know the rule well myself but my roommate has to know these things and any rule changes as he refs basketball at least 2 nights a week. I'm guessing that maybe since he was going to block the shot near the basket they consider that incidental and since the shot never touched the rim it's not interference? I think it if was something obvious like grabbing it while someone was shooting a 3 that would be a no-brainer.

Like I said, my roommate said that if that had happened in one of his games he would have called it interference just because it did not look very good and unless you had a great view of it you probably would not have seen if the ball hit the rim or not. But he also made a good arguement that per the rules the refs were not wrong either as replay showed the shot did not touch the rim.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    I think that is just funny. In football, it takes a referee five minutes to see if a player has possession of a ball before he goes out of bounds, for example. At Saturdays game, a referee can go to the video for about two seconds and make the conclusion that a basketball player did or did not officially have possession of the ball while dribbling...In the case of the Bradley game, they REVERSED the call! Now come on...was there concrete evidence that he did not have possession? I thought he took two dribbles and then lost control, personally...

On another note, I referee a little bit and, in my opinion, the easiest calls to make are out-of-bounds calls. However, I see college referees struggle with this, and I just don't get it.
    Did you see the replay? I didn't and I didn't like the call either when I was at the game but I heard from multiple people that were watching the game on TV that even the announcers agreed that he did not have control of the ball to call it change of possession.

Even if these calls would have gone our way, we played so poorly I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference. If you want to talk about all-time blown calls. Kansas hitting a 3 pointer between Jared Homan free throws a few years back then allowing the shot to count when it was a 2 shot foul has to be one of the all-time bonehead calls in college BB history.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 194

Bradley Fan "ISU Sucks " is what you are gonna have to put up with as long as the b-ball team plays this poorly.

Another thing that your gonna have to put up with is "How Good The Valley IS"...That will go on as long as the clones keep losing to teams from the Valley where you have very little to gain by winning and a whole lot to lose, if you can't come up with a victory over a mid-major team.

Lets hope next year is better!!