Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Is McD Getting Soft???

Just a ? here to see what others may think. I have heard a lot about this team not having the killer instinct to put people away and kick other teams while they have them down. Does anybody maybe think that McD is being a little cautious w/the current players and not riding them as hard in fear of losing them? I just noticed that you never really see him in a players face like he was Jiri or some other players in the past when they threw up bad shots or made stupid mistakes. Look at CB in the Iowa game for example. He took many off balance shots 15 feet or more away from the hoop while being pushed away from the basket and I never really saw McD lay in to him like he would have in the past. I am a McD supporter and want to see him turn this program around but this just caught me after watching a few games on tv this year. I have yet to be to a game in person so maybe I'm just missing it since they may not show it on tv.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Is McD Getting Soft???

I think the whole Wesley Johnson situation has made him cautious, but I hope he gets over it coming into Big 12 season.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

This is possible and I really wouldn't blame him. Heck, he has lost his best player basically without notice in each of his first 3 seasons, I would imagine he is worried about "running people off". Winning will cure this...

Prospect
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone4lyfe View Post
    Just a ? here to see what others may think. I have heard a lot about this team not having the killer instinct to put people away and kick other teams while they have them down. Does anybody maybe think that McD is being a little cautious w/the current players and not riding them as hard in fear of losing them? I just noticed that you never really see him in a players face like he was Jiri or some other players in the past when they threw up bad shots or made stupid mistakes. Look at CB in the Iowa game for example. He took many off balance shots 15 feet or more away from the hoop while being pushed away from the basket and I never really saw McD lay in to him like he would have in the past. I am a McD supporter and want to see him turn this program around but this just caught me after watching a few games on tv this year. I have yet to be to a game in person so maybe I'm just missing it since they may not show it on tv.
    I have heard he is soft during practice....especially with CB, I would imagine it is because of the whole WJ thing. He needs to toughen them up for the Big 12.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,554
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 60

He may be realizing what works for some doesn't work for others. Jiri got better the more McD rode him, Brackins has faded the more he has been tough coached. Judging by CB's performance yesterday, maybe the softer approach is getting Craig to step it up vs. getting frustrated and not producing.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd rather him be a hard *** and lose a player a year than be a softie and let his players do what they want.

Last edited by GeronimusClone; 12-29-2008 at 09:39 AM.
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.

GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    I'd rather him be hard *** and lose a player a year than be a softie and let his players do what they want.
    I agree with you but I don't think these players are "doing what they want". I just don't think a lot of these players are the type that would respond that well to "tough love".

Prospect
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think McD is soft and that is reflected in the way the players play. I also think McD almost lost Brackins last year and really had to work to keep him on the team.

Starter
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd rather him be hard *** and lose a player a year than be a softie and let his players do what they want.
    I agree. How can he expect the players to have the attitude and drive to be physical and pull out games if he's bottle feeding them and still changing their diapers? I've always been one to think that if you want players that hustle and step on a guys throat to help him win then you have to instill that in them by being that way yourself. I coached a group of under priviledged junior high kids for a couple years and they were all easy to just give up and walk away when you got on them or things got tough during a game. But the one thing they all did was walk back in apologize and give me more effort. I have kept in touch w/almost all of them and have been told my a majority of them that not only did me pushing them and riding them when they made mistakes make them a better ball player but it also made them a better man. They never had that at home as most lived in single parent homes where that parent was hardly ever around. If you want the killer instinct you have to instill it in some of these guys and keep on them until they have it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rhillary View Post
    I agree with you but I don't think these players are "doing what they want". I just don't think a lot of these players are the type that would respond that well to "tough love".
    Todays kids just can't take discipline.

Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

Starter
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Maybe he should bring in Bob Knight for a month to choke..... I mean whip these kids into shape

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd rather him be a hard *** and lose a player a year than be a softie and let his players do what they want.

I agree with your point. However, McD can't continue to lose players, have sub-par seasons, and keep his job.

Many folks on this board continue to say he is a bad coach and are calling for his job when most of his problems have occurred because the best player on our team has either been dismissed (Mike Taylor) or transferred (Wes Johnson).

If I were McD, I would be worried about players leaving too. His job definitely depends on Brackins and DJ staying put.

I don't know if its the climate of college athletics in general or what, but players today seem willing to drop everything and leave if they feel they are not being treated fairly or not getting the playing time they deserve. I don't know if players today are "soft" or the pariety in college athletics makes players feel like they can transfer and still be successful. In any event, McD may have to coddle some of the guys until they are Juniors and Seniors to get them to stay around.

I hate to see this happen, but maybe he has no other choice?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bleedcardinalandgold View Post
    I agree with your point. However, McD can't continue to lose players, have sub-par seasons, and keep his job.

Many folks on this board continue to say he is a bad coach and are calling for his job when most of his problems have occurred because the best player on our team has either been dismissed (Mike Taylor) or transferred (Wes Johnson).

If I were McD, I would be worried about players leaving too. His job definitely depends on Brackins and DJ staying put.

I don't know if its the climate of college athletics in general or what, but players today seem willing to drop everything and leave if they feel they are not being treated fairly or not getting the playing time they deserve. I don't know if players today are "soft" or the pariety in college athletics makes players feel like they can transfer and still be successful. In any event, McD may have to coddle some of the guys until they are Juniors and Seniors to get them to stay around.

I hate to see this happen, but maybe he has no other choice?
    I don't think he's a terrible coach, but if we are holding him to the standards of coaches that have lost their jobs at ISU under Pollard, he should be moving on soon.

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

If he is hard on Craig and this team tanks down the stretch, I have a feeling Craig would be gone and Mac knows that.

I did hear from a former player that during a practice Mac's first year they were doing a drill which Cory Johnson thought was too hard. He told Mac so and Mac blew the wistle and they changed the drill.

Maybe it's not something new, this might just be the way he coaches.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 157

For what it's worth I saw at least 2 different time where McD called a timeout. His assistants talked to the team and he took 1 single player to the side to talk to him about something or other. No it didn't look like he was hammering at him, but he was giving one-on-one instruction during the game. May not be the in your face style we sometimes like to see but it was good to see him go at the very reason that he called the timeout in the first place.