Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 0

Some comments about the UH game:

- First, the good stuff. This was a great win. Any road victory is good. UH may not be great but they hadn't lost since their first game of the year. They had confidence. And the teams they beat, they were destroying.

- Brackins was amazing. 50% from 3. 10 free throw attempts. All kinds of middle and post game. Nice rebounding.

- The only knocks I can see on Brackins are he had 6 TO. With that many possessions, though, his numbers were going to be high. Also, he only made 6 of 10 FTs. Not bad but not great.

- We held a team to less than 40% from the field for the game. BUT, ISU barely was at 40% themselves. Defensively, McD said we did what we wanted. We really need our offensive efficiency to be better, though, when holding a team to a low percentage. This game shouldn't have been that close. I'd like to see us at 50% or better.

- Nice assists total for the team. We had 15 assists on 28 made field goals. 5 from Petey and 5 from Diante.

- I believe that this was Hamilton's defining game. We'll see a lot more out of him in the future. This is the first game where looked in the flow of the game. Before he tended to look lost and rushed. He let the game come to him and he did a GREAT job. In fact, Ham's work is what somewhat enabled Brackins to go off like he did. Nothing would benefit Brackins more than having a powerful post threat opposite himself. The double and triple teams just can't happen. Couple that with 3 point shooting threats and it could be a dangerous offense when all things are clicking.

Great win over a decent team on the road. Now lets come back to Hilton and take care of Mercer.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Walk On
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Some comments about the UH game:

Agree that we need more offense from the rest of team. Brackins was shooting 65% (15 o 23), while the rest of the team is shooting 32% (13 of 40)

We cannot expect Brakins to have a career game every night he comes out

Walk On
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Alot of Brackins turnovers were when he got tired (EX: Last 2 min. of 1st half). It was a good team defensive effort. Everyone did great. Boozer gave us a lift off of the bench, and Hamilton played his best game as a Cyclone yet. Also, Eikmeier is still struggling with his shooting. We need to get him going.

Cyclone Football

It's the start of something big.

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Didn't see the game or even have a chance to listen to it on the radio but from the write up in the paper it sounds like Boozer put in some quality minutes also. Really helped out on the defensive side of the court which is good. I think his size could help us a lot especially disrupting shooters when we are on defense.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

It was a good win, but if Brackins doesn't go off, then we lose this game pretty easily. We need the other guys to step it up and start making some baskets

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 610

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal&Gold11 View Post
    It was a good win, but if Brackins doesn't go off, then we lose this game pretty easily. We need the other guys to step it up and start making some baskets

But the good thing is that we are only fans and dont have to worry about that. We just have to enjoy the wins when they come :)

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 196

I was at the game and had these observations:

+ It was a good win; especially on the road, and none-the-less right after an embarrassing loss to South Dakota State. As a result of that loss, Coach obviously shook up the starting lineup and rotation.

+ During warmups, I thought there's no way we were going to hold up to these guys. They had a big, strong center - something Brackins has difficulty with (ie Iowa), and Houston has quick guards, even if one of them looked like an extra for the Wizzard of Oz - sure sign of a 'Clone defeat.

+ Then I saw Head Coach Tom Penders walk out and sit on their bench and I knew we had a shot.

+ We played great double-team defense on their Center Cousins; absolutely smothering him, although I believe he had low double figures, it could have been worse. And Cousins played Brackins soft - did not force him outside on the inlet pass, and let him have some easy dunks. Coach Tom Penders must not have watched the Iowa game film.

+ Lucca went down with excruciating pain, hurting his left knee and was on his back for a long time as trainers worked on him. He sat out for most of crunch time - standing in the end zone running in place trying to keep loose. Only getting back into the game during the last couple minutes while Coach MacD played rotating chess men with Lucca and Boozer; using Lucca on offesive posessions. Let's hope there is no continuing difficulty with the knee going forward, but when he came back into the game he was noticible limping.

+ Something is wrong with Houston's interior D when a frosh like Ham has a strong game; not to mention what Brackins did. Having a speciman like Cousins you expect their front line to be more effective.

Then again, I looked at their bench and was reminded they are coached by Tom Penders.

+ Let me just say we have onetall, inexperienced front-court player, who last night looked like a slow-footed Clod-Hopper. Kinda embarrasing looking at him trying to finish a power layup. It couldn't have been an off night; I believe he's unnaturally gifted.....but he likes to shoot treys during warmup.

+ Listened to Coach Tom Penders post-game. He used a very familiar excuse: His team is "young and inexperienced"............Um coach, they also don't exhibit any front-line defense.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post

+ Listened to Coach Tom Penders post-game. He used a very familiar excuse: His team is "young and inexperienced"............Um coach, they also don't exhibit any front-line defense.
    I love comments like this from coaches. It's like they get them from ''I Just Got Beat And Need An Excuse - For Dummies!''

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,045
    Given: 11

Anyone else feel like part of the reason for this win was less PT for Haluska, Eik, and Thompson and more for Boozer, Buckley and Hamilton? I just feel like having those 3 guys (SH, WE, AT) on the floor, and often times on the floor at the same time, hurts us so much athletically. I only listened to the game, but several times I heard Boozer's name as getting his hand on a loose ball, coming up with a steal, getting an O board...or Buckely's name getting to the tin or leading the break. Nothing against WE or SH, I think Wes will be a good roleplayer for the next few years and I think SH is an assest if he can get is stroke going...but unless they are hitting their shots I think we are better served to play our more athletic guards.

As for Ham being better for us than AT tonight, I just feel like their skill sets are very similar and Ham brings a much more physical frame. I know AT's experience is vital, and he has a much better knack for defensive position, but he just looks under-sized and under-athletic compared to most the PFs we have played.

Just a thought...let me know if you agree or disagree.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 127

. . . Let me just say we have onetall, inexperienced front-court player, who last night looked like a slow-footed Clod-Hopper. Kinda embarrasing looking at him trying to finish a power layup. It couldn't have been an off night; I believe he's unnaturally gifted.....but he likes to shoot treys during warmup.
    Is this comment directed at Hamilton? Maybe you mean AT (3-point shooting in warmups), but "inexperienced," then, is throwing me.

Maybe you meant it to be descriptive, but, to me, Clod-Hopper is a pejorative, belittling term. Hope you didn't mean to use it the latter way.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    Is this comment directed at Hamilton? Maybe you mean AT (3-point shooting in warmups), but "inexperienced," then, is throwing me.

Maybe you meant it to be descriptive, but, to me, Clod-Hopper is a pejorative, belittling term. Hope you didn't mean to use it the latter way.
    I too am unsure who he's referring to - maybe Mann? I say that because he runs/shoots sort of awkward...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 182

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    Anyone else feel like part of the reason for this win was less PT for Haluska, Eik, and Thompson and more for Boozer, Buckley and Hamilton?
    Not sure about Eik playing less but the others I agree. The other 3 keep earning PT.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 196

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post

I obviously omitted the guy's name because of the sensitivity on this board about calling players out and commenting on their talent and aptitude. Let me correct myself with the "inexperienced" term, which after looking at the roster, I learned different. Which makes me shake my head in even more bewilderment - just not much talent and yes, in my opinion looked heavy-footed.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 127

. . . heavy-footed.
    IMHO (not that it matters), that's much better! (grin)

Still confused about who you're referring to, since JH is inexperienced, right? Maybe you mean AT. Someone else here said that he's nursing an ankle injury -- were you aware of that? Seems that would explain AT looking heavy-footed. Anyway. . . .

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!