Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Bracketology as of 12/15

Iowa State's exclusion from Charlie Creme's 12/15 NCAA bracket predictions is discussed in the attached link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/column...lie&id=2698806

Basically, he says the RPI is meaningless in December and we'll have to make hay in conference. (BTW, the Big 12 conference RPI is #4 right now behind Big 10, ACC, and SEC). That won't move much once conference play starts, so if we can perform like we should in conference, we'll be fine.

As of the games played through 12/16 we were at #17 in the RPI.

The head scratcher for me on his predictions is that Nebraska (RPI #43 and lost to Minnesota at home) and Kansas State (RPI #53) did make his field. While Nebraska is a gritty team, IMO they have a below average coach that can't seem to instill any consistency. K-State has great players, but a coach... well, read up on their Head Coach sometime; your head will spin. The worst part about the inclusion of NU and KSU is that they are the two teams I hate the most. (How dare Charlie not take my feelings into consideration?!?! )

I'm sure, come March, neither Nebraska or K-State will take our rightful place in the field of 64 and that once conference play starts we will get some national respect.

Last edited by fulll02; 12-17-2006 at 08:55 PM.

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 63

Re: Bracketology as of 12/15

Well, I guess I'll have to add Charlie Creme to my list of espn hacks that I ignore. I have trouble seeing Neb instead of us included. Oh well let's just play the games and prove the 'Experts' wrong. Go Twister Sisters!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

haha that was my ?!!!! f-ing right!!!..he is an idiot tho, he also fogot we beat uni, who is doing pretty good 2, i dont see how he can say the rpi is meaningless in dec, considering that is what non bcs school thrive on in dec, because it gets ur team a chance to play against non coference teams, i am going to email him again and make him feel dumb

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 19

"a whisker away from meaningless" would be a good description of a bracket prepared in December as well as early season RPI. Our RPI is going to slide as we run through a weak December schedule - that is math, not an indication of how good we are. It has been a few years since we accomplished anything in the tournament - we'll need to prove ourselves on the court to get early season attention in the future. The current roster can do well - it lacks the inherent athleticism that the top seeds have which allows them to win even if they play poorly - but, we have talent with depth in every position - I think the best inside-outside balance we've had in a long time. Our conference schedule will allow us to prove just how good we are.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Walk On
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Excellent work cmoore_23 getting the mention for ISU WBB!!!!

I don't want to take the oversights from polls and/or predictions as meaningless. There are so few people that cover WBB with a broad knowledge, that those who do can practically set a national reputation for a team with a few short key strokes.

My biggest question with the Bracketology is its definition of purpose. Is it to:
    A.) be an early season projection of what the NCAA field will be in March
    or
    B.) set a field of 64 if the season ended today.

The difference is subtle. But if the purpose is option B, then in no way can the current early season RPI results be excluded. RPI is a tool used in the selection process so Charlie Creme shouldn't pick and chose different tools. If the purpose is option A, than it's a guy and his crystal ball projecting a field based on things like prior season results, perceived team athleticism, national reputation, recruiting rankings and all sorts of other subjective things.

Option B puts ISU in the field. Option A has ISU playing the WNIT because of... what, Charlie?

Ultimately, these perceptions of team quality matter, because the entire process is so human. A bunch of AD's sit around a table and determine if a team is in and the subsequent seeding. Whether a team gets in and how far a team advances (due in large part to seedings), all can impact recruiting, which then goes back and impacts perceptions.

It's a big vicious circle that I want to have working for us, not against us.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 19

Good insights, fulll02. Even being mentioned is worthwhile. I agree that option B is actually "poll like" and ISU is clearly in the top 40 in the minds of most voters. But, evidently not Charlie's. The Nebraska pick, based on common opponents, also suggests a predisposition not influenced by on court performance this year. Assuming we don't get sidetracked before then, by Jan 6, the road game at MU, we'll have a good idea of where we stand.

It would be a mistake to look past Illinois State. Fennelly is doing things differently now, but, Robin Pingeton has a good team; knows us and has done well against us in the past.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 925

ISU's RPI in December is meaningless?

hmm... If RPIs in December are meaningless, then aren't preseason rankings? aren't preseason tourney projections? I mean, didn't ESPN pick Iowa as a final four football team if there was a football nat'l championship?

I'm beginning to realize that ESPN in general and folks like Mark May and Charlie Creme (isn't that a name with a lot of play to it - Charlie creams, etc...) in particular are meaningless all year long.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.