Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 55

Regression?!?!?!

I am very concerned that some CF members either have no clue what "regression" means or have a very selective memory. I have seen repeatedly how McDermott's teams have "regressed from year 1". If you really think that, you are a mental midget when it comes to basketball. Back in year 1, you may remember not getting a shot off about every 3 times down the court. You may also remember our horrid shooting and completely overwhelmed players (outside of a couple).

We have had some poor games this year, but I don't know how you can look at a game from this year and a game from 2 years ago and not see serious progress from the team. We now have shooters all over the court, good young depth that should really develop in the next year or two and that are actually buying in, and a good chunk of our players that are going to be solid Big 12 players by the time they're physically ready.

The young talent is obviously not going to be ready to dominate the Big 12 this year, or there wouldn't be senior walk-ons playing. However, they are going to upset some good teams this year with the same style that everybody cries about how it lets weaker teams hang with us. I sincerely hope you guys that have ragged on our guys and our coach the last couple of weeks are as quick to sing their praises when we are successful. I also hope that your bosses are as critical and wishy washy on your performances in your own jobs.

I for one have been encouraged by the PROGRESSION we have made from year 1 in terms of talent upgrades, depth, and ability to stretch the defense, especially considering the unforseen transfers that we've seen the last couple of years. There is not a doubt in my mind that McDermott is going to bring us up to an upper level Big 12 team on a yearly basis and once we get there some of you are going to be ashamed of yourselves. Lets use these last 3 non-conference home games to wake up the Magic and let these guys know that we're behind them and are going to do our part...and wishy washy guys, you're welcome to join in the cheering as well

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Recruit
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Regression?!?!?!

I don't think anyone expected us to dominate the Big 12 this year. However, with the non-conference schedule that we've played, we should have a better record than what we have. You're okay with losing to South Dakota State at home? I realize it's one game, but wow. The main reason I became a Cyclone fan was because of men's basketball when I was growing up (Hornacek, Stevens, Grayer, Thompkins, Virgil, etc). I can honestly tell you, I can't handle watching them right now. It's painful. It's unhealthy. We do have some young talent, we'll have to wait and see what McD can do with it. He hasn't convinced me of much yet.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131

I would comment, but apparently I'm a mental midget and struglge to funktion be-hind a kayboard.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 18

It doesn't help when your best player decides to leave.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    I am very concerned that some CF members either have no clue what "regression" means or have a very selective memory. I have seen repeatedly how McDermott's teams have "regressed from year 1". If you really think that, you are a mental midget when it comes to basketball. Back in year 1, you may remember not getting a shot off about every 3 times down the court. You may also remember our horrid shooting and completely overwhelmed players (outside of a couple).

We have had some poor games this year, but I don't know how you can look at a game from this year and a game from 2 years ago and not see serious progress from the team. We now have shooters all over the court, good young depth that should really develop in the next year or two and that are actually buying in, and a good chunk of our players that are going to be solid Big 12 players by the time they're physically ready.

The young talent is obviously not going to be ready to dominate the Big 12 this year, or there wouldn't be senior walk-ons playing. However, they are going to upset some good teams this year with the same style that everybody cries about how it lets weaker teams hang with us. I sincerely hope you guys that have ragged on our guys and our coach the last couple of weeks are as quick to sing their praises when we are successful. I also hope that your bosses are as critical and wishy washy on your performances in your own jobs.

I for one have been encouraged by the PROGRESSION we have made from year 1 in terms of talent upgrades, depth, and ability to stretch the defense, especially considering the unforseen transfers that we've seen the last couple of years. There is not a doubt in my mind that McDermott is going to bring us up to an upper level Big 12 team on a yearly basis and once we get there some of you are going to be ashamed of yourselves. Lets use these last 3 non-conference home games to wake up the Magic and let these guys know that we're behind them and are going to do our part...and wishy washy guys, you're welcome to join in the cheering as well
    I pray you're right, but right now I'm not seeing it. As long as we remain weak inside, we have no chance to compete in the Big XII.
    GMac's teams at UNI lived and died by the 3, we are doing the same and it just won't work in Big XII play.

Again, I pray you're right. I want you to be right!!!!

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 114

Why do people title thread supporting the coach to make it look like a negative topic?

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    A team of ISU walk-ons SHOULD be able to beat SDSU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

I think DG, Brackins and Peterson have improved, but then we replace two seniors and Wes J with a lot of freshmen. Yeah, that's gonna hurt a bit.

No matter how good your talent is... there's a difference between upper classmen and the young guys.

I was not a college athlete, but in highschool my first two years... the seniors seemed sooo much better than us and that even when we were their age... we'd never be that good. I was dying after each and every two a day practice.

Then junior and senior year... our team finished better (and was better) than the team's from the previous years did. Two a day practices were not hard at all... but I looked at those freshmen and saw them looking like they were ready to die as they trailed in behind us in sprints and mile runs.

There's also just a confidence factor of playing against somebody older and more experienced than you. And without that confidence that you 'just get' as an upper classment... you play differently and can have bad games.

It'll be nice when we have some scholarship upper classmen that just have that mentality that they can beat whoever is matching up against them. Brackins will have those bad games now and then... but he'll be a LOT more consistent next year and (the year after?).

I still like this team and I won't call for anybody's head for a while.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dbronco7sc View Post
    I think DG, Brackins and Peterson have improved, but then we replace two seniors and Wes J with a lot of freshmen. Yeah, that's gonna hurt a bit.

No matter how good your talent is... there's a difference between upper classmen and the young guys.

I was not a college athlete, but in highschool my first two years... the seniors seemed sooo much better than us and that even when we were their age... we'd never be that good. I was dying after each and every two a day practice.

Then junior and senior year... our team finished better (and was better) than the team's from the previous years did. Two a day practices were not hard at all... but I looked at those freshmen and saw them looking like they were ready to die as they trailed in behind us in sprints and mile runs.

There's also just a confidence factor of playing against somebody older and more experienced than you. And without that confidence that you 'just get' as an upper classment... you play differently and can have bad games.

It'll be nice when we have some scholarship upper classmen that just have that mentality that they can beat whoever is matching up against them. Brackins will have those bad games now and then... but he'll be a LOT more consistent next year and (the year after?).

I still like this team and I won't call for anybody's head for a while.
    What he said.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    GMac's teams at UNI lived and died by the 3
    No, his teams at UNI didn't exactly "live or die" by the 3. His good teams had one or two TOUGH SOB's in the paint. It's a huge part of Mac's system and for whatever reason, he hasn't been able to get any tough SOB's. He made Jiri tougher than he was. Craig just doesn't seem to have the mental makeup to be a SOB (I think Mac thought he could mold him into one, maybe he still will). I think Hamilton and Pomlee have the potential but that might be years away...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    I think Hamilton and Pomlee have the potential but that might be years away...
    Not sure about Pomlee until we see him play. Hamilton looks to have raw talent, once he gets experence and coaching he could be good. People forget how rough around the edges Homan was his first 2 years. He did work his *** off on the court but he had to work on his game a lot.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    and not just your best player, but the "one" player you have centered your whole team around

There are not many crowds or places in the country that have a better impact on the game than at Iowa State. The Cyclone fans are truly a sixth man. The place is so loud and always a fantastic crowd." - Former Kansas and current North Carolina head coach Roy Williams

Recruit
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    No, his teams at UNI didn't exactly "live or die" by the 3. His good teams had one or two TOUGH SOB's in the paint. It's a huge part of Mac's system and for whatever reason, he hasn't been able to get any tough SOB's. He made Jiri tougher than he was. Craig just doesn't seem to have the mental makeup to be a SOB (I think Mac thought he could mold him into one, maybe he still will). I think Hamilton and Pomlee have the potential but that might be years away...

Brackins is only a sophomore and will eventually be that "SOB". Remember how Fizer changed from soph to junior year? He went from being a boy in rec specs to a 240lb beast! I'm hoping for that same transformation over the course of next summer!

Go State!!!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brinkch View Post
    Brackins is only a sophomore and will eventually be that "SOB". Remember how Fizer changed from soph to junior year? He went from being a boy in rec specs to a 240lb beast! I'm hoping for that same transformation over the course of next summer!
    He also got an NBA PG in that time.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

The January 10 game at UT will be a good indicator of where things stand, and what to expect for the rest of the year. UT is a pretty young team with only two seniors.

In fact, it would seem that there are quite a few young teams in the Big 12. As such, if ISU is truly progressing as a team, they should be competitive in most of the conference games and should win a few. If that doesn't happen, then that will be a pretty good indicator that the program is going in the wrong direction. "Regressing" or whatever you want to call it...

Right now, it just doesn't look too good. Sorry...

Last edited by jbhtexas; 12-27-2008 at 11:25 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy