Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 588
    Given: 421

Tim Burton

Apple - Trailers - 9

Have you seen this preview? Crazy stuff.

If you like Tim Burton, what is your favorite movie of his?

The guy is a phenomenal director and has one of the most twisted artistic minds. Love it.

My favorite has to be Beetle Juice. I liked Sleepy Hollow alot as well.

He's currently working on Alice in Wonderland (with a fantastic cast), I can only imagine what that will be like.

Last edited by bos; 12-26-2008 at 09:43 AM.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 772
    Given: 3,095

Re: Tim Burton

Hmm... Either Ed Wood or Edward Scissorhands, I think. I adore Tim Burton, though.

M 7/09

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 16

I liked Big Fish. Of course Beetlejuice is another Burton favorite.

"The bass, the rock,
    The mic, the treble,
    I like my coffee black,
    Just like my metal."

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupnmustard View Post
    I liked Big Fish. Of course Beetlejuice is another Burton favorite.

I thought Big Fish was underrated. I love its storytelling.

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

Beetlejuice, Big Fish and wasn't Sweeney Todd his? If so, then that is at the top.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Hmm... Either Ed Wood or Edward Scissorhands, I think. I adore Tim Burton, though.

I would have pegged you for Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    I would have pegged you for Pee Wee's Big Adventure.
    I TOTALLY forgot about Pee Wee!! I love that movie - have it on both VHS and DVD. Yeah, that's probably tied with Ed Wood as my favorite.

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 184

Hands down Edward Scissorhands for me. Big Fish a close second. By far my favorite Director/Producer.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 603
    Given: 389

Nightmare before XMAS....

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

Burton is just producing, but the director that did "WANTED" is doing this. It's a bit like The Orphanage, if anyone's seen that. It felt like del Toro, but he was only the producer. Obviously his influences helped the project, but it wasn't an official Guillermo del Toro film.

I've got a mixed bag of feeling for Burton. His films have been good, but not great, not since the days of Edward Scissorhands, Batman, Beetlejuice, etc. It also kind of annoys me that he has his current girlfriend in nearly every film he does now, no matter how well she fits into the part.

Kind of looking forward to his next two films though, Frankenweenie (if anyone's ever seen the short he included on the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD), and his own interpretation of Alice in Wonderland... although I have a feeling that's going to turn out much like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Favorite movies of his are probably Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas. He needs to return to his original vibe badly, because this new emo, Hot Topic crap he's spewing out with Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd is getting pretty old.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Burton is just producing, but the director that did "WANTED" is doing this. It's a bit like The Orphanage, if anyone's seen that. It felt like del Toro, but he was only the producer. Obviously his influences helped the project, but it wasn't an official Guillermo del Toro film.

I've got a mixed bag of feeling for Burton. His films have been good, but not great, not since the days of Edward Scissorhands, Batman, Beetlejuice, etc. It also kind of annoys me that he has his current girlfriend in nearly every film he does now, no matter how well she fits into the part.

Kind of looking forward to his next two films though, Frankenweenie (if anyone's ever seen the short he included on the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD), and his own interpretation of Alice in Wonderland... although I have a feeling that's going to turn out much like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Favorite movies of his are probably Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Christmas. He needs to return to his original vibe badly, because this new emo, Hot Topic crap he's spewing out with Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd is getting pretty old.

Yeah hes producing it, but you can tell it his influence for sure. I enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it is definitely a hate it or love it type movie. I wasnt much of a fan of Sweeney Todd, but mostly for the story..which wasnt his. The acting and presentation was well done.

The negatives you pointed out seem to be common these days with talented directors. Just look at what Steven Speilberg has dont to movies lately. Seems he has lost his touch on what made his earlier movies great.

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Yeah hes producing it, but you can tell it his influence for sure. I enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it is definitely a hate it or love it type movie. I wasnt much of a fan of Sweeney Todd, but mostly for the story..which wasnt his. The acting and presentation was well done.

The negatives you pointed out seem to be common these days with talented directors. Just look at what Steven Speilberg has dont to movies lately. Seems he has lost his touch on what made his earlier movies great.
    I liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as well on its own, but as a Burton movie, it seemed very off the mark for what I was expecting. The younger crowd didn't like it (for the most part) because it was too weird and scary, and the older crowd didn't like it because it was too juvenile. I think he was trying too hard to give it a broad appeal that he just ended up failing to appeal to either age group.

He was just at his prime when his movies were inspired by self-reflection, which is mostly what Edward Scissorhands was. The emotion that seeped out was effortless, and revealed a true talent of his, which is to appeal to himself first, and let that honesty lead to a great film that appeals to everyone else.

I have to disagree about Spielberg, though. With the exception of Indy 4 and A.I., I've liked every one of his other films, especially Catch Me If You Can. He hasn't forgotten his formula, and it shows with every film he does, even if it can somewhat dampen the experience, such as in War of the Worlds.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It also kind of annoys me that he has his current girlfriend in nearly every film he does now, no matter how well she fits into the part.
    I really kind of like Helena Bonham Carter (loved her in Fight Club, think she does a great Bellatrix LeStrange in the Harry Potter movies, but I agree - she doesn't have to be in everything. I really like Frances McDormand, but she doesn't have to be in every Coen movie, either, whether or not she's married to Joel. It kind of cheapens them as actresses if they get the job via nepotism.

I absolutely love Nightmare Before Christmas (it's one of my favorites, but I didn't include it since he didn't direct it), but I think the underground success it got at Hot Topic and with goth kids did Burton a huge disservice. Now he panders to that crowd. Every population deserves representation, but I don't think that you can just make movies for a small subset of the population. I was disappointed by Corpse Bride, and really didn't like Sweeney Todd very much (which I found shocking, considering that I adore Depp and really like Burton). I really enjoyed Frankenweenie on the Nightmare DVD, so I hope it's as good as that was.

M 7/09