Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Want McDermott gone...?

For all you people that want McDermott gone, I have an honest, level-headed question for you.

If JP were to fire Mac (like MANY want, but clearly won't happen), are you willing to part with Gilstrap and Colvin as well? Because I can guarantee you, they'd be getting out of the LOI and going somewhere else.

As much as it sucks, players commit to coaches, not schools. And as much as it sucks losing to SDSU, throwing the coach out the window will set us back further than you could ever imagine.

I look forward to seeing your responses.

"They'd write things like...Lloyd. See you around....maybe."

--Lloyd Dobler

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 114

Re: Want McDermott gone...?

You should keep a coach becuase of his recurits. But McD shouldnt be fired after 3 years.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 3

I am not the biggest fan of Mac's style of play. The offense just does not have enough movement to create shots and better percentage shots. You can have all kinds of talent on the floor, but if you do not know how to coach that talent and get the most out of it you as a coach and player will suffer. Will Mac get fired? no, but this style has to change because as of right now it is not working. Need more passion out of him and players we beat Houston then maybe some confidence will start arising. Last night was just not good at all where was the effort? Maybe they were all looking forward to the holidays, but to lose to SDSU come on boys you are better than that.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I dont think he should get fired, unless he is getting the same shake as Wayne Morgan, and then he should. This is a message board and I am just venting that their style of play is brutal right now. I would personally just like to see Mac adjust his game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by scyclonekid View Post
    I am not the biggest fan of Mac's style of play. The offense just does not have enough movement to create shots and better percentage shots. You can have all kinds of talent on the floor, but if you do not know how to coach that talent and get the most out of it you as a coach and player will suffer. Will Mac get fired? no, but this style has to change because as of right now it is not working. Need more passion out of him and players we beat Houston then maybe some confidence will start arising. Last night was just not good at all where was the effort? Maybe they were all looking forward to the holidays, but to lose to SDSU come on boys you are better than that.

Amen brother!!! I can't believe how much our offense stands around and does nothing. Drake did a nice job of setting high screens, rolling to the basket, and finding space on the floor. We have 4 guys behind the 3 point line with Brackins calling for the ball

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Well, it's not "playground ball", which I'm sure makes people happy, right?

Unless by playground, you mean we look like 4th graders out there....

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is funny when people rag on Mac's style of offense, calling it slow and boring to watch. If you remember LE's offense was called the same thing until our two amazing seasons. Any offense will be boring when you don't have the players. I promise if Mac had Fizer, Tinsley, Horton, Nurse, etc it wouldn't look slow at all. Let him get his horses together then see what happens.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,192
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 67

I see it breaking down like this:

This year: We stink it up.

Next Year: We have a Colvin, at PG. Finally we'll have a guy that can penetrate and break defenses down. We'll have DG on the wing to cause havoc. CB down low with Gilstrap + Pom.

The Year After: We'll have some seniors with experience, something this team needs stat! Plus, an influx of talented recruits to learn and back them up.

I see this year as the real breaking point for coach Mac. Either he gets it done and done right or he hits the road to become an assistant at Wisconsin.

I'm in a lot of pain. I love ISU, I've gone to BBall games since forever and have been witness to the enormous energy and enthusiasm that Hilton Magic (TM) can bring. It's a memory now.

When Mac was hired I was concerned about his ability to recruit talent, not his ability to coach. Funny thing is that I think the opposite now. Where is the methodical, machine like precision we saw out of his UNI squads? Where are the picks, screens, crisp passes and motion? WTF has happened to this team?!

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Colvin would be kept if Robinson was to stay on with the new staff. Gilstrap is a one year player. If it ment bringing in a coach I felt would serve the program better in terms of on the court development and progress I wouldn't have a problem losing 2 recruits.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Prospect
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I don't want him fired, I just want a quality product on the floor that I am not embarrassed by.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneryan View Post
    It is funny when people rag on Mac's style of offense, calling it slow and boring to watch. If you remember LE's offense was called the same thing until our two amazing seasons. Any offense will be boring when you don't have the players. I promise if Mac had Fizer, Tinsley, Horton, Nurse, etc it wouldn't look slow at all. Let him get his horses together then see what happens.
    I have been on the McD bandwagon until now....He has the talent on the floor to beat SDS, I am sorry. Now maybe this argument works when we play big 12 powers, but last night was awful. I really question McD's in-game coaching to get the team's head in the game. d

We have plenty of outside shooters. We have a couple good penetrators. We have a solid post in Brackins. We have big guys that should be rebounding and putting back bunnies. To me, this should make for a good offense. So what is the problem? and don't tell me its talent. Talented teams lose all the time to hard working well coached teams.

Recruit
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneryan View Post
    Well-said cycloneryan! These guys are still young. No one has more than one year of Division 1 experience. There are going to be games like last night. There may also be a game this season where they upset a top-20 team. When we get Colvin and Gilstrap along with the returnees, next year will be a different story. This year will be painful, but it is not time to press the panic button and call for McD's firing.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am frustrated with our MBB team as well - but I don't think the answer is firing McD. We need to remember a few things that while may seem like excuses - are reality and I highly doubt we would be in any better position than we are now in this rebuilding project.

1. Significant defections from the team when Morgan left, thus having to bring in whomever we could get at the time. Not McD's fault.

2. Last year guys were very young and the loss of Mike Taylor was significant and DG and Petey had to learn on the job. Loss of Lucca.

3. Loss of W. Johnson and 1/2 of the kids on the team are new so there is a big learning curve there for the frosh as well as any juco coming in. It takes at least 1 full year in the B12 to get broken in as a B12 player.

4. APR - the team was in deep trouble and is currently on the NCAA watch list due to all the defections. I think we were short on schollies too. Therefore, I think we needed to bring in kids that were better academically and maybe not get some of the kids that were more borderline, yet great athletes.

According to McD it will take another 1-1/2 years of no problems to get off the NCAA watch list.

I also like a more run and gun offense - however - I think it is more a function of who is running it and is everyone running it effectively.

I do wonder about McD's substitution patterns. I think we need to ID 5 starters and those are the main guys - rotating 2-4 others to contribute. Also seems that guys might be having a really good game and he pulls them for awhile.

I'm no BB expert by any means... but that is how I see things.

I was at the game last night and it was not pretty. In fact, it was boring/difficult/painful to watch. Losing to SDSU is definitely a low point - at home no less. The place where we once had a 40+ home winning streak.

Sorry for the long note!

Last edited by Klonz; 12-24-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Lucca

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Pollard basically said it himself - when hope fades and tickets sales begin to shrink dramatically - that's the time a coaching change will be made. That's what happened with Danny Mac and that's what will happen to Greggy Mac if this continues.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by jakemcilroy View Post
    For all you people that want McDermott gone, I have an honest, level-headed question for you.

If JP were to fire Mac (like MANY want, but clearly won't happen), are you willing to part with Gilstrap and Colvin as well? Because I can guarantee you, they'd be getting out of the LOI and going somewhere else.

As much as it sucks, players commit to coaches, not schools. And as much as it sucks losing to SDSU, throwing the coach out the window will set us back further than you could ever imagine.

I look forward to seeing your responses.
    Absolutely! Because if you are willing to put the future of ISU basketball in the hands of a coach who cannot beat SDSU at home with what he has..........then exactly what leap of faith must a fan take to think he can beat them with talent we haven't even seen?