Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Comparing Recruiting

Just wanted to see what people thought about Chizik's ability to recruit compared to Mac's. I know most people are sour on Chizik and like Mac, but lets hear your honest opinions.

I think when Mac lost some good assistants his recruiting and record suffered causing him to recruit Juco's. That left his team's pretty shallow his last couple of years.

I think Chiz's 2008 class is the best overall class that we have had in the last 5 years. Here are most of the players that contributed and their class.

2008(true freshman) - Benton, Darks, S. Johnson, L. Johnson, Mahoney

2007 - dont know who's class to call this because of the job switch.

2006 (redshirt soph, true Juniors)- Arnaud, Lamaak, Parker, ARob, McDowell

2005 - (redshirt Jun, Seniors) James Smith, Chris Singleton, Marquis, Catlett, Reggie Stephens

2004 - (redshirt Seniors) Chris Brown, RJ, Scales, Travis Ferguson

I didnt count any JC guys because they only help for a short time and they didnt affect this last year. Look at how few of kids played out of the 2004 and 2005 classes, which should have been our seniors.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Re: Comparing Recruiting

Ruemp and Bykowski also started a game or two as true frosh this year and Haughton and Ferguson saw ALOT of PT. Not to mention some of the promising guys that redshirted... that 08 class is GOOD...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I agree in theory about not wanting to see us recruit JUCO's, but it isn't really fair to eliminate them when they were a key part of those recruiting classes. Add Lamarcus Hicks, Tim Dobbins, Ahtyba Rubin, and Alvin Ace Bowen to your 2004-2006 list and it changes things quite a lot.

The 2008 class has a lot of potential but I'm not ready to crown them anything yet. Some of those guys would not have seen the field yet at most if not all other Big 12 schools. Sed and Darks probably played more than they should have this year as part of Chizik's youth movement, and the two CB's made some big plays but also gave up a lot of big plays.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    The 2008 class has a lot of potential but I'm not ready to crown them anything yet. Some of those guys would not have seen the field yet at most if not all other Big 12 schools. Sed and Darks probably played more than they should have this year as part of Chizik's youth movement, and the two CB's made some big plays but also gave up a lot of big plays.
    True, but the 05 and 06 classes left us in a bad spot of having to play alot of young guys at key positions... I wouldn't say it was due to the 'Youth Movement' as much as necessity...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

You should also compare recruiting to the one man staff at Auburn:
    The Auburn University Official Athletic Site - Football

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    You should also compare recruiting to the one man staff at Auburn:
    The Auburn University Official Athletic Site - Football
    LOL.

Gene has surrounded himself with all his friends!

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 616

Quote Originally Posted by Costanza View Post
    Just wanted to see what people thought about Chizik's ability to recruit compared to Mac's. I know most people are sour on Chizik and like Mac, but lets hear your honest opinions.
    Chizik was a far better recruiter.

I think when Mac lost some good assistants his recruiting and record suffered causing him to recruit Juco's. That left his team's pretty shallow his last couple of years.
    Sorry, I laughed out loud when I read this. I liked Mac, but his real problems started when, by choice and design, he went for the "quick fix" after the insight.com Bowl, and signed a boatload of juco transfers. Second mistake was relying on the recruiting scraps and conversions that Loney had managed to turn into decent offensive lines--and his successors couldn't. Mac also signed far too many Iowa kids, who clogged the roster and never contributed.

Note that I didn't say that it was bad to sign Iowa kids, just that it was bad to sign too many of them, the ones who never had a chance in the first place.

I didnt count any JC guys because they only help for a short time and they didnt affect this last year. Look at how few of kids played out of the 2004 and 2005 classes, which should have been our seniors.
    Chizik had an interesting tendency to find juco sophs to get into the S&C program.

I think Chiz's 2008 class is the best overall class that we have had in the last 5 years. Here are most of the players that contributed and their class.
    As far as base athleticism, and talent across the board, the '08 class is the best I've seen at ISU in the past thirty years that I've been watching.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    The 2008 class has a lot of potential but I'm not ready to crown them anything yet. Some of those guys would not have seen the field yet at most if not all other Big 12 schools.
    You realize you're saying this about the best conference in the country? That's kinda like saying "Some of these guys wouldn't start as rookies for the '07 Patriots".
    Sed and Darks probably played more than they should have this year as part of Chizik's youth movement, and the two CB's made some big plays but also gave up a lot of big plays.
    Lots of freshmen do that, especially when safety help is nonexistent. And Darks reminded me a bit of Tracy Henderson, the reason for him not to play was more his slender (6-1 167) build, than any lack of skills.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 588
    Given: 321

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Chizik was a far better recruiter.

Sorry, I laughed out loud when I read this. I liked Mac, but his real problems started when, by choice and design, he went for the "quick fix" after the insight.com Bowl, and signed a boatload of juco transfers. Second mistake was relying on the recruiting scraps and conversions that Loney had managed to turn into decent offensive lines--and his successors couldn't. Mac also signed far too many Iowa kids, who clogged the roster and never contributed.

Note that I didn't say that it was bad to sign Iowa kids, just that it was bad to sign too many of them, the ones who never had a chance in the first place.

Chizik had an interesting tendency to find juco sophs to get into the S&C program.

As far as base athleticism, and talent across the board, the '08 class is the best I've seen at ISU in the past thirty years that I've been watching.
    Yeah, but we really needed some of those Jucos Mac signed after the insight bowl.... like Seneca Wallace, Tim Dobbins, Jeremy Lloyd, Lamarcus Hicks, Lance Young, etc. The OL Jucos that year did not pan out unfortunately, but it is hard to blame for going after them since our OL cupboard was beyond bare. Many of our All-Conf and NFL players in the Mac years were Jucos.

I think we we will always have to recruit a few Jucos here and there at Iowa State. Hopefully we can keep it in the 3-6 a year range, plugging in holes with Jucos and going after studs like the above mentioned players. We don't want to get to a point where we are signing 15 a year, but we will always have the need for a few to plug holes here and there and infuse talent onto our roster.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Yeah, but we really needed some of those Jucos Mac signed after the insight bowl.... like Seneca Wallace, Tim Dobbins, Jeremy Lloyd, Lamarcus Hicks, Lance Young, etc. The OL Jucos that year did not pan out unfortunately, but it is hard to blame for going after them since our OL cupboard was beyond bare. Many of our All-Conf and NFL players in the Mac years were Jucos.
    My main objection to that class was that Mac apparently had a great reaction for California high schools after the bowl win, with an excellent L.A. area recruiter on staff (am I thinking of Kirby Wilson? The former Illinois wideout?), and rather than establishing a four year baseline of talent, went for the quick fix--as if Cyclone fans wouldn't have been patient for a couple of years. And those OL recruits were a disaster. Many didn't even qualify.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Starting at the bottom, you better just get talent wehere you can get it. The worse is when players leave before their time is up.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Some of the Juco's were good, but my point was in long term it leaves you with no 4 or 5 year players actually contributing. This pattern causes you to have 2-10 years.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    My main objection to that class was that Mac apparently had a great reaction for California high schools after the bowl win, with an excellent L.A. area recruiter on staff (am I thinking of Kirby Wilson? The former Illinois wideout?), and rather than establishing a four year baseline of talent, went for the quick fix--as if Cyclone fans wouldn't have been patient for a couple of years. And those OL recruits were a disaster. Many didn't even qualify.
    Yes or else they didnt make it through the spring or the summer (I think just Colin Menard and Emanuel Valencourt made it out of the 5 or 6 JC OLmen and they weren't as good as advertised). They apparently weren't cut out for D1 ball. Remember Max Steward, the Stud California Juco LB in that class? He was his conference player of the year and a 4* recruit. I remember a friend of mine who was on the team at the time telling me that none of the coaches knew what happened to him (at least at first), he didn't show up in the summer when he was supposed to and none of the coaches could reach him. He just went AWOL and they couldn't reach him even by phone.

I do think after that class Mac did much better due diligence on his Jucos... they didn't all pan out but they at least qualified and made it to campus for practice. It seemed to me that Chizik did a really good job of that too, all of his Jucos pretty much qualified and made it.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    I do think after that class Mac did much better due diligence on his Jucos... they didn't all pan out but they at least qualified and made it to campus for practice. It seemed to me that Chizik did a really good job of that too, all of his Jucos pretty much qualified and made it.
    True, but I think that class was the beginning of the downfall of the program--Mac just never really recovered, it became an endless process of trying to "fill holes", rather than build talent. And four or five years later was where it really hurt.

Of course, it also didn't help that every placekicker he signed thereafter got hurt, sometimes as little as a couple of weeks after signing day.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Costanza View Post
    Some of the Juco's were good, but my point was in long term it leaves you with no 4 or 5 year players actually contributing. This pattern causes you to have 2-10 years.
    It does, but in Mac's case, without Jucos, we would have never had those 9-3 and 7-5 bowl seasons either. Probably not a single one of them, maybe one bowl season tops. Without his first big Juco class, no insight bowl, and possibly no more Mac as coach of ISU. Without Jucos like Seneca Wallace and Jeremy Lloyd, we have no Independence Bowl and Boise Bowl, no Top 10 ranking, and no 5 year winning streak over Iowa. Without L Hicks and Tim Dobbins we probalby don't go back to the Independence Bowl or the Houston Bowl.

So you have to take the bad with the good when recruiting Jucos.