Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 14

Recruiting in the "cold states".............

is a tricky business to be sure. I don't know whether the following will add credence to anyone's argument with regard to recruiting the "warm states" or the populated states, but please look it over and see what you derive from it. Below is a partial list of "cold weather" schools and their current recruiting numbers. I am sorry if it isn't as specific as it could be for analysis, but there are some general conclusions that can be made. I am interested in your conclusions, or general impressions, if you have the time to wade through what I found today.

--------Total recruits --- Same state ----- South recruits ----Where From

Colo ............8................... 2...................... ...4 .....................TX,CA
    Illinois .......17 ...................7 .........................3 .....................FL
    Indiana .....14 ...................5 .........................0
    Iowa .........12 ...................5 .........................1 ................... .FL
    ISU ...........16 ...................3 ........................11 ............ .......TX,FL,OK, CAL
    Kansas ......17 ...................3 ........................11 ....................TX,OK,FL
    Kansas S ....8 ....................1 .........................4 ....................LA,OK
    Mich. .........20 ...................3 ........................11....................TX,FL,CAL,ARIZ
    Mich. S. .....18 ..................10 .........................0
    Minn. ........18 ....................6 .........................7 ...................TX,FL,CA
    Missou ......18 ..................10 .........................6 .................. TX, CA
    Neb. ......... 22 .................. 2 ................... ....14 ..................TX,FL,CA
    Notre D ..... 18 .................. 2 ........................ 7 .................. TX,FL,CA,TEN.
    Ohio S ....... 24 ................ 13 ........................ 5 .................. FL,KEN.
    Oregon ...... 14 ................. 1 ........................ 11 ..................CAL
    Penn St. ..... 22 ................. 6 ........................ 2 .................. TX,NC
    Purdue ....... 16 ................. 0 ........................ 15 ................. FLA,TEX,KY,GA
    Washington . 9 .................. 3 ........................ 6 .................. CA,TX

Totals .......... 301 ............... 82 ...................... 118

27% or one in four recruits are from their own colleges' state. 39% or 4 out of ten are from much warmer areas than the home college. Exceptions abound of course.
    The state of Iowa has 10 players represented here. One of them is committed to Michigan State and is a 4 star OL. The other nine are split between Iowa and Iowa State. Notice that Indiana and Michigan State have no recruits from southern locales. Michigan State, Ohio State, and Missouri have the highest number of recruits from their own state, while ISU, Kansas, Michigan, Nebraska, and Purdue have the highest number of southern recruits. Any surprises here? Thanks.

Go Cyclones

Last edited by Balrog; 12-23-2008 at 02:16 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

Re: Recruiting in the "cold states".............

Kind of hard to read

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal&Gold11 View Post
    Kind of hard to read
    I am sorry it is hard to read. It's a long story. Did the best I could.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Good work, thanks for taking the time to put this together. I did understand it.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 22

I think all this shows is that high football tradition schools don't have a problem recruiting from the south.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iowast8fan View Post
    I think all this shows is that high football tradition schools don't have a problem recruiting from the south.
    Agreed.
    I was surprised to see that same state schools differ dramatically in their recruiting results for 2008. Michigan has 20 recruits, 3 of which are from Michigan, and 11 are from the south. Michigan State however, out of 18 recruits, have 10 committments from their home state and none from the south.
    Indiana, Purdue, and Notre Dame differ substantially as well. Indiana has no recruits from the south, Purdue has 15, and Notre Dame has 7.