Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 80

Key to ISU athletics success (eventually)?

Coaches native to the state of Iowa or the upper Middlewest?

We all know ISU is a special place generally, and most of us believe that with steadfast, level-headed leadership Cyclone athletics can be special, too.

But, other than we diehards, who really believes this? We're hardly a blip on the national radar. Seems to me we need to hire excellent coaches with roots in our regional culture. Seems like we're there:

FBL - Paul Rhoads (Ankeny)
    MBB - Greg McDermott (Cascade)
    WBB - Bill Fennelly (Davenport)
    Wres - Cael Sanderson (ISU alum, a great Cyclone all-time all-American)

These coaches - each and every one of them - knows Iowa State University intimately. These coaches are Iowans in heart. I could be wrong (often am), but seems to me this is a key consideration when looking to the stability of our program in the coming years.

(I worry about VB coach Christy Johnson. Great coach. To her is ISU a stepping stone, or is she wedded to the Cyclones in a way beyond just career?)

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 0

Re: Key to ISU athletics success (eventually)?

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    (I worry about VB coach Christy Johnson. Great coach. To her is ISU a stepping stone, or is she wedded to the Cyclones in a way beyond just career?)
    Not going anywhere. She will continue to build ISU into a national power, and has no designs on leaving. She has already turned down several schools.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Coaches native to the state of Iowa or the upper Middlewest?

So, you exclude the 98% of the US population that doesn't have "Iowa/midwest ties" simply for fear of losing someone to a "bigger program". Why did ISU bother hiring Christy Johnson in the first place? Should have just hired someone whose goal in life is to live in Iowa.

Look, I understand a lot of people are excited today and that's fine. But this idea that to win at ISU you must have "Iowa ties" and must be committed to staying here for the rest of your existence is crazy. Tim Floyd had ZERO Iowa ties and left behind 3 consecutive 20 win seasons + Marcus Fizer + Larry Eustachy to ISU when he went to the Bulls. Yet, to listen to some of you on here, McDermott is the superior choice because he is an "Iowa kid" and will stay here. Sorry, I will take the winning regardless of the source and I could not care less where someone is from and that includes the players on the team as well.

Marcus Fizer, Jamaal Tinsley, Kantrail Horton, Stevie Johnson, Mike Nurse. The starting five of the greatest ISU BB team in my life. Not a single Iowan among them.

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

She played at Nebraska and was an assistant coach there too. So she has regional ties as well.

You are also forgetting Corey Ihmels, men's and women's track and cross country. He was an all-american during his time as an ISU runner and he is from North Dakota.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've heard that, despite common misconceptions, the key is getting people in place that will lead to more points being scored than points are scored by opponents. Doesn't matter if they're from Iowa, eastern Iowa, Germany, Madagascar, Greenland, or Altair 4.

Though, to be fair, Altairians are quite "advanced".

What do you mean, "Flash Gordon approaching"?

My Policy:
    No stone throwing regardless of housing situation.*

Prospect
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    this idea that to win at ISU you must have "Iowa ties" and must be committed to staying here for the rest of your existence is crazy.
    I think what most of us want is a leader who can get results first and foremost. If he can get attached to ISU in the way that DMC or Loney or Sanderson or Orr or Gary Thompson others have - great.

Sometimes, folks appreciate being given an opportunity by ISU. Christy Johnson is apparently now loyal to ISU (based on Pollard's comments). Others will always be looking for the next step up.

If Rhoads has Iowa ties or ISU loyalty and can produce, while maintaining the integrity in the program we expect - awesome. We have exactly what I want.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

So, you exclude the 98% of the US population that doesn't have "Iowa/midwest ties" simply for fear of losing someone to a "bigger program".
    No. My contention is that ISU's status in the college athletics world benefits from home-grown or near-grown coaches.

Why did ISU bother hiring Christy Johnson in the first place? Should have just hired someone whose goal in life is to live in Iowa.
    Christy is from Omaha and was a great player at NU. She grew up spitting distance from Iowa, close enough in my book. She's near-grown, she's not from Timbuktu.

this idea that to win at ISU you must have "Iowa ties" and must be committed to staying here for the rest of your existence is crazy.
    Why do you go off the deep end? I said nothing about having to have Iowa ties to win at ISU, my point is that he might be valuable linkage. Committed to staying here until their dying day? I said that? I don't think so.

Tim Floyd . . . to listen to some of you on here, McDermott is the superior choice because he is an "Iowa kid" and will stay here.
    I said that? I mentioned Tim Floyd? Let me go look. Hmmmm. Nope. Maybe you're not referring to my post at all. If so, excuse me.

-George Washington

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Why do you go off the deep end? I said nothing about having to have Iowa ties to win at ISU, my point is that he might be valuable linkage. Committed to staying here until their dying day? I said that? I don't think so.

Original post: These coaches are Iowans in heart. I could be wrong (often am), but seems to me this is a key consideration when looking to the stability of our program in the coming years

I said that? I mentioned Tim Floyd? Let me go look. Hmmmm. Nope. Maybe you're not referring to my post at all. If so, excuse me.
    You didn't mention him. You stated that it is a KEY CONSIDERATION for coaches to have Iowa or Midwest ties. In this you are echoing the comments that I have been reading in the FB coaching threads all day long. Rhodes may turn out to be the greatest coach ever. He may not. My point is simply that Iowa ties seem to be sufficient for most people on this board to overcome any and all doubts about whether hiring another d-coordinator with no head coaching experience is such a great move. Personally, I don't care about Iowa ties, I do care about winning. I am not willing to settle for mediocrity simply because someone claims to love it here.

Last edited by URBCLONE; 12-20-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added comments
    URBCLONE

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 775
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Well Duhh. His being from Iowa is just a bonus. Plus he was interested in the job.

Prospect
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

My point is simply that Iowa ties seem to be sufficient for most people on this board to overcome any and all doubts
    Proof?

I've not seen one poster say "I don't care whether he can coach as long as he has Iowa ties and won't leave us."

Look, Cyclone fans are some of the most loyal in the country. It's not irrational to expect some loyalty in return. We have a higher probability of getting that with someone who wants to be here. We still need wins and results, but someone who believes in ISU (beyond paying it lip service) is what we want.

Besides, someone who really believes in ISU will be a better recruiter, better for fundraising, and have a better attitude than a carpetbagger.

We want results and we want someone who is doing it for ISU and not just himself. Again, sometimes you can bring that in (DMC, Cael, Christy Johnson) - that's fine too.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

. . . Personally, I don't care about Iowa ties, I do care about winning. I am not willing to settle for mediocrity simply because someone claims to love it here.
    Personally, I do care about Iowa ties, I do care about winning. I am not willing to settle for mediocrity simply because someone claims to love it here but does not.

We have different takes on the issue. No big deal.

-George Washington

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Personally, I do care about Iowa ties, I do care about winning. I am not willing to settle for mediocrity simply because someone claims to love it here but does not.

We have different takes on the issue. No big deal.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I appreciate that you and I can respectfully disagree.

URBCLONE