Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 79

Coordinators can become great Head Coaches

I've seen a lot of people complaining already about hiring "another defensive coordinator with no head coaching experience". Let's put that complaint to rest. There are plenty of great coaches out there who were very successful after being assistants. You have to start somewhere, right?!?!? Here's a few examples:
    • Urban Meyer receivers coach at Notre Dame, before success at Bowling Green, Utah, and Florida
    • Bob Stoops Def Coord at Florida for 3 years before his Oklahoma job
    • Nick Saban various defensive assistant positions, before success at Toledo, MSU, LSU, Alabama
    • Frank Beamer Def Coord at Murray State before head coaching success at Murray St and V.Tech
    • Not to mention Gary Patterson, who so many of us wanted so badly Def Coord at TCU before HC
    • Any other examples out there???

Okay...so it didn't work out with GC. Let's move on. Just because he was a DC, doesn't mean you should start saying "DC's are too risky" or "DC's will never make a good HC". Maybe Rhoads will turn out to be the next Meyer or Saban, or maybe not. Only time will tell, and if you are a true fan, you need to support the team, and give them a chance to prove themselves. If you can't do that, then go cheer for the Hawks instead. You're no better than GC if your loyalty is that weak.

Let's not forget these other points that several have made already:
    1. JP may have already made a run at the best available HC's, and been turned down. We may never know, but don't assume he didn't try.
    2. Money is an issue, like it or not. Think of it this way...now maybe we can afford to pay our assistants a little better (let's just hope Rhoads makes some good choices in that area). If we had put down $2 mil for Patterson, we wouldn't have had much flexibility for other salaries.
    3. The Iowa ties do mean something, if it increases his loyalty to our school. I have a feeling that GC spent more time this season daydreaming about how he was going to get out, instead of how he was going to make our team better. A loyal coach will be dedicated to his work every single game, all the way to the end.

I'm not sayin' Rhoads was my first preference, but I'm sure he's no slouch. 99% of us have never met him personally, and it's very possible he is an extremely talented and brilliant coach. We'll find out soon enough.

Let's all get behind him, and support our team. Go Clones!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

Re: Coordinators can become great Head Coaches

I'd further argue that ALL great head coaches got their start as a coordinator or assistant coach at some level.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Prospect
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Tom Osborne was an OC for 6-7 years before taking over for Devaney - a lot of Nebraska fans grumbled in 1973 about Tom's lack of coaching experience...

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

I'm nervous about the coordinator hire, just because the last one that was heralded as a "sure thing" when it came to success... but the thing that makes me feel a lot more comfortable is that he knows what he's getting into. I feel like with Chizik, that JP told him that the fan support would be overflowing, and that ISU was on the up-and-up... so Chizik felt like success would come naturally. That, and everywhere else he's been, he's won. When it didn't work out the way he had planned, he pouted, and picked up his toys and stormed home.

With Rhodes, he was an assistant coach here from 1995-99, not exactly the best years, but the beginning of a new emergence in ISU football. That, and he was born in freaking Ankeny... and that's not a jab toward those who live there at all, it's just that it's 20 minutes from Ames, and as a result, would not likely treat this job as a stepping stone.

I think it has a possibility of working out, we'll just have to wait and see who he puts on his staff, and how the players respond. I have the feeling with all the turmoil going on in the past couple weeks, and the player reactions so far, that next year could turn out to be great.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Walk On
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Of course, pretty much all coaches were assistants at some point in their career. I guess my point is that you can have success at your very first HC job. You don't necessarily have to be "broken in" at another school for a few years first.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Barry Alvarez was a DC at Notre Dame before taking over an awful, awful Wisconsin program.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I think good examples would be coaches that went from OC/DC jobs to BCS conference schools and had success. Every coach started out somewhere as an OC/DC but then moved on to a smaller school before hitting a big time school.

Giving it a go
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by acrozier22 View Post
    I think good examples would be coaches that went from OC/DC jobs to BCS conference schools and had success. Every coach started out somewhere as an OC/DC but then moved on to a smaller school before hitting a big time school.
    Are we a big time school? (Tradition)

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

$5 says we have fewer Delay of Game calls in Rhoads year 1 as opposed to the record we set in Chizik year 2.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    Are we a big time school? (Tradition)
    Big time=BCS to me. Big time does not equal great football tradition.

Walk On
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I know the NFL and college are two different animals, but look what Mike Tomlin (former Vikings DC) has done with the Steelers. Granted, it's early in his career, but few people would say he hasn't been impressive.

I just had to throw that one in the mix since I love the Steelers!!!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCy View Post
    I know the NFL and college are two different animals, but look what Mike Tomlin (former Vikings DC) has done with the Steelers. Granted, it's early in his career, but few people would say he hasn't been impressive.

I just had to throw that one in the mix since I love the Steelers!!!

Good call. Mike Tomlin was my first choice, but Rhoads will do.

To be serious, I think this guy has a chance to be a nice fit. Chizik didn't fit and he figured it out late at our espense. Rhoads knows what he is getting into and may even be pleasently surprised by the talent level waiting for him. I hope all the players stick around so we aren't literally starting at square one.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,114
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by LZclone View Post
    $5 says we have fewer Delay of Game calls in Rhoads year 1 as opposed to the record we set in Chizik year 2.
    Seriously....does anyone know if there is a single season record for the most delay of game penalties? (or wasting the most time outs)

I'd love to know just how many DOGs we had last year...

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    I'm nervous about the coordinator hire, just because the last one that was heralded as a "sure thing" when it came to success... but the thing that makes me feel a lot more comfortable is that he knows what he's getting into. I feel like with Chizik, that JP told him that the fan support would be overflowing, and that ISU was on the up-and-up... so Chizik felt like success would come naturally. That, and everywhere else he's been, he's won. When it didn't work out the way he had planned, he pouted, and picked up his toys and stormed home.

With Rhodes, he was an assistant coach here from 1995-99, not exactly the best years, but the beginning of a new emergence in ISU football. That, and he was born in freaking Ankeny... and that's not a jab toward those who live there at all, it's just that it's 20 minutes from Ames, and as a result, would not likely treat this job as a stepping stone.

I think it has a possibility of working out, we'll just have to wait and see who he puts on his staff, and how the players respond. I have the feeling with all the turmoil going on in the past couple weeks, and the player reactions so far, that next year could turn out to be great.
    My goodness, learn how to spell his name.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 50

I thought Jamie would either go after a Johnny Orr type fooball coach or a young up and comer who would be willing to work hard. Paul is one of the latter. This is great thread. Pretty much all great football coaches started out as assistants other than Joe Paterno.