Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 61

Key Search Dates 12/20, 12/23

David Archer, ex-ISU QB said it was down to 3: Phil Fulmer, Pat Hill and Mike Stoops until Hill pulled out leaving two.

Lots of rumors of late addition of Gary Patterson to the mix.

Most coaches that are bowl bound would most likely wish to coach the bowl games and without any distractions about new jobs. Also gives them the upper hand in negotations with current and prospective employers if they win the bowl (Stoops).

Pat Hill and Mike Stoops play today 12/20. If one of them is the "chosen one", look for an announcement probably the next day as Stoops game isn't even over until around 11 P.M. CST.

Gary Patterson plays on 12/23 at 8 P.M. If he's the guy look for an announcement on 12/24.

If Phil Fulmer really is in the mix, I'd speculate there is one reason why he hasn't already been chosen: Fulmer's agent is the same agent that just screwed ISU over - Jimmy Sexton. Sexton's "hot" clients have a nasty reputation for changing jobs every 2 years. What assurance does Pollard and ISU have that he won't pull a Chizik in 2-3 years?

To Fulmer's credit, he has been loyal to his Alma Mater and never been anywhere else, but without that connection to ISU does he change his commitment to one school approach if he becomes sucessful at ISU? Not only that but does Sexton shake down ISU every year Fulmer wins a bowl game? Yes, almost certainly.

Maybe the issues have nothing to do with the above. It is somewhat counter-intuitive that the longer the search goes the better the choice gets if this is the right line of thinking.

I'd rank them this way:
    1. Patterson - TCU Record: 72-27-0, 10-2 this year with only 2 losses to OU and Utah. Has shown loyalty towards TCU, Texas recruiting base and consistently above average in current league. Will this translate to Big 12 wins?
    2. Fulmer - UT Record: 152-52-0, 5-7 this year. Winning a NC and SEC titles shows he can recruit and play in the toughest leagues in the land. Being a Sexton pimped coach, can he be trusted to be good to his word and commitment to ISU? If this wasn't a question, he's easily #1 candidate. SEC recruiting connections to add to traditional Texas/FLA recruiting grounds can only improve the program. What can Fulmer say or add to contract to make this clear? $25 million dollar buyout clause? Get a new agent? Please Phil, get a new agent.
    3. Even though Hill is "out", I'd have him #3. FS Record: 92-60-0, 7-5 this year. Pretty consistent blue collar type program. Nothing flashy, but consistent. Also Long Term coach in one place.
    4. Stoops - Another Chizik-like coaching record. UA Record: 24-34-0, 7-5 this year is ONLY winning record he's ever recorded. I really don't see him beating BYU - much better team than Arizona. And if Bobby Stoops has another NC year and the only game to hold him out is ISU vs. OU, do you expect his brother to really go all out to win the game?? Give me an OC like Okie State's guy over this choice, IMO.

Last edited by ShopTalk; 12-20-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Key Search Dates 12/20, 12/23

Talk about a good time, Dave Archer was worth the price of admission by himself. What a great name in ISU history!

Now is this a print quote from Dave or have you spoken to him? Where is he today?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

Stoops is out per his mouth to Marty. For what thats worth. Fulmer will sit out this year per his mouth. I think it is going to be Hill. At this point with so many names out there and rumors going on nothing is certin until the coach is standing in Ames at a press confernce.

Last edited by kingcy; 12-20-2008 at 07:27 AM.
    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Katoot View Post
    Talk about a good time, Dave Archer was worth the price of admission by himself. What a great name in ISU history!

Now is this a print quote from Dave or have you spoken to him? Where is he today?
    Paul's latest free coaching blog:
    http://iowastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=889179

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Stoops is out per his mouth to Marty. For what thats worth. Fulmer will sit out this year per his mouth. I think it is going to be Hill. At this point with so many names out there and rumors going on nothing is certin until the coach is standing in Ames at a press confernce.
    Where does Fulmer say he is sitting out a year?

Stoops could be saying that like they all do until they "come out". And isn't anything Marty says pure hawk droppings according to majority of posters on this site? Is there any other locations saying this, as there were a bazillion places saying he's the new ISU coach including Arizona papers?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    Where does Fulmer say he is sitting out a year?

Stoops could be saying that like they all do until they "come out". And isn't anything Marty says pure hawk droppings according to majority of posters on this site? Is there any other locations saying this, as there were a bazillion places saying he's the new ISU coach including Arizona papers?

There was a story about it after his name came up. Trust me if Marty still thought there was a slim chance Stoops would be the guy he would be talking about it.

Looks like Paul Clark is as lost as the rest of us on this.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

David Archer, ex-ISU QB said it was down to 3: Phil Fulmer, Pat Hill and Mike Stoops until Hill pulled out leaving two.

Lots of rumors of late addition of Gary Patterson to the mix.

Most coaches that are bowl bound would most likely wish to coach the bowl games and without any distractions about new jobs. Also gives them the upper hand in negotations with current and prospective employers if they win the bowl (Stoops).

Pat Hill and Mike Stoops play today 12/20. If one of them is the "chosen one", look for an announcement probably the next day as Stoops game isn't even over until around 11 P.M. CST.

Gary Patterson plays on 12/23 at 8 P.M. If he's the guy look for an announcement on 12/24.

If Phil Fulmer really is in the mix, I'd speculate there is one reason why he hasn't already been chosen: Fulmer's agent is the same agent that just screwed ISU over - Jimmy Sexton. Sexton's "hot" clients have a nasty reputation for changing jobs every 2 years. What assurance does Pollard and ISU have that he won't pull a Chizik in 2-3 years?

To Fulmer's credit, he has been loyal to his Alma Mater and never been anywhere else, but without that connection to ISU does he change his commitment to one school approach if he becomes sucessful at ISU? Not only that but does Sexton shake down ISU every year Fulmer wins a bowl game? Yes, almost certainly.

Maybe the issues have nothing to do with the above. It is somewhat counter-intuitive that the longer the search goes the better the choice gets if this is the right line of thinking.

I'd rank them this way:
    1. Patterson - TCU Record: 72-27-0, 10-2 this year with only 2 losses to OU and Utah. Has shown loyalty towards TCU, Texas recruiting base and consistently above average in current league. Will this translate to Big 12 wins?
    2. Fulmer - UT Record: 152-52-0, 5-7 this year. Winning a NC and SEC titles shows he can recruit and play in the toughest leagues in the land. Being a Sexton pimped coach, can he be trusted to be good to his word and commitment to ISU? If this wasn't a question, he's easily #1 candidate. SEC recruiting connections to add to traditional Texas/FLA recruiting grounds can only improve the program. What can Fulmer say or add to contract to make this clear? $25 million dollar buyout clause? Get a new agent? Please Phil, get a new agent.
    3. Even though Hill is "out", I'd have him #3. FS Record: 92-60-0, 7-5 this year. Pretty consistent blue collar type program. Nothing flashy, but consistent. Also Long Term coach in one place.
    4. Stoops - Another Chizik-like coaching record. UA Record: 24-34-0, 7-5 this year is ONLY winning record he's ever recorded. I really don't see him beating BYU - much better team than Arizona. And if Bobby Stoops has another NC year and the only game to hold him out is ISU vs. OU, do you expect his brother to really go all out to win the game?? Give me an OC like Okie State's guy over this choice, IMO.

I give this post as much credibility as one from Marty or JMiller. Why would Archer be in the know? Does JP even know who he is?

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Paul's latest free coaching blog:
    http://iowastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=889179
    If we all fall for Clark's shameless plug, we can know 10 minutes sooner by paying for confidential info from a guy that also doesn't have a clue. For me, I will rely on Jeremy and the others that are in the know here.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post
    If we all fall for Clark's shameless plug, we can know 10 minutes sooner by paying for confidential info from a guy that also doesn't have a clue. For me, I will rely on Jeremy and the others that are in the know here.
    Which means no one in the know is talking and so here we are, speculating. For what it's worth, my wife thinks it will be Hill

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Isn't it Paul Rhodes?

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    Isn't it Paul Rhodes?
    Yes it is. Just color me clueless.

but Hey, I was right that 12/20 was a big day in the search

Last edited by ShopTalk; 12-20-2008 at 09:09 AM.