Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barnett

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Barnett

Barnett is far and away the best possible candidate for ISU. What other available coach has won 4 Big 12 North titles, 1 Big 12 title, 2 Big 10 titles? There is no question that – on the coaching end – there is no reason not to hire the guy.

So – the only reason everyone seems to disagree is because of the “baggage”. Those are the people that have not taken the time to actually look into the facts and see what actually went down at CU. Keep in mind that this ignorance is what would keep us from the best available coach. Here are my responses to the baggage:

• NCAA violations – people keep mentioning this but guess what – CU had no NCAA violations under Barnett (except the undercharging of athletes at training table – which GB had nothing to do with)

• Arrests – everyone keeps talking about arrests. Guess what – there were none. NONE. No charges filed no arrests made and no convictions (which is impressive because the DA in Boulder really wanted to burn them)

• Strip clubs – people think that he took recruits to strip clubs (or had players do this). Again, untrue. He strictly forbade them from doing this. were recruits taken to strip clubs, maybe, but how is GB supposed to monitor where all 85 of his players are at all times on a college campus over the weekend

• Katie Hnida – sure, the comments were not PC and should have been dealt with differently. But – everyone is caught up on only part of what he said. In the news conference he was asked why the players resented her and he told them that she was a terrible kicker. He then went on to say that, although she was a bad kicker they tried to make her feel welcome.

Remember – a panel of judges and independent investigators conducted a lengthy investigation into the CU program. They found no violations of NCAA rules, no violations of university conduct, nothing related to taking recruits to strip clubs, nothing related to hookers, etc. In fact, they gave him a clean bill of health – which was why he kept his job.

So, before you go off dismissing the idea of hiring Barnett – look at the facts, not just the message boards. Do some actual research. If the reason we say no to GB is because of the baggage we are missing out on the best coach possible for the wrong reasons.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Barnett

The perception of him trumps the reality, and besides, he is too old and sounds too desperate.

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Good post! And he’s also not Mike Stoops.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbahotep View Post
    The perception of him trumps the reality, and besides, he is too old and sounds too desperate.
    Dah, he isn't too old. He is only 62, that could easily be 5 to 10 years of him coaching. We need to stop putting an age requirement on this.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

There have been literally dozens of job openings since he got canned at Colorado. If he's really all that great, why haven't any of those schools hired him?

For God's sake, Auburn didn't even interview Barnett and they were so desperate they hired some loser named Chizik.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What's with the Barnett PR firm showing up with all these new accounts?

(I'm only half-kidding about that)

Is Barnett a good coach? Certainly.

Was he as responsible for what happened at CU as many people think? Probably not.

Does he have a problem with "Perception is Reality"? Certainly.

Does ISU want to deal with that problem? Probably not.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Barnett works for me. He's proven and he's done it in the Big 12 North. No candidate is perfect.

Rookie
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Barnett is not the best candidate for ISU. The man is Gary Patterson. I just have a feeling this is our guy. Patterson to ISU, Gill to TCU. Thats my prediction, with a announcement made on the 24th.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PGreen ISU '92 View Post
    Good post! And he’s also not Mike Stoops.
    Agreed 100%. I should have added that as number 5

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Rush1 View Post
    but how is GB supposed to monitor where all 85 of his players are at all times on a college campus over the weekend
    I will not tolerate this excuse from Cyclone fans.

This is the exact same thing we heard all year from Hawkeye fans defending Ferentz saying he isn't to blame for the problem with his team.

I am willing to give Barnett a chance because I trust Pollard's judgement, however I will not defend the problems he had before and I hope nobody else does either

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Don't get me wrong. Patterson would be a good hire as well. I just don't see it happening.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Lastplace View Post
    Barnett is not the best candidate for ISU. The man is Gary Patterson. I just have a feeling this is our guy. Patterson to ISU, Gill to TCU. Thats my prediction, with a announcement made on the 24th.
    I said this yesterday so I beat ya to it

Gill would still be my No1 though...but I'm happy with the other.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Alright, Barnett's not too old, but it's probably another smokescreen anyway.

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

Starter
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

He may be a good coach and he may be innocent of all he has been accused of. But I think it would kill recruiting. Who would want to play for a coach with that kind of reputation?

I know, the sleazebags that expect to be enticed by visits to strip clubs...

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 652

Quote Originally Posted by Rush1 View Post
    Barnett is far and away the best possible candidate for ISU. What other available coach has won 4 Big 12 North titles, 1 Big 12 title, 2 Big 10 titles? There is no question that – on the coaching end – there is no reason not to hire the guy.

So – the only reason everyone seems to disagree is because of the “baggage”. Those are the people that have not taken the time to actually look into the facts and see what actually went down at CU. Keep in mind that this ignorance is what would keep us from the best available coach. Here are my responses to the baggage:

• NCAA violations – people keep mentioning this but guess what – CU had no NCAA violations under Barnett (except the undercharging of athletes at training table – which GB had nothing to do with)

• Arrests – everyone keeps talking about arrests. Guess what – there were none. NONE. No charges filed no arrests made and no convictions (which is impressive because the DA in Boulder really wanted to burn them)

• Strip clubs – people think that he took recruits to strip clubs (or had players do this). Again, untrue. He strictly forbade them from doing this. were recruits taken to strip clubs, maybe, but how is GB supposed to monitor where all 85 of his players are at all times on a college campus over the weekend

• Katie Hnida – sure, the comments were not PC and should have been dealt with differently. But – everyone is caught up on only part of what he said. In the news conference he was asked why the players resented her and he told them that she was a terrible kicker. He then went on to say that, although she was a bad kicker they tried to make her feel welcome.
    Remember – a panel of judges and independent investigators conducted a lengthy investigation into the CU program. They found no violations of NCAA rules, no violations of university conduct, nothing related to taking recruits to strip clubs, nothing related to hookers, etc. In fact, they gave him a clean bill of health – which was why he kept his job.

So, before you go off dismissing the idea of hiring Barnett – look at the facts, not just the message boards. Do some actual research. If the reason we say no to GB is because of the baggage we are missing out on the best coach possible for the wrong reasons.
    I remember that an independent law firm along with the Board of Regents went in and investigated the cover up of a multiple rape victim at the University of Iowa and found no wrong doing. Let's be honest here.... Do you think that all of these things that have been alleged were all made up? I didn't think so in either case.

Last edited by Cyclonestate78; 12-19-2008 at 06:07 PM.