Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

About the Head Coach Search

I do not care who the coach is actually. As long as the coach brings pride, honor, and trust to the program. I see peole on here complaining about the names that are coming up. I personally think of it like this. Who do we have now? NOONE- can we get someone, yes we can. Why do we ponder on the person to take the reigns? There are obsessions that kill coaches.

Let me propose that the current national obsession with coaches reflects these themes:

The illusion of control:First, the illusion of control. Obviously some coaches are better than others – I'd certainly rather be coached by Pete Carroll than Nick Saban. But as sports become ever-more important and ever-more analyzed, there seems an increasing tendency to want to believe that everything on the field happens for a reason. The ball didn't just bounce into some guy's hands, good coaching put the guy into the right position. The receiver didn't just run fast and get open, hours of round-the-clock study enabled the coach to determine precisely what pass pattern to call. The explosion in conspiracy-theory thinking, in books and movies supposing there are secret agencies and master plans controlling our lives, spills over into sports in the sense that we want to believe Team A didn't win mainly because it's better than Team B, it won because someone was in control of the entire event. That someone has to be the coach. The phrase "everything happens for a reason" has taken on resonance in popular culture, and not only in religious circles. We don't want to believe luck and coincidence are major factors in our lives. We want to believe someone is in control. Project this thinking onto sports and the importance of the head coach inflates.

The abdication by politicians and intellectuals of the father-figure role:Second, the abdication by politicians and intellectuals of their father-figure roles. For good or ill, for generations people have looked to political leaders and intellectuals as father figures of society. Even if you had a good relationship with a good father, you still need other father figures, since your own father inevitably will pass on, and at any rate most people's own fathers are not players in high-profile public matters. But roughly since Watergate, politicians steadily have demeaned and trivialized themselves; is there anyone on the current national political scene you'd want as a father? A few generations ago, millions looked for life guidance to the examples of public-spirited intellectual figures such as Albert Schweitzer or Upton Sinclair. Today's intellectuals seem arrogant, money-focused and contemptuous of the average person. So we switch our father-figure thinking onto coaches who seem both men of achievement and who share one of our common concerns, love of sports. A few coaches such as Knute Rockne achieved national renown in the period before general cynicism. But it may be telling that the onset of the coach as superstar, the first instance being Vince Lombardi, came roughly at the same time disillusion with political and intellectual leadership began setting in.

The exaggeration of insider knowledge:

Next is the exaggeration of insider knowledge. Pretty much every possible play and tactic, and every practice technique is known to every coach. Of course, it's also true that all chefs work with the same ingredients; two people can employ the same basic knowledge and one can come to a much better result than the other. But we seem to want to believe good coaches aren't merely people who are good at their professions, we want to believe they have incredible insider information. This mirrors the current national fascination with the notion that hush-hush secret information is at the crux of world events. Hollywood encourages this view, when the less sexy reality is that most events reflect nothing more than what meets the eye.

The illusion of special motivational ability:
    Next is the illusion of special motivational ability. Anyone who's been involved in competitive athletics knows that 90 percent of motivation comes from within the athlete. But the coaching guild doesn't want you to know that. A good coach can help the athlete realize the last 10 percent of motivation, while a bad coach can depress what the athlete already has – but in either case the real power of athletics comes from the players' psyches. But we live in a moment when celebrities and supposed experts get $50,000 to give motivational speeches, during which they stand on a stage flailing their arms and screaming "Get going, get going." We want to believe there are secret motivational tools that will unlock our hidden potential. Athletes will tell you that an amazing percentage even of successful coaches have poor interpersonal skills and are poor motivators – mainly, they yell. Show me a coach who yells a lot, and I'll show you a coach who is wasting everybody's time. But the illusion that coaches have incredible motivational abilities adds to their mystique.

The winner-take-all of modern economics:

Next is the winner-take-all aspect of modern economics, nodding here to Robert Frank of Cornell University, who has documented this phenomenon. Coaches at the top of pro and college football today earn 50 times what a high school varsity football coach earns. Not a single one of the top pro or college coaches is 50 times more able than the typical high school coach. I'd estimate that today's very best football coaches, such as Bill Belichick or Carroll, are approximately twice as good at what they do than any high school football coach who won a 4A or 5A state championship this fall – but Belichick and Carroll earn 50 times as much. At the high school, small-college, big-college and NFL level there are several thousand skilled, competent football coaches of approximately equal ability – coaching skill at the small-college level is especially overlooked. Of the several thousand able football coaches, a handful become rich while the rest labor for typical wages. This distorts our perspective of coaches, as winner-take-all economics distorts our perspective of Hollywood figures, CEOs, rock stars and the rest.

The Walter Mitty daydream:

Finally there is Walter Mitty's daydream. We can't imagine actually becoming an NFL player, because we're not strong enough or fast enough. We can't imagine becoming a movie star because we're not good-looking enough, or becoming a pop star because we know we can't sing. The sports coach, on the other hand, has no special physical abilities or God-given gifts. Coaches can't run a 4.4 or hit a high note. I could be like him, I could run that team is in a lot of fans' minds. We don't imagine ourselves actually becoming Supreme Court justices and heart surgeons because we know professions like these involve many years of intense study and training. Coaching, on the other hand, seems like something almost anyone could learn. In the end, we revere coaches as persons of incredible prowess when really they are not all that different from the typical man or woman. And they would prefer this not be generally understood.

Who knows maybe Pollard will get a diamond in the rough....

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 21

Re: About the Head Coach Search

All I read was, "I don't care who the coach actually is...." then blah blah blah, words words words, oh my god, more words words words, is this a book?, scroll down, I don't think this thing ever ends, words words words, still scrolling, oh the bottom....diamond in the rough.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 6

like being assigned Don Quixote again at ISU...

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 870
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 5

TLDNR!!!!!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    I do not care who the coach is actually. As long as the coach brings pride, honor, and trust to the program. I see peole on here complaining about the names that are coming up. I personally think of it like this. Who do we have now? NOONE- can we get someone, yes we can. Why do we ponder on the person to take the reigns? There are obsessions that kill coaches.

Let me propose that the current national obsession with coaches reflects these themes:

Are you going to put a link to the original author?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    TLDNR!!!!!!
    my immediate reaction as well...

I'm so used to, "It's INSERT COACH'S NAME HERE! I've got inside info/heard it on KXNO/saw JP's plane/etc."

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by CloneAggie View Post
    Are you going to put a link to the original author?
    Can I have your dog?

Walk On Achievements:
    SocialVeteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post

The Walter Mitty daydream:

Finally there is Walter Mitty's daydream. We can't imagine actually becoming an NFL player, because we're not strong enough or fast enough. We can't imagine becoming a movie star because we're not good-looking enough, or becoming a pop star because we know we can't sing. The sports coach, on the other hand, has no special physical abilities or God-given gifts. Coaches can't run a 4.4 or hit a high note. I could be like him, I could run that team is in a lot of fans' minds. We don't imagine ourselves actually becoming Supreme Court justices and heart surgeons because we know professions like these involve many years of intense study and training. Coaching, on the other hand, seems like something almost anyone could learn. In the end, we revere coaches as persons of incredible prowess when really they are not all that different from the typical man or woman. And they would prefer this not be generally understood.

Holy ****, Did I just see a Walter Mitty reference, is your wife my old English teacher Vickie Kingsbury? If not it should be!

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman!"

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Good God, I go to this board to avoid work. If you post something that long at least give me a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

TL;DR

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hey Dave, I did actually read this, so thanks for posting it. I agreed with some of it, other parts of it - well, message boards are made for disagreement!

The Illusion of Control: I think there's a certain amount of validity to this, but if you have played sports or been a part of any team really, there is a lot that a leader or team of leaders can do to make your group of individuals succeed. The best coach I've ever had and the worst coach I've ever had - huge difference in my mind. While it may be exaggerated, there's definitely control there. I think we like to think the head coach is in control more than he is in a game like football.

The Father-Figure role: The best coaches at the high school and college level have the ability to become a father-figure. Pete Caroll is a good example of a coach that really relates to his players, Mack Brown is another one I think. In many (not all certainly) cases they are taking youth from lower economic and social circles and shaping their lives. Probably part of the reason they have become superstars is the rise of the media, which glorifies coaches and exposes their successes (and failures) on a national level.

Insider Knowledge: I don't know about this... I think good coaches, especially those with a "system" have a lot of knowledge that they apply in unique ways. Mike Leach at TT is a good example. I know a lot about his offense - I could spend 2 years studying all the tape of his offense that exists for 12 hours a day and becoming an expert. But I don't think I would have the innovative mind to do some of that stuff, instead I would just be trying to imitate and I would never ever have the same success. The same applies to more basic offenses and defenses, knowing about something does not mean you have the ability to take it and apply it in all cases.

Motivational Ability: I have played sports for a number of coaches and on a number of teams and there is absolutely more than 10% of the motivation that comes from outside the athlete.

Look at players who say they would do anything for their coach and their team versus the players who play with apathy and selfish motivation. Some of this is the player, but some of this is the coach. Managing egos, making practice realistic and fun, helping to set goals for the individual athletes, challenging them in appropriate ways and picking them up when they can't motivate themselves. There is so much that a good coach can do and a great coach can motivate people, absolutely.

Winner-take-all: This is a pretty good point - and I think it goes beyond sports. A CEO isn't necessarily any better at what they do than a person working below them for much less money. Sometimes the system corrects itself, sometimes not. No matter what, I think it's important to judge a person not only on their body of work to this point (which can be influenced by so many factors) but on their inherent qualities. Unfortunately this is very hard to do - hopefully JP can do it.

Coaching daydream: Good point - I can't see myself as a WR but what sports fan doesn't think they could go out there and coach. With NCAA football video games and so much analysis out there, everyone thinks they know better than a coach. I don't say, damn, I would have caught that pass, but I might think, I would have run the ball in that situation.

Still, when I sit back and objectively think about it, I realize pretty quickly that I couldn't compare to almost any coach at that level - they're there for a reason. But, who thinks objectively about sports? :)

have you ever got caught outside In a strong rainfall? Yes or NO. If it"s yes, then you might half felt the pane of hard(tought) rain on you head. If it hurt"s then it"s tough. Yes or no. Okay I'm right and you know it.

So alothough you attempt"ed to say you didn"t understnad, now you do. Fair enough?

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by iowast8fan View Post
    All I read was, "I don't care who the coach actually is...." then blah blah blah, words words words, oh my god, more words words words, is this a book?, scroll down, I don't think this thing ever ends, words words words, still scrolling, oh the bottom....diamond in the rough.
    I actually laughed out loud at this reply.Because I find myself constantely skimming things! So much to read!Thanks for the laugh I needed it.