Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

i say go with Dunson, the Johnsons, and the future

I think we should start the 3 freshman and get the system pounded into them, it might be too late for the older classes to get the system.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: i say go with Dunson, the Johnsons, and the future

I really like the young guys too but there are too many variables in planning for the future. I say play the guys that give you the best chance of winning TODAY...let the future take care of itself.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Well Jessan broke his nose and it doesn't sound good. No idea how long he'll be out - and when he comes back - he'll be wearing one of those freakish masks. Ick.

And, who knows when Marsden will be back.

So, #31 better get used to seeing a lot of the floor.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Well Jessan broke his nose and it doesn't sound good. No idea how long he'll be out - and when he comes back - he'll be wearing one of those freakish masks. Ick.
    When and how did this happen? I have the Full Court Package, can't see one game, and now feel out of the loop!

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Sometime in the first half from what I understand.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

the starting line up that best gives us that chance is probably that one, maybe McIntosh instead of Dunson, but Johnson is prolly just as good of a player as Hubalek, it is close, we will go back and forth all year, and Jessan is definitely up there too. This was the best lineup for tonight, more important is that this was prolly Mike Taylor's best game, if he can play like that throughout the rest of the season we will do well, he doesn't have to shoot for us to win, him penetrating will get people to come over and cover him, better to get a layup than a wild shot. He is a hell of a shooter, but doing that will help us just as much as him shooting it would, prolly won't hurt as much though if he stops missing all those shots he misses!

Big Shawn, Super Clone!

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Right at the beginning of the game....Cory Johnsons first two buckets were the some of the best post moves I've seen in the past two years out of Iowa State. The kid isn't extraordinary, but he's always trying, and I think people are going to love him for four years cause of that.

Recruit
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like the Johnsons - Jessan and Jiri just arent getting it done out there. I can't wait for next year and the new recruits. As for Dodie, I know he has a lot of potential, but we have some good guards with experience and Dodie has been playing well off the bench. He has sparked the energy of the team when he comes in. I trust McDermott to make necessary changes and adjustments (he must have talked a lot about turnovers after the iowa game- Mike Taylor hardly had any tonight!)

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hubalek played in streaks; 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off. Toward the end of the game when he started backing into the paint we started pulling away. Coincidence?

CJ came out swinging. It was like he was told that if he showed he could establish himself in the post then he would stay in the lineup. Good for him. He's got more determination than the rest of the team.

Also, I'm glad that we don't always need Taylor to shoulder the offensive load to win, because he going to have off nights.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

For Those Who Couldn't Get There:

Yes, the three freshman did start (Dodie+2XJohnsons) but McIntosh ended up playing 31 minutes off the bench and played very well (GMAC's comment not mine). Juri had some decent baskets and rebounds but his defense was horrible at times. That #10 just went right around him several times. Cory Johnson had a minor meltdown from the line missing 4 straight free throws on one trip (2 lane violations). He then got his own rebound and put up a prayer for which GMAC benched him for the remainder of the game. Clark missed a double-double by 2 boards. Taylor didn't shoot much but made a ton of great passes with only 1 TO I believe. At the end, he put on a dribbling display when three guys were trying to foul him but couldn't catch him. It got the crowd into it a little. Wes was solid and got to the line a bunch. Out rebounded them 38-20!

I guess my biggest disappointments were two fold. First, we had a strech of something like 9 minutes (Last 5 min of first half and first 4 of second) where we only scored 4 points I think. Not Good! Second, we shot something like 55% from the free throw line.

A win's a win!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 91

Cory Johnson sure did "Come Out Swinging" last nite. He is a lot better than Jiri or Jessan in my humble opinion.

Cory is going to be a hard working blue collar guy who comes nite in and nite out to give his best at all times. This is the kind of b-ball player we need more of, a guy who plays solid defense and doesn't make silly mental errors.

Good Win Clones Now its on to the Well and the Bradley Braves!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 829

Quote Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
    I think we should start the 3 freshman and get the system pounded into them, it might be too late for the older classes to get the system.
    Wow, it takes a lot of guts to walk out on the ledge and call for us to start the three freshman...3 hours after the game where we started the three freshman.

But it is nice to see you agree with McDermott.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I wonder how effective Cory Johnson will be against the big boys in the Big 12. I think he's only 6-7 and while he seems strong and has some post moves I wonder if taller, bigger defenders will give him problems. Savannah State did not have a very big lineup. Some of their guards were probably just 5-10 too. If only Jiri had the agressiveness in the paint that CJ does it would go a long ways.

I'm split on who should start, Dunson or McIntosh. McIntosh seems to be the better defender I think and Dodie is a little streaky. I kind of like having Dodie's scoring punch off the bench because there is really no one else on the bench that can score much. I say keep Dodie coming off the bench and play him big minutes if he's got the hot hand.

The Gray injury hurts. GMac said that he's questionable for Saturday. It's a displaced break and until he can breathe out of his nose and they get a mask fitted he won't even practice. Marsden was suited up last night and has been practicing some so I would guess he might go Saturday in limited minutes.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

I love CJ, but he's still a little rough around the edges as far as defense goes. He has some trouble with footwork and defending post moves, which I think comes from him being a SF in high school. He'll come around, but it's going to take longer for him.

I was really impressed with Jiri yesterday, he showed some gumption in the lane.

I feel really bad for Jessan Gray, he just can't seem to stay healthy, and every time he gets hurt it's something bad.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I have mixed reviews on Jiri's game last night. The stat line wasn't bad but there were times my whole section was groaning over some of his bone-headed plays. He had some lapses on defense and started the game looking for the outside shot until he finally found out that shots 5 feet from the basket are a lot easier to make when you are at least a half foot taller than almost every other defender. And there were some times he was in terrible position for rebounds or slapped at the robound instead of trying to bring the ball in. Just some things I noticed, he did do some good when he played close to the basket though. If he stays away from the perimeter a little more and works harder to get into position near the basket he does have some decent moves and most importantly height to get some easier baskets than chucking up a bad 18 foot jumper.