Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 50,762, Level: 69
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AirWalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,723
    Points
    50,762
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

    Post Letter from McDermott

    December 12, 2006

    Dear Iowa State Student and Cyclone Fan,

    First of all, I want to pass along well wishes as you complete your final exams and finish this semester. Secondly, I hope you all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidayís and safe travels to and from home.

    I want to thank you for your support of our team. The student body, Cyclone Alley and the Cyclone fans have been just awesome! As many of you know, we have a very inexperienced team. We know that there will be growing pains for this yearís Cyclone Basketball Team. Where we might lack consistency in certain areas of our game because of our youth and with a limited number of returning players; we will not lack effort, hustle and enthusiasm. I want our team to demonstrate the same "PASSION" that you, our student body, demonstrates every game.

    Having just completed our first month of the season; I can tell you that I love being the menís head basketball coach at Iowa State University. Being a Cyclone is every bit as exciting as I had hoped and dreamed it would be. I am proud to be representing ISU, our alums, fans and especially you, the students. As I look back on my own undergraduate days, I remember how special they were. The friendships, camaraderie and the entire experience of college life was such a special time for me. I want Cyclone Basketball to be one of your special memories as you pass through Iowa State.

    I want to thank you again for your past support and invite you to continue to support the Cyclones as we finish our non-conference schedule and head into the Big 12 part of our season.

    I hope to see you at Hilton!!

    Go Cyclones!

    Coach Mac
    You heard the man! Get your butts into Hilton and fill up Cyclone Alley!


    Go Sssssssssyclones!

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 84,312, Level: 90
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,092
    Points
    84,312
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Letter from McDermott

    Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    You heard the man! Get your butts into Hilton and fill up Cyclone Alley!
    Freakin' AMEN!



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 27,040, Level: 50
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cloned4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,541
    Points
    27,040
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Gmac's Letter to Students


    Thought this was cool. (Sorry if this has already been posted)

    "December 12, 2006

    Dear Iowa State Student and Cyclone Fan,

    First of all, I want to pass along well wishes as you complete your final exams and finish this semester. Secondly, I hope you all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidayís and safe travels to and from home.
    I want to thank you for your support of our team. The student body, Cyclone Alley and the Cyclone fans have been just awesome! As many of you know, we have a very inexperienced team. We know that there will be growing pains for this yearís Cyclone Basketball Team. Where we might lack consistency in certain areas of our game because of our youth and with a limited number of returning players; we will not lack effort, hustle and enthusiasm. I want our team to demonstrate the same "PASSION" that you, our student body, demonstrates every game.

    Having just completed our first month of the season; I can tell you that I love being the menís head basketball coach at Iowa State University. Being a Cyclone is every bit as exciting as I had hoped and dreamed it would be. I am proud to be representing ISU, our alums, fans and especially you, the students. As I look back on my own undergraduate days, I remember how special they were. The friendships, camaraderie and the entire experience of college life was such a special time for me. I want Cyclone Basketball to be one of your special memories as you pass through Iowa State.
    I want to thank you again for your past support and invite you to continue to support the Cyclones as we finish our non-conference schedule and head into the Big 12 part of our season.

    I hope to see you at Hilton!!

    Go Cyclones!


    Coach Mac"

    20 years and several Big 12 titles/deep NCAA runs from now, I'm going to look back and say hey... legendary coach Greg McDermott sent me an email when I was in college






  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 42,700, Level: 63
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mike4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,564
    Points
    42,700
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Gmac's Letter to Students

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post

    Thought this was cool. (Sorry if this has already been posted)

    "December 12, 2006

    Dear Iowa State Student and Cyclone Fan,

    First of all, I want to pass along well wishes as you complete your final exams and finish this semester. Secondly, I hope you all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidayís and safe travels to and from home.
    I want to thank you for your support of our team. The student body, Cyclone Alley and the Cyclone fans have been just awesome! As many of you know, we have a very inexperienced team. We know that there will be growing pains for this yearís Cyclone Basketball Team. Where we might lack consistency in certain areas of our game because of our youth and with a limited number of returning players; we will not lack effort, hustle and enthusiasm. I want our team to demonstrate the same "PASSION" that you, our student body, demonstrates every game.

    Having just completed our first month of the season; I can tell you that I love being the menís head basketball coach at Iowa State University. Being a Cyclone is every bit as exciting as I had hoped and dreamed it would be. I am proud to be representing ISU, our alums, fans and especially you, the students. As I look back on my own undergraduate days, I remember how special they were. The friendships, camaraderie and the entire experience of college life was such a special time for me. I want Cyclone Basketball to be one of your special memories as you pass through Iowa State.
    I want to thank you again for your past support and invite you to continue to support the Cyclones as we finish our non-conference schedule and head into the Big 12 part of our season.

    I hope to see you at Hilton!!

    Go Cyclones!


    Coach Mac"

    20 years and several Big 12 titles/deep NCAA runs from now, I'm going to look back and say hey... legendary coach Greg McDermott sent me an email when I was in college



    Gotta love your optimism.


    --Luck of the Cyrish--






  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 28,766, Level: 52
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    zdorr40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,348
    Points
    28,766
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

    Re: Letter from McDermott

    What a great guy. I emailed him one time earlier in the year and he emailed back the next day.

    Would Alfraud ever send an email like that to the student body at EIU?



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 28,766, Level: 52
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    zdorr40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,348
    Points
    28,766
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

    Re: Letter from McDermott

    What a great guy. I emailed him one time earlier in the year and he emailed back the next day.

    Would Alfraud ever send an email like that to the student body at EIU?



  7. #7
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Letter from McDermott

    I'm sure Alford has done the same at Iowa. It's part of a head coach's responsibility to the university who pays his / her salary. They are very high-profile representatives.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 12,576, Level: 33
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    SlyCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Liberty, Iowa
    Posts
    804
    Points
    12,576
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Letter from McDermott

    Quote Originally Posted by zdorr40 View Post
    What a great guy. I emailed him one time earlier in the year and he emailed back the next day.

    Would Alfraud ever send an email like that to the student body at EIU?
    Subject: [UnivAdm] Go Hawks

    Staff and Students:

    I hope this message finds you well. Last year was a very special
    season for our men's basketball program and Carver-Hawkeye Arena
    became one of the best college basketball environments in the nation.
    Having won 18 home games in a row, we now carry the third longest
    home-winning steak* in the country into this season. Much of this
    success is because of your loyal support of our program and the
    enthusiasm and passion you bring to our games.

    We are aiming to eclipse over 2,000 student season tickets this year
    and are really trying to energize the new-look Hawkeyes. If you have
    not already looked into purchasing season tickets, I hope you will do
    so before the season gets underway.

    Our first game is Friday, Nov. 10, against Buena Vista at 7 p.m. The
    great thing for you is that anyone who has a football ticket to the
    Wisconsin game (November 11) gets into our game for free.
    Our first official game is the following Monday, Nov. 13, vs. The
    Citadel at 7 p.m. We are inviting all active and inactive members of
    the U.S. Military, Armed Forces, and Veterans to attend this game free
    of charge. It is our honor to have them join us for a game and see the
    great support Hawkeye fans are known for.

    Thank you very much for your continued support. We hope to build on
    our past successes to make all Hawkeye fans proud.
    Go Hawks!

    Steve Alford
    Head Men's Basketball Coach

    *NOTICE THE TYPO OF STEAK INSTEAD OF STREAK!! INSERT YOUR JOKE HERE....

    P.S. My wife works at the University Hospitals and all employees and students received this.


    Last edited by SlyCy; 12-14-2006 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Added content

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 26,839, Level: 50
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bettendorf
    Posts
    1,956
    Points
    26,839
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Letter from McDermott

    "Having won 18 home games in a row, we now carry the third longest
    home-winning steak* in the country into this season."

    Not any more...Panthers consumed that steak (and the Hawks)...



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 8,805, Level: 28
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    spanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    483
    Points
    8,805
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Letter from McDermott

    I love it that passion is back in Ames! To see people that want to excel and do it the right way makes me proud to be a clone. Wear those colors proud.



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 10,126, Level: 30
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    521
    Points
    10,126
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

    Re: Letter from McDermott

    I was a Wayne Morgan fan but never remember him sending letters out like that. If he did, and someone can present it, then I'll take back what I said.



  12. #12
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 274,313, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,178
    Points
    274,313
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 78

    Re: Letter from McDermott

    Quote Originally Posted by bstegs View Post
    I was a Wayne Morgan fan but never remember him sending letters out like that. If he did, and someone can present it, then I'll take back what I said.
    He did, but it was usually to ask which 3-piece to wear for the next game.

    He wasn't much of a sideline coach but the man knew how to dress.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM