Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Outsider's Perspective (Long)

I am an Indiana grad who was raised in Iowa and returned to live here. Being a big football fan I have always followed ISU with some interest. One thing IU football and ISU football share is some of the fan base has a "woe is me" attitude regarding who would want to coach at each university. While I think IU is a coaching graveyard, I believe ISU is a very good job for the following reasons:

ISU consistently draws large crowds for non BCS opponents so scheduling some wins is not a big deal. This helps to build your program while not killing your bottom line.

The fan base is strong considering the lack of return on their investment. IU would kill for type of following ISU football has.

The salaries for coaches are excellent. You can recruit and retain a good staff.

The fans are patient and realistic. At times I thought this years team looked like an 8th grade team in terms of game organization, yet the overwhelming number of fans were very positive until the end of the GC reign.

The media is pretty tame. Some of them are almost boosters for ISU and/or Iowa.

No competition from the pros. It is very hard for IU football to get significant coverage when competing against the Colts in the same media market.

Don't sell this job short. It is obviously challenging but there are many advantages to coaching at ISU. Just my two cents.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 304

Re: Outsider's Perspective (Long)

Thank you for your insight. Its appreciated by me.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierinIowa View Post
    I am an Indiana grad who was raised in Iowa and returned to live here. Being a big football fan I have always followed ISU with some interest. One thing IU football and ISU football share is some of the fan base has a "woe is me" attitude regarding who would want to coach at each university. While I think IU is a coaching graveyard, I believe ISU is a very good job for the following reasons:

ISU consistently draws large crowds for non BCS opponents so scheduling some wins is not a big deal. This helps to build your program while not killing your bottom line.

The fan base is strong considering the lack of return on their investment. IU would kill for type of following ISU football has.

The salaries for coaches are excellent. You can recruit and retain a good staff.

The fans are patient and realistic. At times I thought this years team looked like an 8th grade team in terms of game organization, yet the overwhelming number of fans were very positive until the end of the GC reign.

No competition from the pros. It is very hard for IU football to get significant coverage when competing against the Colts in the same media market.

Don't sell this job short. It is obviously challenging but there are many advantages to coaching at ISU. Just my two cents.

thanks!

you should hang out here more.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Great post. Great thread.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    Great post. Great thread.
    Ditto that!!!

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 137

any chance you coach?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 587

It's great to see some outside perspective. Thanks for your thoughts!

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,158
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 32

I agree, your points are well made. However, your post was not as long as you promised. Seriously, have you seen some of the posts on this board?

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Welcome home!

As others said, great post; new vantage points are always appreciated around here, but even more so right now. Also as others said, you're more than welcome to hang around our little community here. We love having new folks join us, especially those who also follow other teams (that aren't Iowa). Regardless of who else you cheer for, you follow the Cyclones, and that's good enough for me!

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great post. Thanks!

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

As a native Hoosier, now living in Iowa I think IU is a fair comparison, though I think Purdue is probably a bit more what the actual ISU job could be compared to in terms of plusses and minuses as well as fanbase, though with much better tradition.

West Lafayette is not exactly the middle of somewhere (though you're closeish to Indy and closeish to Chicago). Weather isn't far removed from Iowa. Both have similar schools in terms of programs (though ISU is slightly more "ag"-centric).
    Purdue has had a lot more success on the field than ISU, but generally is a mid-to-lower-tier Big XI program which can jump up every 5-10 years and compete for a conference title, which is where I contend ISU should aspire to be (for now).

Take IU's on the field history, and everything but that at Purdue and I think you have pretty much what ISU is as a job, and that's not too bad. While some would say that the ND job is better (It certainly is in salary, no doubt), I'd MUCH rather coach at Purdue than ND.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierinIowa View Post

As an outsider do you feel we are looking at coaches who may feel they should hold out for better jobs then Iowa State?

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I would hope ISU could get a midwestern guy with some Iowa connection. This is job where you will have to be able to out "X and O" the other teams so I would want someone who doesn't come from a traditional power school, where you can rely on your talent being better than the other guys. Whether or not they have head coaching experience isn't that big a deal to me.

I don't think there is anyone ISU should scratch anyone off their list. Don't shortchange your program. Point out all of the great things you have going for you. As I said this is a great university to coach at. Where else will you combine the money and the understanding fan base?

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great post. See it could be much worse Cyclone fans.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mapnerd View Post
    I agree, your points are well made. However, your post was not as long as you promised. Seriously, have you seen some of the posts on this board?
    ROFL

"Hug It Out."