Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

The players need to know....

That it was not the coach that brought us to the stadium the last 2 years. It was them, and their hard work. They need to know that our support does not go away because the head coach left. They didn't come here because one man talked them into it, Its much bigger than that. Iowa State has a way of working its way into your soul (weird sounding I know) but it does. If they decide to stay, they will be heros....Just ask Johnny Orr or Fred Hoiberg what thats like....We will make sure you know that your fanbase didnt walk out on you ......I have my seats and I want to see you succeed here with a coach that can do it....ok I am done ranting...but this needed to be said.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Re: The players need to know....

Very much agree!!

That is why I stayed all 4 quarters of the games, because I knew they would never give up no matter the score and were out there knocking heads around!

Nothing better than watching young kids grow into men on that football field and aside from the sports aspect of it, learning how to be a man when faced with adversity...this coaching change is tough on every single one of them, and every one of their fans! But once all this gets sorted out, they will be better people because of it....keep your heads up players!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    Very much agree!!

That is why I stayed all 4 quarters of the games, because I knew they would never give up no matter the score and were out there knocking heads around!
    Except for the Missouri game, right?? But, I agree with OP!!

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260

I think we have potential to be much better next year. We were not given a fair chance this year the way things played out. We can play with some purpose and make a cause out of it if we do well in nonconference season. Then who knows. The North is not that awesome.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

The players had something to do with it, but Mr. Pollard is the one who really drove people into the stands.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

There are a ton of young talented players on this team. They have plenty of opportunity to win games next year. Just take a quick look...

North Dakota State
    Iowa
    @ Kent State
    Army
    Kansas State - Arrowhead
    @ Kansas
    Baylor
    @ Neb
    @ A&M
    Colorado
    @Mizzou

If our staff was still here with all these redshirts coming in and the younger players involved I would have thought at least 6-7 wins next year. But there not so we need to find someone that can lead this team asap.

Last edited by HandSanitizer; 12-16-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 246

That looks like a really fun schedule. I wouldnt care if Wayne Morgan was coaching these guys, I would be excited to watch those games.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Walo View Post
    The players had something to do with it, but Mr. Pollard is the one who really drove people into the stands.
    I think Pollard convinced people to buy tickets and marketed the team well...however, if people showed up and seen a lack-luster team that showed no emotion, gave up, didn't care what the fans did...I think at the end of the year we have 30k fans in the stands and not 50k or whatever the number was.

But the fans saw fire, emotion, hard work and determination in the players that led them to stand up for our student athletes and show them our full support no matter the record.

I think someone mentioned that buffalo averaged 17k and they are going to a bowl...I don't know what we averaged but I'm going to say between 45-50k and we WERE 2-10!!!

Our fans are the best in the nation, and will follow our team if they give it their all and they have done so thus far!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Walo View Post

Really? Beacuse I have never seen Mr. Pollard put on a helmet and lay someone out....As much as I respect him and the job that he has done here, I don't show up at the stadium to see him. I see the young men that decided to attend the same University that I did and represent us on and off the football feild. I know our history...for god sakes I lived the Walden years....The current players have a vision of better things...as do I ....I have read books from other coaches that coached in the big 12( big 8 at that time) and even back then this was not the job to take if you wanted to succeed. I dont think thats the case anymore. If boise state can do it... by god so can Iowa state. Pollard is a huge asset, but its not the reason I attend games....nuff said

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 246

The only reason I attend games is to watch the guys on the field. I really enjoy games now more because the tailgating is more fun and the stadium is a lot nicer, but its all about what goes down on the grass.

Thumbs Up

I definitely agree. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but there is something special when I'm at an Iowa State game that I have not experienced at any other sporting event. I'm originally from St. Louis, so I grew up with the Cardinals and Rams. While I love the Cardinals and Rams, they do not compare to the excitement of Iowa State. The camaraderie and loyalty of Iowa State fans is like nothing I have ever seen. I always show up hours before the game to get that perfect front row seat and do not leave until the players have left the field for the locker rooms. This loyalty is the reason many fans might be a little critical of the players. We really want you to succeed and we might go a little overboard with some of our comments, but we always respect those that wear the Cardinal and Gold. I will show up to every game next year and will always support the Cyclones. By the way, I was at the Mizzou game the entire time and I know that Iowa State fans are better than Mizzou fans. Mizzou is the only bcs football team in Missouri and they donít sellout their stadium when they are ranked in the top 10. Missouri is also double the population of Iowa.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    I think Pollard convinced people to buy tickets and marketed the team well...however, if people showed up and seen a lack-luster team that showed no emotion, gave up, didn't care what the fans did...I think at the end of the year we have 30k fans in the stands and not 50k or whatever the number was.

But the fans saw fire, emotion, hard work and determination in the players that led them to stand up for our student athletes and show them our full support no matter the record.

Our fans are the best in the nation, and will follow our team if they give it their all and they have done so thus far!
    Very True

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    The only reason I attend games is to watch the guys on the field. I really enjoy games now more because the tailgating is more fun and the stadium is a lot nicer, but its all about what goes down on the grass.
    Sexy grass to say the least

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,104
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I honestly and truly believe that if this group can stay together and keep working hard that they can be something special and I just hope they feel the same way.

This is one of the crossroads in their lives where they can take a chance on what's out there for them at another school with another group of guys and another coach or they can take a chance on sticking it out with their guys - the family they've come to love and go to work with day in and day out. I'm not saying it's any easy choice, but one of the things I'm most proud of as a Cyclone fan is our loyalty and ability to come together during tough times. JP will bring in another great coach, but he still needs these players to get the job done at the end of the day.

A team that believes in themselves can win anywhere - don't believe the you can't win at ISU BS. Coaches come and go in life, but it's what you do with the lessons they teach you and how you adapt to new situations that really matters. There will be better days ahead for Iowa State and I hope every single Cyclone going through this right now will be around to share them.

- ďIím not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

While the hardcore fans, which make up about 90% of this website, do indeed show up for the players, the reason the stands have been filled the last couple of seasons is Jamie Pollard and his genius marketing plan for the ISU athletic department. He brought the coach that brought the players to this university... so I guess it can all link back to the players, but the ball started rolling when JP took the reigns.