Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why don't we blame the guy who created this mess?

When Dan McCarney was fired there were a LOT of potential candidates we could have gotten. We grabbed the first guy with a successful resume -- as a coordinator -- we could. From day one everyone knew he saw ISU as a stepping stone and it was pretty clear that he never really wanted to be here. A good hire? Not really. And who brought him here? Jamie Pollard.

The basketball had a coaching change and has had 3 years of not sniffing any postseason play. Who made that coaching change? Jamie Pollard.

Fans are staying away partly because of ticket prices and partly because of a flawed seat donation/season ticket scheme that rewards NOT buying season tickets. Who put together that scheme? Jamie Pollard.

Now we're conducting a coaching search with the promise that it will be confidential and secretive. And on day one, we have the humiliation of being told publicly that a guy coaching at a MAC school would rather stay there then take our job in the Big 12 at 4 to 5 times the salary. What does that say to the rest of the college football world, including all other potential candidates? And who promised us this confidentiality? Jamie Pollard.

I have heard multiple radio shows with hosts and callers expressing sympathy for the tough situation Jamie is now in regarding the football program and the state of ISU athletics in general. What a crock. There is no reason to feel sorry for Jamie Pollard for cleaning up a mess -- he created the mess in the first place. Gene lied to him? Gene is a snake oil salesman, you say? Give me a break. If Chizik is a snake oil salesman, then Pollard must be the most gullible dupe in the history of snake oil sales. We are not going to see better performance on the field or court until we get better performance from our athletic director.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Why don't we blame the guy who created this mess?

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    When Dan McCarney was fired there were a LOT of potential candidates we could have gotten. We grabbed the first guy with a successful resume -- as a coordinator -- we could. From day one everyone knew he saw ISU as a stepping stone and it was pretty clear that he never really wanted to be here. A good hire? Not really. And who brought him here? Jamie Pollard.

The basketball had a coaching change and has had 3 years of not sniffing any postseason play. Who made that coaching change? Jamie Pollard.

Fans are staying away partly because of ticket prices and partly because of a flawed seat donation/season ticket scheme that rewards NOT buying season tickets. Who put together that scheme? Jamie Pollard.

Now we're conducting a coaching search with the promise that it will be confidential and secretive. And on day one, we have the humiliation of being told publicly that a guy coaching at a MAC school would rather stay there then take our job in the Big 12 at 4 to 5 times the salary. What does that say to the rest of the college football world, including all other potential candidates? And who promised us this confidentiality? Jamie Pollard.

I have heard multiple radio shows with hosts and callers expressing sympathy for the tough situation Jamie is now in regarding the football program and the state of ISU athletics in general. What a crock. There is no reason to feel sorry for Jamie Pollard for cleaning up a mess -- he created the mess in the first place. Gene lied to him? Gene is a snake oil salesman, you say? Give me a break. If Chizik is a snake oil salesman, then Pollard must be the most gullible dupe in the history of snake oil sales. We are not going to see better performance on the field or court until we get better performance from our athletic director.
    Pollard had that press conference yesterday as a CYA move - get people feeling bad for him.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

I think you forgot a couple things:

Who raised the budget nearly $20,000,000 since arriving? Jamie Pollard

Who is the one who pushed the Phase I of improvements to Jack Trice? Jamie Pollard

Who is the one who pushed the Phase II of improvements to Jack Trice? Jamie Pollard

Who is the one currently pushing bowling in Jack Trice? Jamie Pollard

Who is the one responsible for the new basketball practice facility? Jamie Pollard

Who is the one responsible for the rise of the cross country, track, volleyball, etc. programs? Jamie Pollard

If you're going to play the Dan McCarney route, why did the locker room have more talent in it last fall than the end of Dan's tenure? I loved McCarney as much as the next person, but we're paying for his lack of recruiting in his last couple seasons right now.

Typical MontyBurns, only presenting the side of the argument that benefits what he wants to say.

Last edited by IcSyU; 12-16-2008 at 06:04 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Another bad thread.....yawn

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyPride View Post
    Pollard had that press conference yesterday as a CYA move - get people feeling bad for him.
    Yeah I know. I thought he was pathetic to blame Chizik for being a bad guy, considering that Jamie was the one who "discovered" him, brought him here, and sold him to us in the first place.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

Addict
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 42

It's not socially acceptable to blame Pollard for anything on here, for some reason.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

From the old Cyclonenation.com to here. Your post never seem to amaze me. You sir are a freaking nut. You are not a fan of ISU athletics, you always find something to ****** about. I would put you on my ignore list, but what good is that, your comments are so loco that someone always seems to reply to something you have written (I know I am falling in that boat tight now). ***** about something else for once.

Last edited by Swanson10; 12-17-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post

Who is the one who pushed the Phase I of improvements to Jack Trice? Jamie Pollard

Who is the one who pushed the Phase II of improvements to Jack Trice? Jamie Pollard

Who is the one responsible for the new basketball practice facility? Jamie Pollard

Who is the one responsible for the rise of the cross country, track, volleyball, etc. programs? Jamie Pollard

Typical MontyBurns, only presenting the side of the argument that benefits what he wants to say.
    Now if only he could make our team better

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 529

If we take your route, then we can't go nuts assigning blame.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Thumbs Up

What good is any of that if all the programs have gone to crap?

In the 5 years before Pollard, we had 4 bowl games and 3 BB tournament teams. In the 3+ years of Pollard, we've had no bowls, no tournaments, nothing.

I don't know about you, but I would rather be planning a bowl trip for 2 weeks from now than looking at a new concession stand behind an empty football stadium or construction site for a new practice facility.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5

Forgot a few:

Who got Cael as our wrestling coach?

Who gave Fennelly a lifetime contract?

Who has kept our great Volleyball coach from leaving dispite her being contact by 6 different schools in the last year?

I think Pollard gets a bad rap for McDermott and Chizik but he couldn't have even guessed that Gene would've done this after 2 years! As for McDermott, that has yet to play out, it could still end up being great, it also could be terrible, but at the time it looked like a no-brainer.

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Do you remember VanDavelde?(sp) We are blessed to have such an ambitious AD like Pollard. A mistake was made, It happens!

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Most of us believed Chizik too! Wow we are all upset and this waiting sucks ,but please.Auburn wanted him with no wins???? SO who would believe that not me or you if your honest.

Walk On
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

are you seriously trying to blame Pollard after all the passion he just showed he has for ISU yesterday? He is one of the few cyclones that truly bleeds cardinal and gold. Definitely more than you have shown.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    What good is any of that if all the programs have gone to crap?

In the 5 years before Pollard, we had 4 bowl games and 3 BB tournament teams. In the 3+ years of Pollard, we've had no bowls, no tournaments, nothing.

I don't know about you, but I would rather be planning a bowl trip for 2 weeks from now than looking at a new concession stand behind an empty football stadium or construction site for a new practice facility.
    I love how you place all the blame on Jamie. Our BB program was going to be terrible no matter what because WM had to go. We actually could still go get him because he is selling Satelite TV in Ames...seriously...there is a reason no school will touch him with a 10 ft poll going 100 miles an hour and it is because he was doing shady stuff.

As for football, no one could've one with the team we had the first year. This year, yeah we probably could've won 4 or 5 (6 at max) but a few bad bounces and he we are. If we had kept McCarney during after back to back 3 win seasons people would've still called Jamie an idiot. He was in a lose-lose situation once he picked Gene. That is really the only thing he did wrong and like I said before, he couldn't have known he was going to screw over him and ISU so soon.