Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 42,831, Level: 63
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,662
    Points
    42,831
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 302

    Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    for our ISU job?

    First, I'm a loyalist - when I believe in an organization's leadership. I believe in JP, so I'll happily welcome whomever he selects as our next football coach, be it Farley, Gill, Patterson, or someone else.

    Second, I'm posting a separate thread about Patterson hoping that some focused information from my compadres here might be forthcoming.

    Gill seems like an outstanding candidate, but a key reason to support Patterson, it seems to me, is that he built a weak TCU football program into something of a powerhouse. More importantly, Patterson SUSTAINED TCU's strength over time.

    And, there's that Texas angle, too. The state is our No. 1 recruiting field, and Patterson knows the "Republic" inside out.

    So, I ask, anyone here have evidence that the ISU-Patterson link is a two-way street, or is the only thing at work here speculation?

    Thanks.


    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

    We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

  2. #2
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 379,722, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24,445
    Points
    379,722
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,261
    Given: 1,962

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Didn't Franchione originally build TCU into a decent team?

    Patterson didn't start from scratch.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 324,915, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,534
    Points
    324,915
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,830
    Given: 773

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    He is by far my number one choice, and was last time around as well. I believe his wife has some tie to ISU/Ames, but I cant recall exactly what it is. Turner Gill would be great, but Gary Patterson would be outstanding!



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 158,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,942
    Points
    158,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 6

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    patterson would be a slam dunk.

    I am afraid we cannot afford him


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 38,605, Level: 60
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    HOTDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Posts
    2,391
    Points
    38,605
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    for our ISU job?

    First, I'm a loyalist - when I believe in an organization's leadership. I believe in JP, so I'll happily welcome whomever he selects as our next football coach, be it Farley, Gill, Patterson, or someone else.

    Second, I'm posting a separate thread about Patterson hoping that some focused information from my compadres here might be forthcoming.

    Gill seems like an outstanding candidate, but a key reason to support Patterson, it seems to me, is that he built a weak TCU football program into something of a powerhouse. More importantly, Patterson SUSTAINED TCU's strength over time.

    And, there's that Texas angle, too. The state is our No. 1 recruiting field, and Patterson knows the "Republic" inside out.

    So, I ask, anyone here have evidence that the ISU-Patterson link is a two-way street, or is the only thing at work here speculation?

    Thanks.
    I agree with your point, but I think the reason that Patterson is an excellent candidate is the same reason that we won't get him. The fact that he's proven that he can sustain success will allow him to pick a higher profile job when he feels the time is right.

    That is also part of the reason I think we might have a shot at Gill. He doesn't have the resume that Patterson has to fall back on and may need to strike while the iron is hot since a seasons long pattern of winning is still a bit of a question mark for him.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 49,092, Level: 68
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    StLouisClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    2,733
    Points
    49,092
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    Didn't Franchione originally build TCU into a decent team?

    Patterson didn't start from scratch.
    Yes, TCU was 10-1 in Franchione's last season there (2000). Patterson took over at the end of that season and coached TCU to a loss in the Alabama bowl. From that point forward, Patterson has had some up and down years, but mostly up.

    I am concerned about how well a guy like Patterson can recruit once he is 1000 miles from Texas.

    2000 TCU 0–1
    2001 TCU 6–6
    2002 TCU 10–2
    2003 TCU 11–2
    2004 TCU 5–6
    2005 TCU 11–1
    2006 TCU 11–2
    2007 TCU 8–5
    2008 TCU 10–2


    Last edited by StLouisClone; 12-16-2008 at 02:30 PM.

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 39,894, Level: 61
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISU_phoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Andover, MN
    Posts
    1,999
    Points
    39,894
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 12

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    I think either Gill or Patterson would be great. However, the one thing that leads me towards Gill is recruiting......I have to believe it would be easier to recruit to TCU (being in Texas) than at Buffalo. That alone makes me think the work Gill has done to be very impressive.


    Now that I'm done wasting any of my time being ****** at our former FRAUD of a coach, I'm focusing on the excitement who we're going to get!



  8. #8
    Prospect
    Points: 6,157, Level: 23
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    lars4isu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    40
    Points
    6,157
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Patterson graduated from Kansas State so there is Big 12 ties and his wife is from Ames. This would be his chance to get with a BCS school. He would be a good hire.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 45,847, Level: 66
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,103
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,805
    Points
    45,847
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 18

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Gary Patterson, if interested, should be our number one choice.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 42,831, Level: 63
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,662
    Points
    42,831
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 302

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    Yes, TCU was 10-1 in Franchione's last season there (2000). Patterson took over at the end of that season and coached TCU to a loss in the Alabama bowl. From that point forward, Patterson has had some up and down years, but mostly up.

    I am concerned about how well a guy like Patterson can recruit once he is 1000 miles from Texas.
    Oops! Then, Patterson did not build the program. But he did maintain it.

    But, consider his wide and deep Texas contacts. Since ISU will recruit heaviest there regardless (I'm assuming). . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    patterson would be a slam dunk. I am afraid we cannot afford him
    What does he earn, anyone know?

    TCU is a private institution, correct? If so, probably has quite a large investment in Patterson. Hard to see how we could outbid TCU; good point.


    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

    We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 158,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,942
    Points
    158,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 6

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    Oops! Then, Patterson did not build the program. But he did maintain it.

    But, consider his wide and deep Texas contacts. Since ISU will recruit heaviest there regardless (I'm assuming). . . .



    What does he earn, anyone know?

    TCU is a private institution, correct? If so, probably has quite a large investment in Patterson. Hard to see how we could outbid TCU; good point.

    I do know Minnisota offered him 2 million...and he turned them down.

    I would love to have Patterson


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 358,704, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    33,601
    Points
    358,704
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,265
    Given: 668

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Ya know, Pollard has said many times - in order to win - we have to take risks. That usually refers to dollars.

    I'd be completely ok with giving Patterson a fat contract, if he is truly interested in coming to ISU and helping us win.

    If ISU is not willing to pay a coach like Patterson what he's worth - what are we really expecting to get from someone else?

    Not a time to go bargain shopping...much hangs in the balance of this hire.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 21,936, Level: 45
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Crete, NE
    Posts
    1,429
    Points
    21,936
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Everyone has been trying to get Patterson for the last 5 years. I'm not sure why he would come to Ames, but if he does, AWSOM.

    I thought he was going to KSU where he played at. Not sure why he had a change of heart, but he would be a great coach.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 158,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,942
    Points
    158,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 6

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Ya know, Pollard has said many times - in order to win - we have to take risks. That usually refers to dollars.

    I'd be completely ok with giving Patterson a fat contract, if he is truly interested in coming to ISU and helping us win.

    If ISU is not willing to pay a coach like Patterson what he's worth - what are we really expecting to get from someone else?

    Not a time to go bargain shopping...much hangs in the balance of this hire.

    makes sense


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 299,144, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18,628
    Points
    299,144
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,457
    Given: 1,910

    Re: Should Patterson be the ideal man . . .

    We can't offer 2 mil though can we?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPNU
  • HOOPS: Iowa State @ Texas Tech
  • February 10, 2016
  • 08:00 PM