Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Selling Points of ISU

Lets go over the list of what Jamie can sell potential coaches on. This may help us put together a list of candidates who may actually look at this position.

1. Conference - Obviously we play in one of, if not the best conference in college football. If you can come to Iowa State and win you will be able to make a big name for yourself by doing so.

2. Facilities - This probably wasn't a great selling point when GC was hired and it sure wasn't when Mac came in. But I do believe the one thing that JP has done since he has arrived is improve the facilities around Iowa State.

3. Fan base - Obviously we are a pretty loyal fan base for the most part. I believe this coach will be able to unify our fans more then Chizik was because of how loyal people are to DMac. Since GC decided to Quit on Iowa State we are all waiting for someone who wants to be here and isn't following a pretty good coach being fired.

4. Money - We don't offer more money then the elite programs but our coaches aren't making chump change. Going from a school like Tulsa or Buffalo it would be an increase in wages. As well Jamie has shown he is willing to pay to have some of the best assistant coaches come to town.

5. Young Talent - This may be the biggest selling point change since the GC hire. We do have a lot of young players who have the ability to mature over the next two or three years if we can keep the base that is here already.

My list of things that would hinder a coaches opinion of Iowa State

1. Tradition - I don't believe an explanation is needed.

2. Conference - We do play in one of the best conferences in the country so this can go either way. If a new coach can't come in and be successful next season, it is going to take a lot the following two when we go head to head with the big boys of the Big 12 South.

3. Recruiting - For most high school kids in the state of Iowa, we are their second pick. I hate saying it but it seems to be that way. As well the state of Iowa isn't exactly a hot bed of football talent.

4. Weather - Since we will probably continue to recruit FL, Texas, California players, weather is going to play a roll in recruiting. As well it is pretty dang cold out this week and I believe we are planning on interview coaches this week, might be a hard sell.

5. Money - Maybe the biggest factor. Our budget is the smallest in the Big 12.

What else can you think of for either side?

Looking at some of these factors what do you think about the coaches that have been mentioned? Are they going to be willing to take the good with the bad or are they going to hold out for something they view as a better program?

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Re: Selling Points of ISU

Selling point: You can go 5-19 and apparently it won't be held against you if decide to look for a higher paying job at a big-name school (that is, if Auburn is happens to be looking for a coach)...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Sell the upgrading of the facilities.
    Sell the loyal fanbase.
    Sell the fact that You can make 1 Million + for winning a few games for the first few years and then be expected to phase in some average bowl games.
    You can go to Michigan, Auburn, Florida, Texas, OU etc.. and get ran out of town after a 6 or 7 win season.

The cold weather sucks, but really its 4 months a year. Football season is mostly in nice weather. The Big10 deals with it.

Last edited by HandSanitizer; 12-15-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So here's a question of opinion for you guys: Do you think the south end zone project will be moved UP or moved BACK?

I c an see it being moved up as a recruiting tool for hiring a coach (and possibly players, but probably not). I could see it being moved back because we just hit the 'rewind' button on team improvement, and the economy is in the crapper.

Thoughts?

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Sell the upgrading of the facilities.
    Sell the loyal fanbase.
    Sell the fact that You can make 1 Million + for winning a few games for the first few years and then be expected to phase in some average bowl games.
    You can go to Michigan, Auburn, Florida, Texas, OU etc.. and get ran out of town after a 6 or 7 win season.

The cold weather sucks, but really its 4 months a year. Football season is mostly in nice weather. The Big10 deals with it.
    But the Big 10 also has Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Columbus, Cinncinnatti, etc. That is really what hurts ISU's recruiting, no local big metro of top caliber athletes to pull from.

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 273

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    So here's a question of opinion for you guys: Do you think the south end zone project will be moved UP or moved BACK?

I c an see it being moved up as a recruiting tool for hiring a coach (and possibly players, but probably not). I could see it being moved back because we just hit the 'rewind' button on team improvement, and the economy is in the crapper.

Thoughts?

I think it still moves forward. Why let the facilities fade just because we have some setbacks. If we do that, we will be right back to where we were before.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Thoughts?

I see it being moved waaaaaaaaay back. Unless we hire a homerun that we can trust, season ticket sales are going to go way down. Especially if what we've been hearing about losing young talent is true. Where are we going to get all the money to do these rennovations?? Where HAVE we been getting the money to do them in the first place??

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

You can run any defense you want and it will be an upgrade.

You do not have to worry too much about qb.

You can look like a shiny white knight as you have no legacy to match.

You can enjoy dodge ball and movies with your team and know you mean it.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 60

Other then being in the Big East, the Big XII North is probably the easiest route to a BCS bowl in the nation. If you can win a fairly weak division than you are one win away from a BCS game.

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

Thoughts?
    I may be wrong but I thought the plan was to start building the south endzone after the 2009 football season IF the financing is in place. I believe they are working on the east side consessions and suites to look like the west side.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This coaching change could be a blessing in disguise; if we hire a proven head coach who brings in their staff - a well-organized staff - we could win next year, re-energize the entire fanbase, and facilities improvements, ticket sales, etc...can all be on or ahead of schedule. We can win next year!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyGuy33 View Post
    Lets go over the list of what Jamie can sell potential coaches on. This may help us put together a list of candidates who may actually look at this position.

1. Conference - Obviously we play in one of, if not the best conference in college football. If you can come to Iowa State and win you will be able to make a big name for yourself by doing so.

2. Facilities - This probably wasn't a great selling point when GC was hired and it sure wasn't when Mac came in. But I do believe the one thing that JP has done since he has arrived is improve the facilities around Iowa State.

3. Fan base - Obviously we are a pretty loyal fan base for the most part. I believe this coach will be able to unify our fans more then Chizik was because of how loyal people are to DMac. Since GC decided to Quit on Iowa State we are all waiting for someone who wants to be here and isn't following a pretty good coach being fired.

4. Money - We don't offer more money then the elite programs but our coaches aren't making chump change. Going from a school like Tulsa or Buffalo it would be an increase in wages. As well Jamie has shown he is willing to pay to have some of the best assistant coaches come to town.

5. Young Talent - This may be the biggest selling point change since the GC hire. We do have a lot of young players who have the ability to mature over the next two or three years if we can keep the base that is here already.

My list of things that would hinder a coaches opinion of Iowa State

1. Tradition - I don't believe an explanation is needed.

2. Conference - We do play in one of the best conferences in the country so this can go either way. If a new coach can't come in and be successful next season, it is going to take a lot the following two when we go head to head with the big boys of the Big 12 South.

3. Recruiting - For most high school kids in the state of Iowa, we are their second pick. I hate saying it but it seems to be that way. As well the state of Iowa isn't exactly a hot bed of football talent.

4. Weather - Since we will probably continue to recruit FL, Texas, California players, weather is going to play a roll in recruiting. As well it is pretty dang cold out this week and I believe we are planning on interview coaches this week, might be a hard sell.

5. Money - Maybe the biggest factor. Our budget is the smallest in the Big 12.

What else can you think of for either side?

Looking at some of these factors what do you think about the coaches that have been mentioned? Are they going to be willing to take the good with the bad or are they going to hold out for something they view as a better program?

I'll tackle these points:

1. Yep, we play in the toughest conference; and it's a steep uphill climb every year. We are a have not in the Big XII

2. Our facilities are inferior to most in the our conference.
    3. I'll give you the fanbase argument.
    4. We are also inferior when it comes to competing dollar for dollar.
    5. We have young players but do we really have young talent? Look at some of the other young players in the NCAA; Julio Jones, Ohio State QB, USC's entire team. Not even close

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

If we are able to keep the kids we have in place without mass defections the new coach should have a good young talent base of po'd kids. Probably a better situation than Chizik walked into...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan50438 View Post
    I may be wrong but I thought the plan was to start building the south endzone after the 2009 football season IF the financing is in place. I believe they are working on the east side consessions and suites to look like the west side.

south endzone gets pushed back. We need to prove that we can sell that many seats. It's a bad recruiting tool to have a percieved 2/3 full stadium all the time....

In my opinion, we need the financing AND the demand for 60k+ tickets before you bowl in the endzone. Anyone short of Turner Gill will result in a drop in season ticket sales (and it still might).

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Our facilities have caught up. One advantage we have is alot of these schools have had the extra facilities for a long time and they are becoming outdated. We have brand new facilities because we never had them before...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno