Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been there.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Been there.

And it sucks. Man, it sucks.

This summer, UNI lost their head track coach to Arkansas. I happened to be a member of that team.

Much like the players on the ISU team, we were not informed almost whatsoever until we read it in the newspaper. No team meeting, no team email, etc. Just rumors, rumors, rumors and then pop - coach was gone.

I remember a mix of emotions that week - ranging from "we're happy for you," to the extremes seen here.

The important thing for a program and for the team is for everyone to stick together and concentrate on moving forward. There is a lot of emotion in this situation, but I see a LOT of parllels between the two. Coach leaves for a bigger program with a bigger paycheck, etc.

I've never been a big fan of Iowa State, obviously. But I think I can definitely send my support and will be pulling for the guys who just had the rug pulled out from under them. ISU football has gained a fan in Cedar Falls for the next few years, at least.

Stick together and things will work themselves out. Hopefully you will get lucky we did and get an amazing staff out of this.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Re: Been there.

Thanks

Not trying to be a jerk when I say this, but how does losing a track coach compare to getting stabbed in the back by a football coach? Does anybody care about track?

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Nice post. Thanks for the sentiments. If nothing else, it's classy of you to support our players since you've been through the same thing.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 981
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 16

I am just hoping that someone like AA will become a team leader in all of this and group the team together so half the team doesn't leave.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 554

I think A-rob will defiently be a huge help, along with AA. A-rob is here to stay.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Thanks

Not trying to be a jerk when I say this, but how does losing a track coach compare to getting stabbed in the back by a football coach? Does anybody care about track?
    Wow. Perhaps the reason you weren't trying to be a jerk is that you don't have to put any effort into being one?

Yes, people care about track. An athlete is an athlete no matter what their sport, and they represent the same school and athletic program that the football players do. Criminy.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 981
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    Wow. Perhaps the reason you weren't trying to be a jerk is that you don't have to put any effort into being one?

Yes, people care about track. An athlete is an athlete no matter what their sport, and they represent the same school and athletic program that the football players do. Criminy.
    Also a team is a team. If the chess club had their coach leave i am sure it would mess them up a little as well.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Thanks

You give all ISU fans a bad name...he was a member of the team that lost the coach, and you don't think he cares about that??? Just because it's not a money-making sport like football or basketball doesn't mean it's meaningless.

Hey, newsflash, no one outside of Iowa and Oklahoma care about wrestling...does that mean we shouldn't either?

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Thanks

How can you be anything but a jerk and ask "Thanks, but who cares?"

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I didn't mean it to come off that way. All I am saying is that if Iowa State lost its track coach tomorrow, there would be a 35 post thread on it. There have been 10,000 posts about a head football coach leaving. I was just pointing out the difference

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I AM SORRY I DIDN'T READ THE FULL POST!!!!! I just skimmed it

I didn't see that you were a member of team! I feel like an *** now and will take any bad comments about me. I am sorry

Pro
    Thumbs Up

I didn't mean it to come off that way. All I am saying is that if Iowa State lost its track coach tomorrow, there would be a 35 post thread on it. There have been 10,000 posts about a head football coach leaving. I was just pointing out the difference

There's a difference for fans and media, but it's still the same dissapointment for the players.

I myself am mad, but I am also concerend for the players and recruits. They made big decisions with their families on where to go to school, and it turns out to all be a lie.

It is interesting to get perspective from an athlete who experienced this in college.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

I AM SORRY I DIDN'T READ THE FULL POST!!!!! I just skimmed it

I didn't see that you were a member of team! I feel like an *** now and will take any bad comments about me. I am sorry
    No offense taken. Don't worry about it.

It was especially tough for me to swallow because he was the event coach for the event that I transferred to compete in the semester prior. I'd compare it to GC being the QB coach and head coach, having someone transfer in for one season, and then GC leaving.

If anything, it made our team MUCH closer and things have NEVER been better.

I hope the same for your players. They'll be ****** for awhile, but the faster they can move on and get behind another coach (we got lucky and got an amazing hire from inside the already-awesome program), the better for everyone involved.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I actually had the same thing happen to me when I was in college. My head coach left when I was a freshman. It was hard to be to hard on him though, as the AD was horrible and wouldn't pay him more money.

My coach took a baseball team that was terrible. He won 2 games the first year, 27 the second, and we was continuosly ranked after that. The AD wouldn't give him a raise, wouldn't put money towards the program, nothing. So he went somewhere else. Hard to blame him, even though it sucked

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I didn't mean it to come off that way. All I am saying is that if Iowa State lost its track coach tomorrow, there would be a 35 post thread on it.
    35 posts? Really? That seems pretty high to me. Who is our track coach? Do we even have a track team?

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.