Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Recruiting Calendar

I've seen several posts suggesting that this recruiting season is doomed due to the late hour. For an established program, recruiting is a year 'round process. But, it's not too late - I believe we are on the leading edge of the curve as far as programs changing coaches. I've noted before that Callaghan wan't named to Nebraska until the second week of January and did alright in this first year. True, GC can't be too leisurely, but I don't get the sense that he is a laid back kind of guy. I suspect there will be some multi-tasking - assessing current players, touching base in Iowa while pursuing the many contacts this group of coaches has throughout the south. Do you suppose there are a few kids that went to camp at UT that won't get an offer from the Longhorns? We only need 15-20 guys who have the same faith in the Pollard-Chizik dream that we do.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Recruiting Calendar

I think we will get some good recruits under the circumstances that we are. I do firmly believe though come next year or the year after, even if we still dont win, we will get better recruits because the staff will have more time to build the relationships that they talk highly of.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

GC is a week or two ahead of Prince's timeline in putting a staff together last year at KSU. KSU ended up with a decent class last year (41st on rivals compared to 63rd for ISU). Prince got 6 of his commitments the last half of Dec and 21 in Jan. I'm hoping that GC can lock up a few guys before the dead period, but most of the class will take shape in mid-Jan.

The staff connections to Florida might be very beneficial this year. If I remember correctly, Fl HS playoffs are late in the year and many don't schedule their visits until Jan.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 2

I am willing to bet that Chizik pulls one of our best recruiting classes ever. You probably wont see the in state recruiting change this year but I think he will pull some great kids from the south over the next 2 months. He now has the majority of his staff in place so now they can hit the road.

If Mac had stayed our recruiting would not have been very good. It seems like it was getting stagnant around here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Anyone have a link or anything to how our classes ranked each year under Mac?

“Also, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I don’t want to leave any of that behind.” - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycurtis View Post
    If Mac had stayed our recruiting would not have been very good. It seems like it was getting stagnant around here.
    I still can't figure out why Mac only had 6-7 recruits committed before the season started. I don't remember him being that far behind before. And it's not like there was evidence that the season would bottom out before it started. I'm curious why Mac didn't do better this year...

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I would say I am very concerned for this year..........the staff still hasn't been finalized and we are starting from behind with only 6 commits so it isn't like he is locking up exisitng commits.............Look at programs liek Mich State and NC State, they hired after us and they each have 10-15 commits on board...........Mich State has all of the coach positions locked up already.....I have faith in GC but I would like to see some commits before the end of the year

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The reason Michigan State may have its coaches in place is because the new coach pretty much brought his staff from Cincy with him. I could be wrong though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 33

Another reason that Michigan State has more commitments at this point is that they have a bit easier time of recruiting than ISU does. Many more recruits in their backyard.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Most programs usually have around 15-20 commitments at this point in the game. That McCarney left us with only 6-7 committed...well, that disgusts me!

Remember, these are 17 and 18 year old kids and these are just verbal commitments...things are always "fluid" as we come down the stretch. Kids change their minds, schools fill up all their slots, etc. This is why all of these programs continue to recruit a kid even after he gives a verbal...especially now with some kids giving verbals as sophomores and juniors.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoClone View Post
    I would say I am very concerned for this year..........the staff still hasn't been finalized and we are starting from behind with only 6 commits so it isn't like he is locking up exisitng commits.............Look at programs liek Mich State and NC State, they hired after us and they each have 10-15 commits on board...........Mich State has all of the coach positions locked up already.....I have faith in GC but I would like to see some commits before the end of the year
    Yes, NCState has 15 commits. All 15 were to the previous staff. O'brien hasn't signed anyone since he took over. I didn't look at MSU, but I bet that the situation is similar. Let's keep things in the proper perspective. I'm glad to see Chizik first evaluating the strengths & weaknesses of the returning players rather than running out to sign the 1st 25 guys who are looking for a ride.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

The other 11 schools in the Big 12 average 19 commits at this point - 4 schools have 25 already.
    If GC can get this years class rank to be above last in the league he will have done a very good job.

Prospect
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    I've seen several posts suggesting that this recruiting season is doomed due to the late hour. For an established program, recruiting is a year 'round process. But, it's not too late - I believe we are on the leading edge of the curve as far as programs changing coaches. I've noted before that Callaghan wan't named to Nebraska until the second week of January and did alright in this first year. True, GC can't be too leisurely, but I don't get the sense that he is a laid back kind of guy. I suspect there will be some multi-tasking - assessing current players, touching base in Iowa while pursuing the many contacts this group of coaches has throughout the south. Do you suppose there are a few kids that went to camp at UT that won't get an offer from the Longhorns? We only need 15-20 guys who have the same faith in the Pollard-Chizik dream that we do.
    This was Coach Mac's motto - "Why Not Us?"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

The free site I use is posted below. It's pretty good for history, but I'm not sure how current. You can play with the years and see how we rank nationally and how we rank in the conference. It's not too pretty the past 4-5 years.
    http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank...&Type=0&Sort=0

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 265

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    GC is a week or two ahead of Prince's timeline in putting a staff together last year at KSU. KSU ended up with a decent class last year (41st on rivals compared to 63rd for ISU). Prince got 6 of his commitments the last half of Dec and 21 in Jan. I'm hoping that GC can lock up a few guys before the dead period, but most of the class will take shape in mid-Jan.

The staff connections to Florida might be very beneficial this year. If I remember correctly, Fl HS playoffs are late in the year and many don't schedule their visits until Jan.

Prince had feelers out everywhere and to anyone who would accept. Callahan actually has donme much better recruiting than his first year. Jeremy Crabtree today said it will be tough for Gene. They talked about hanging onto Bates. Nebraska lost their thrid string qb today. That is about four or five qbs they have lost. The system may have been too complicated for Brian Hildebrand.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.