Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 0

It's a fact - we're rebuilding.

After what some people said in the last few days I feel the need to address something. They were worrying about if we were in for a long rebuilding period in basketball if certain things didn’t happen. I think we’re in for a long rebuilding process anyway. Just look at the recruiting classes. Next year, we’ll have a few seniors: McIntosh, Taylor, Jiri, Rahshon. Two of them are Jucos who McD brought in. The year after that, we’ll have two seniors: Ross and Thompson, who transferred in this year. So as far as traditional players brought in prior to McDermott, we’ll have three guys in the next two years.

Rashon was brought in with the 2004 class; here are the people that came in with him:

Aaron Agnew: Should have played left tackle, transferred after 1 year.
    Tasheed Carr: Transferred after sophomore year.
    Ivan Chiriaev: Declared for draft next day after commitment.
    Rahshon Clark: Will finish his career as a Cyclone. (only member of this class for 4 years)
    Anthony Davis: Played his two years of eligibility out
    Robert Faulkner: Was gone after a very short stint as a Cyclone

Here are people from the 2005 class with Ross:

Farnold Degand: Transferred after Wayne was fired.
    Mike Evanovich: Transferred after Wayne was fired.
    Jessan Gray: Finishing up his senior year.
    Jiri Hubalek: Will finish up next year.
    Kellen Lee: Never made it to campus.
    Ross Marsden: Will graduate in 2009 (only member of this class for 4 years)
    Shawn Taggert: Transferred after Wayne was fired.

When a coach is left with two players who will play four years in two back to back years of recruiting classes, one a junior and one a sophomore, one juco transfer senior, and one juco transfer junior… you are officially in rebuilding mode. This doesn’t include the fact that he was hired after both signing periods so there were virtually no remaining great recruits in the 2006 class. That being said I think we found some diamonds in the rough with Dodie, W. Johnson, and the retained C. Johnson. I think all of these players can become excellent contributors and could see W. Johnson being an all-big 12 type player. But they are young and everybody else only has two years to play.

I am excited for the future of Cyclone basketball, but I’ll be thrilled with an NIT finish this year, am expecting a good NIT team next year but would be thrilled with an NCAA berth, and I’ll start expecting NCAA teams in three years and be thrilled with Sweet 16 appearances. I think some people got a little ahead of themselves when this team got off to a 6-0 start against some terrible competition to start the year. Keep in mind what we’re working with here in a new system. It’s going to be a fun ride to the promised land, but it’s still a few years away.

Last edited by BryceC; 12-13-2006 at 11:00 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: It's a fact - we're rebuilding.

Holy crap, that was long.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Good lord Wayne was a terrible recruiter . Chiraev...what ever happened to that guy? At one point he was projected to be a top 10 draft pick. I think Degand could've been pretty damn good for us.

Just about all the bigs that WM recruited were reaches. He was always one for the exciting athlete. Style over substance, then scrap together a few inept bigs.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm just looking for game to game improvement. Anything else is just to far ahead.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Chiraev ended up pulling out of the draft that year, playing euro basketball for a few years, and then reentering the draft again this year only to be not selected again. If you're interested, here's a little article about Ivan. He sounds like Jiri's younger brother to me.

By Jeff Thomas, Canadian Correspondent
    May 09, 2004

When fans and NBA scouts arrived at the first annual Adidas All-Canadian Game, all eyes were on Ivan Chiriaev. Chiriaev is the 7-1 Russian native who has recently declared for the NBA draft. He already signed super-agent Bill Duffy leaving him ineligible for the NCAA. Few players were more hyped up then Chiriaev. A 7'1" point guard who could handle the ball, shoot the three, drive and dunk? These are the qualities of a NBA superstar, a certain NBA lottery pick. There was just one problem, Chiriaev showed none of these qualities.

The game was meant to showcase Chiriaev's talent to the NBA. Instead, he just ended up embarrassing himself. Chiriaev's play during the game was mediocre at best. Although he was hyped up as a great athlete who could move like a guard, Chiriaev played like he was stuck in quicksand. He showed no explosiveness or quickness. One play he got the ball a few feet from the basket and could have easily dunked it, instead Chiriaev pump faked and ended up missing a lay-up. I doubt Chiriaev even has the ability to dunk consistently. He has gained way too much weight and looks like he has a double chin. What happened to the great athleticism which would make him the tallest point guard in NBA history?

Not only was Chiriaev slow, sluggish, and unathletic, he also showed very limited point guard skills. He was guarded by Kyle Landry a 6'9" PF who is a mediocre Division 1 prospect, yet Chiriaev simply got shut down. Chiriaev did not drive to the basket once. If he can't drive past Kyle Landry, imagine what will happen when he gets to the NBA. He will commit a turnover every time he touches the ball! To Chiriaev's credit he did make a few nice passes, too bad the rest of the passes were thrown out of bounds. Any NBA team who even considers playing Chiriaev as anything other then a power forward would be insane.

At 7'1" Chiriaev must be able to get a lot of rebounds, right? Well apparently not, Chiriaev finished the game with an absolutely pathetic 4 rebounds. He is content on playing strictly on the perimeter and never crashes the boards. Chiriaev's size is completely negated because he never goes inside. On the defensive end, he is flat out one of the worst defenders I have ever witnessed. Chiraev has no lateral mobility, and gets beat off the dribble by any player with minimal quickness or ball handling ability. With all of these GLARING weaknesses, it was hard to find any positives in his game.

If there is one thing that impressed me about Chiriaev, it was his shooting. He has a nice touch and hit three NBA range 3 pointers. He also has an impressive turnaround jumper. However, Chiriaev also has no post moves to speak of. Not once did he score in the post or get to the foul line.

After the game was over, I couldn't help but feel like I had wasted 2 hours of my life. NBA scouts were completely disgusted at Chiriaev's performance. Chiriaev is nothing more then a slow, weak, unathletic power forward, who thinks he can play point guard. If this guy gets drafted anywhere near the first round, then a team is making a HUGE mistake. Chiriaev is years away from ever contributing to a team. Most likely he will be cut, or buried on the bench for his entire NBA career. Judging from his performance, there is absolutely no chance that he will end up like Dirk Nowitzki. A better comparison would be a less agile Wang Zhi Zhi. Even comparing him to Wang would be giving Ivan too much credit. He truly is "Ivan the Terrible."

Last edited by BryceC; 12-12-2006 at 04:27 PM.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info Bryce, good stuff. That writer appears to truly hate Ivan. It's been two years since that was written...I wonder if "Ivan the terrible" has done anything to enhance himself as a prospect.

This guy makes Jiri sound like a gift

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If we become more competitive during the Big 12 season, and finish something like 6-10, with a surprise win here or there, things could look up for next year. It shouldn't take too long for McDermott to turn things around. I think our main weakness is size inside; I'm surprised they didn't go after a JUCO role-playing rebounder this past off season.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

We need just to see improvement from all players, Clark needs to lead .....Can He?

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think GMac has been very smart to get as many committments from some pretty good players as far into the future as he could before they had a chance to see us struggle this year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 343

Have we finally accepted that Stinnett will not be a Cyclone also? That was a long drawn out affair. At least the others got up and left in a timely fashion. How is Westbrook doing? We know Taggart is sitting out.

As far as Ivan goes, he lost his opportunity to go to college and NBA bypassed him. He must be in Netherland by now.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Another recruit that never got on campus was Theo Davis. I'm almost sure he was a 5 star. He did sign with Gonzaga though in the 06 recruiting class... heres the link http://iowastate.rivals.com/commitlist.asp

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Last night GMac said he would like a big country type center in a year or two, but they are really hard to find.

All we really need is a Homan or Loren Meyer that can develop over time.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 149

Nice glowing article about Ivan...

Sounds like a 3rd grader could school him.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We may be rebuilding, but in basketball the process should happen quickly.

The key is recruiting kids that can come in and play immediately as freshmen and sophomores. Look at all the freshmen making an impact across the country this year...Texas, KU, Ohio State, North Carolina...this list is long. With all of the AAU ball and the advent of Prep Schools, these kids can be quite polished by the time they enroll.

If we are recruiting kids that are going to take 3 or 4 years to develop then we are recruiting the wrong kids.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 1,213

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    If we are recruiting kids that are going to take 3 or 4 years to develop then we are recruiting the wrong kids.
    Are you just making stuff up? Who is arguing that we are recruiting kids that will take "3 or 4 years to develop"?