Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Called in to (Fox Sports Radio's) John Fricke last night...

He was a little perplexed about Chizik's hire too (then again, who's not?).

Anywho, after talking a bit about Chizik's departure, he asked me who I thought ISU might pursue. I mentioned Gill as a popular choice. He was pretty doubtful based on Gill's experience at NU, knowing the challenges ISU faces and how difficult it would be to win there. He seemed to think that Pollard should go after someone with midwest ties (southern coaches probably wouldn't like Iowa's winters) that could recruit Omaha and Chicago. But, he did point out that ISU is NOT the worst outpost out there for coaching -- saying there's hope for a decent hire...

Last edited by Nedrick; 12-14-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Re: Called in to (Fox Sports Radio's) John Fricke last night...

I agree ISU can't be a "worst" coaching location. I think something that is over looked is how committed ISU is to the program. President Geoffrey has bought in and with someone like Pollard with the vision, a coach could definitely do worse. There are facility upgrades taking place all over. The indoor practice facility is a great building that didn't exist here even a few years back.

Fan support won't break records but the fans here understand if you aren't 10-2 in your first season. Heck, the next coach could probably win 3-4 games and be considered a success with all that has happened. In that regard, you have some wiggle room and not under a microscope from the AD and boosters.

You get to compete in the Big XII which, right now, is about equal with the SEC in caliber.

If you are successful here, the community will embrace you and love you. Orr is a great example.

I think ISU has something to offer a coach who is willing to work hard. A coach could certainly do worse.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Called in to (Fox Sports Radio's) John Fricke last night...

Oddly enough, I heard your call last night. Actually, I think I only heard his response. Only had the radio on briefly. I think his response made a lot of sense, though his female co-host also made a good point, in that a lot of the past success that the host mentioned at ISU was before
    the time of current recruits. Chicago and Omaha could be good regional recruiting grounds (add KC and STL). The job is not going to be an easy sell for potential coaches, but there's some opportunity for a hard-working up-and-comer. I hope Pollard hires someone with midwestern ties.