Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 34,044, Level: 56
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BKLYNCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,816
    Points
    34,044
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 33

    Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    How many premier BCS (let alone SEC) teams would hire a coach that was just 5-19 in the past two year? What does that say about Iowa State's reputation? Apparently Auburn is operating under the fact that even "good" coaches can't win in Ames, and was willing to forgive the very lackluster performance by GC at ISU due to the fact that it was ISU...

    Strangely, the only thing we've got going for us at the moment is that we apparently didn't kill GC's career. We might not be as much of a risk to aspiring coaches' careers as I previously thought.

    I hope that we can get out of this slump soon. We need some stability at ISU in a major men's program... I hope Pollard can bring someone who can retain the players. All this turnover is driving me nuts.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 112,943, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,744
    Points
    112,943
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 50

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    How many premier BCS (let alone SEC) teams would hire a coach that was just 5-19 in the past two year? What does that say about Iowa State's reputation? Apparently Auburn is operating under the fact that even "good" coaches can't win in Ames, and was willing to forgive the very lackluster performance by GC at ISU due to the fact that it was ISU...

    Strangely, the only thing we've got going for us at the moment is that we apparently didn't kill GC's career. We might not be as much of a risk to aspiring coaches' careers as I previously thought.

    I hope that we can get out of this slump soon. We need some stability at ISU in a major men's program... I hope Pollard can bring someone who can retain the players. All this turnover is driving me nuts.
    Sadly, I think you're on to something. I also wonder what Gene said about Iowa State when asked about the 5-19 record...
    It seems that Iowa State is the backwater of college football to outsiders.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 34,044, Level: 56
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BKLYNCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,816
    Points
    34,044
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 33

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    As irritated as I am, I can't blame GC... I'm pretty sure no one is more surprised than he is. He's as untested as they come in the head coaching department. It may turn out to be a stroke of brilliance on Auburn's part, but right now I'd rate this as one of the two worst hires this year in college football, KSU and Bill Snyder as the other. (Then again, I haven't seen who JP is bringing in yet).

    I hate to say it, but which coach out there wouldn't take this opportunity? Sure, you'd have to deal with and recruit against Saban, but at least you'd be a program with some history to back you up. (Can't help but think how big of a smile is on Saban's face right now...)

    GC had the chance to build a program from the ground up... Now he's in a position where he might torpedo two programs back to back. Who would have thought that coaching at Auburn might be more risky to GC's career than coaching at ISU...

    Either way, GC's earned his future (good or bad).



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 34,044, Level: 56
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BKLYNCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,816
    Points
    34,044
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 33

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Lame, I know... I'm the only one posting in this thread... That being said, Schlabach's article on espn.com has the paragraph I've been fearing.

    "In all fairness, two seasons at Iowa State aren't a fair measure of Chizik's abilities as a head coach. The Cyclones have traditionally been one of college football's worst programs. They had 13 non-winning seasons in the 16-year period before Dan McCarney arrived. McCarney took Iowa State to five bowl games in six seasons but was fired after a 4-8 finish in 2006."

    Oh and, Herbie's comments aren't making me feel any better. Lil'11 homer...

    The point is that Chizik fleeing is resulting in a ton of bad press for us right now. (He's about the least popular person in college football). JP is going to have to earn his money in the next 2 weeks.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 391,469, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,144
    Points
    391,469
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    He earned 750 k this weekend.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  6. #6
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Shinyhappyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    538
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Gene could have helped that reputation by, I don't know, maybe coaching some defense so we don't lose that Colorado game.

    We are the Herculian task of college football....let's don't kid ourselves. Hell, I could coach Florida State or Cal or South Florida to a bowl game. Who has more challenges: Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke, Washington State, Rutgers, or Nevada??

    We are what we are, and it will be that much sweeter when we do reach that promised land. I may not get there with you, but we will. Yes, things are rep is bad. We are mutts. Look: Bill Fennellys nose is cold. But there is nothing more loveable, more loyal than a mutt. Who cried when they saw Old Yeller?

    Anyway, it does not take CSI to see that there was an almost identifiable point where Gene quit on this team, and ironically, it coincides with Bates leaving. That crap after Kansas down in Baylor was an uncoached disaster. Auburn better hope that Gene had quit by then. They would know I guess if they were already talking to him. and he to Auburn



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinyhappyclone View Post
    Gene could have helped that reputation by, I don't know, maybe coaching some defense so we don't lose that Colorado game.

    We are the Herculian task of college football....let's don't kid ourselves. Hell, I could coach Florida State or Cal or South Florida to a bowl game. Who has more challenges: Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke, Washington State, Rutgers, or Nevada??

    We are what we are, and it will be that much sweeter when we do reach that promised land. I may not get there with you, but we will. Yes, things are rep is bad. We are mutts. Look: Bill Fennellys nose is cold. But there is nothing more loveable, more loyal than a mutt. Who cried when they saw Old Yeller?

    Anyway, it does not take CSI to see that there was an almost identifiable point where Gene quit on this team, and ironically, it coincides with Bates leaving. That crap after Kansas down in Baylor was an uncoached disaster. Auburn better hope that Gene had quit by then. They would know I guess if they were already talking to him. and he to Auburn
    Wait- Greek mythology, anthropomorphism, Old Yeller, and television drama?


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

  8. #8
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,318, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,990
    Points
    302,318
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 706

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    Wait- Greek mythology, anthropomorphism, Old Yeller, and television drama?
    That's a well-rounded poster.



  9. #9
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Shinyhappyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    538
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    Wait- Greek mythology, anthropomorphism, Old Yeller, and television drama?
    I am the Dennis Miller of Cyclone Nation I guess.
    Yeah, I am miffed too.



  10. #10
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinyhappyclone View Post
    Who has more challenges: Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke, Washington State, Rutgers, or Nevada??
    Washington HAS to have more challenges then us don't they??? Didn't they lose to Washington State?

    And btw....Northwestern went 9-3 this year...so I wish we had their problems...



  11. #11
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone2010 View Post
    Washington HAS to have more challenges then us don't they??? Didn't they lose to Washington State?

    And btw....Northwestern went 9-3 this year...so I wish we had their problems...

    Disagree about Washington. They have resources that ISU doesn't have...


    I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

  12. #12
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Disagree about Washington. They have resources that ISU doesn't have...
    What resources? We are in a better conference, and, surprisingly, had a better record then them this season!



  13. #13
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone2010 View Post
    What resources? We are in a better conference, and, surprisingly, had a better record then them this season!

    They have some big donors, better stadium (seats like 70k or so).

    They also have a better history:
    3 National Titles, 15 conference titles


    Washington would be a great school to coach.


    I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 93,875, Level: 95
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,175
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,650
    Points
    93,875
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 38

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    ISU's reputation is almost as bad as it gets in D1 football. I would say it's probably on par with Baylor or Indiana, although under Mac we had more recent success than both of those schools. We're probably a little higher than the Temple's and Buffalo's of the world, mainly due to our conference affiliation.

    I won't say that it's impossible to win consistently here, but it's VERY difficult. We just have more natural disadvantages than most schools. I think Danny Mac-type success is about as good as it gets. I say "about" because if you look at K-State, that program was right in the same boat as ISU prior to Snyder, so it can be done.

    The problem is finding a good enough coach that can win at ISU, who won't bolt the first chance he gets. I think Pollard has his work cut out for him.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,794
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State's Rep... That bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    They have some big donors, better stadium (seats like 70k or so).

    They also have a better history:
    3 National Titles, 15 conference titles

    Washington would be a great school to coach.
    You're right about Washington. They suck right now but it hasn't always been that way. Back when Don James was the coach in the 80's and 90's they had a long stretch of being more or less continuously in the top 20 and they went to 5 Rose Bowls in about a 10 or 11 year stretch. I've been to a game at Husky Stadium and it's pretty cool -- especially the docks on the lake which allow thousands of fans to arrive by boat and tailgate on their boats/docks. If you ever get a chance to go to a UW game, go.


    Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

    My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM