Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

Cory McIntosh/Dodie Dunson

Now usually I hate singling guys out for poor play, but I'm only doing it because I think Dodie would do better starting. I agree that McIntosh is a winner and he's older, but he is flat out struggling right now while Dodie is coming on strong. Here's Corey's line against UNI, Drake, and Iowa (basically, the only decent competition we've played)

21.3 mpg, 3-7 shooting, 0-1 from three, 10 points, 2 rebounds, 6 assists, 8 turnovers, one steal. He's not necessarily doing anything terrible, the problem is that he's not doing much of anything out there. He has a hard time driving and dishing, he's had a hard time scoring, he's even been struggling defensivly in comparison to Dunson.

Dodie over the last three games (against the best competition so far, and now that he's finally healthy) is:

26.3 mpg, 10-21 shooting, 7-10 from three, 29 points, 3 rebs, 4 assists, 2 turnovers, two steals. He's just playing better in every facet of the game right now, he's not turning the ball over, he's shooting a good percentage against decent competition, what's not to like here? He's also younger and has a great chance to establish a leadership role with all of the young guys coming in next year.

I am not trying to tell anybody how to do their job (because I've questioned McD several times now and always seen the light afterward) but in a season where it looks like we'll struggle anyway I don't know why we wouldn't want to get the youngest guys (aka the future of the program) in the game if they can benefit the squad by being on the floor. I just think it's time Dodie started seeing time with the first team.

Prospect
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Cory McIntosh/Dodie Dunson

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Now usually I hate singling guys out for poor play, but I'm only doing it because I think Dodie would do better starting. I agree that McIntosh is a winner and he's older, but he is flat out struggling right now while Dodie is coming on strong. Here's Corey's line against UNI, Drake, and Iowa (basically, the only decent competition we've played)

21.3 mpg, 3-7 shooting, 0-1 from three, 10 points, 2 rebounds, 6 assists, 8 turnovers, one steal. He's not necessarily doing anything terrible, the problem is that he's not doing much of anything out there. He has a hard time driving and dishing, he's had a hard time scoring, he's even been struggling defensivly in comparison to Dunson.

Dodie over the last three games (against the best competition so far, and now that he's finally healthy) is:

26.3 mpg, 10-21 shooting, 7-10 from three, 29 points, 3 rebs, 4 assists, 2 turnovers, two steals. He's just playing better in every facet of the game right now, he's not turning the ball over, he's shooting a good percentage against decent competition, what's not to like here? He's also younger and has a great chance to establish a leadership role with all of the young guys coming in next year.

I am not trying to tell anybody how to do their job (because I've questioned McD several times now and always seen the light afterward) but in a season where it looks like we'll struggle anyway I don't know why we wouldn't want to get the youngest guys (aka the future of the program) in the game if they can benefit the squad by being on the floor. I just think it's time Dodie started seeing time with the first team.
    One thing appears for certain besides these guys need coahcing / experience. They need to develope physically with brawn/muscle. Many times in the hawk game, our guys went to grab or recover the ball and got muscled out of position. A year of coaching under GMAC, experience and physical upgrading will give us a lot bigger winning percentage next yr.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 144

I agree completely. McIntosh is obviously having a hard time adjusting to D1 play and it will only continue to hurt us if he doesn't adapt. I think he'll come around but it clearly hasn't started yet.

Dodie, in my opinion, really has a lot of eagerness to learn everything he can and develop into a Big XII guard. I can't stop saying how impressed I am to see him talking to GMac and the rest of the staff at every possible second on the court. That will really develop into a starting role in my opinion. He will have some tough competition in the future so it's nice to see him eager to get a heads-up on the other.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 161

Bryce, it's difficult to argue with facts. I think it's time we see more of Dodie.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Gmac was recently asked why Dodie wasn't playing more point, and his response was something along the lines of "that might be overloading Dodie at this point." Now I'm not at practice so I don't see him everyday, but one of my good buddies is a manager who's there every day and he agrees with Gmac on this one.

It's obvious Dodie needs to get more minutes, but he IS just a freshman, and just because we think he should be at the point doesn't mean he's actually READY for that responsibilty. The best thing to happen to our team is for Cory McIntosh to step it up greatly and become at least a decent starting PG that can get our offense started.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

I only know one thing when it comes to being a coach, and that is from being in the crowd. I know the production = PT, simple as that.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's tough to come in as a freshman and play the point, so I wonder if GMac is trying to gradually work him in. I noticed he's actually played more minutes than McIntosh, but he may not want him starting yet until he gets more confident. All I know is I'm excited about the future of ISU basketball with the Johnsons and Dunson as freshman and a good recruiting class coming in next year.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The difference in the stat lines is decieving, because they are playing different possitions. When Dodie is on the floor he is playing the off-gaurd possition (usually with Taylor at the point), while McIntosh plays the point when on the court. I assume that Gmac is concerned that Dodie lacks the ball-handling and leadership to play the point, which has been by far our weakest possition this year. As the stats indicated, Dodie is already getting more playing time than McIntosh, and I think this is a trend that will continue as the season progresses and Dodie develops. In my most optimistic scenario Dodie can move to the point so that Taylor can play shooting gaurd, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that one.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

On tonight's call in show, GMac said to expect some line up changes for the next game. I bet Dodie starts.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post
    On tonight's call in show, GMac said to expect some line up changes for the next game. I bet Dodie starts.
    Dodie! Dodie! Dodie!

--Luck of the Cyrish--