Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 78

7-1 Another one bites the dust

Nice win for the sisters by 10 over Minnesota. I like the way the team does not have to rely on a star player to win, with several different players contributing on different nights. There is a high probability we can go 12-1 before Big 12 play begins.

Rookie
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 30

Re: 7-1 Another one bites the dust

Minnesota was 8-2 coming into the game and an upper division Big 10 team so another quality win by Bill, his staff and the twisted sisters. Tocarra Ross is hopefully our answer to the Paris twins at OU. Her and Rachel Pierson have to be the pleasant suprise of the season.

This game was on channel 4 in the DM market last night which is a puplic access station mostly showing real estate for sale. Flipping through the stations and came across the game in the second half to my great delight. Kudos to the advertisers that paid its way.

:) Want the stadium full? Bring a friend!

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

DSM Rag mention it was on mediacom but I couldn't find it.
    I don't have channel 4 programmed into my line-up, damn!
    Congrats to Bill and the girls!

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Minnesota started out the game being really rough and physical and it seemed to take the entire first half for ISU to adjust. The crowd was REALLY getting on the refs for some really questionable no calls.

I really liked how ISU looked in the second half, in control on offense and defense. Most of Minnesota's possessions took the entire shot clock to get any shots off.

LOOKING GOOD LADIES!

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

More than the win, the good news is the tendencies. We have balance like we haven't had since Welle left - and depth - we can put five fresh players on the court who can defend and who can score inside, outside or driving. We're learning to play together, an ongoing process as Rachel gets better and better. Toughness - we've had a tendency to be dismayed by rough play - especially when contact isn't called - the Minnesota game was the acid test to show we're dealing with that. Absent a breakdown, we won't lose again for a long time.

I didn't get to see the game and haven't listened to the archived broadcast yet - can anyone comment on Rachel and Nicky - their roles and expectations?

The only downside to December is our schedule is light - our opponents' triple digit rpi's will pull us down and maybe hurt us in the bracket. But, it is nice to be realistically hoping for a spot in the Dance.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 49

Job well done Twister Sisters! Sounds like the bench came on strong to deliver this win. I am having high hopes for this squad. Way to go.

Walk On
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    More than the win, the good news is the tendencies. We have balance like we haven't had since Welle left - and depth - we can put five fresh players on the court who can defend and who can score inside, outside or driving. We're learning to play together, an ongoing process as Rachel gets better and better. Toughness - we've had a tendency to be dismayed by rough play - especially when contact isn't called - the Minnesota game was the acid test to show we're dealing with that. Absent a breakdown, we won't lose again for a long time.

I didn't get to see the game and haven't listened to the archived broadcast yet - can anyone comment on Rachel and Nicky - their roles and expectations?

The only downside to December is our schedule is light - our opponents' triple digit rpi's will pull us down and maybe hurt us in the bracket. But, it is nice to be realistically hoping for a spot in the Dance.
    You hit the nail on the head BenEClone in the first paragraph.

I think Rachel has found her role - pound away on the low post. Nicky I think is more finesse and sometimes this season has found it difficult to find places to score. That said, I'm not worried about her - she's still scoring 10 a game.

On the RPI, St. Louis was TERRIBLE last year, but I think respectable this year. Illinois State is improved this year. I can't speak to the three teams in our tournament.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Pierson had her best game as a Cyclone. Really showed some strength as a low post player. Wieben in stronger than last year, but will never be as physical as Ross and Pierson. She is a terrific defender though, and is always in position for rebounds, more from instinct and athleticism, plus the fact that she is really long. Between the three, the low post is in fine shape. Amanda Nisleit did a nice job in the low post also. Allison Lacey is the first guard off the bench, and shows a lot of promise. She sees the floor well, and is a great three point threat, and the other frosh guard, Florzak shows a lot of confidence as well. Over all, this young team is progressing faster than the men. They do have one big advantage, excellent senior leadership from Medders and Ronhovde. I can see this team in the sweet sixteen in March, and many more.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post
    DSM Rag mention it was on mediacom but I couldn't find it.
    I don't have channel 4 programmed into my line-up, damn!
    Congrats to Bill and the girls!
    Spotted it on MediaCom Replay (in the Quad Cities) last night. You might try checking that out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

Any chance we can put any of the Sisters on the guys' team? At least they know how to shoot!

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post

That's a pretty good point. ESPECIALLY with the Big 12 being as strong as it is this year. Our women are good...and we're still *7th* in the Big 12 in the AP poll (with NINE teams getting votes), and not even recieving votes in the USA Today (with SEVEN Big 12 Teams recieving votes). Wow. Talk about the strength of Big 12 women's basketball. I know that as a conference we always whoop up, but this is kinda insane. We'll see what changes with this week's new polls.

We only play one game out of hilton in december, and that's at wells fargo. HOWEVER, come conference play, we're gonna have the chance to stack our rpi through the roof. We'll be playing, at least 4, maybe 5 or 6 ranked teams throughout the conference season, and some of them twice, and some of them away at difficult arenas. What an opportunity to use some of that great team play to really bear down on the upper half of the conference and flaunt a little muscle!! GooooOOOOOO CYCLONES!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 622
    Given: 390

Speaking of wins, the women are trying to win the Hy Vee Cup while it looks like the men are doing a good job of losing it. Our men are not as good as our ladies this year apparently.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.