Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    This team is a horrible call in Hawaii and a Petey three-pointer away from being 8-0. If we are 8-0 this entire nonsense about McDermott's coaching ability and the team's lack of killer instinct is an absolute non-factor. What has this team accomplished at this point:

    6-2
    Solid win against Wisconsin-Milwaukee at home.
    Solid win against Oregon State at home.
    Solid win at UNI in Overtime.

    Last year we lost to UNI at home this year we are able to get a road victory despite the fact we only made two three-pointers. We fought back after giving up a seven point lead in regulation.

    We lose to a Drake team that destroyed us last year by 35 points after being in control of the game for most of the second half.

    People lose sight of how far this program was down and that McDermott is not about a quick fix but rather people a program that can last.

    We have three Big 12 starters currently on our squad in Garrett, Staiger and Brackins. This trio is all soph.'s and should be around for another 2.5 years. We have decent role players in Petey and Alex Thompson but they should not be starters in the Big 12. However you look down that bench and you see Eick and Hamilton that can potentially be major contributors in the future. Add in the fact that Buckly and Colvin should substantially contribute in the next two years.

    My biggest problem with this team is their inability to close games out....Hawaii, UNI and Drake. However typically freshmen and soph laiden teams do not have killer instinct it is something they learn over time.

    My biggest problem with people who alledge that they are Cyclone fans on this website is that they act like teenagers and are extremely short-sighted.

    Being a Cyclone fan is like being in a marriage. For better or for worse. I don't need to hear that this team is terrible; nor do they. is losing frustrating...absolutely as a player, coach or fan. But these KIDS put more hours into conditioning, shooting and practicing in one week then most people exercise on this website in one year. They deserve better from us. Finally, people need to find a way to get to Hilton and support this team. If you are unwilling to support this team through your donations (Cyclone Club) or by showing up then you don't have any reason to *****.

    In closing, McDermott is the coach of your Cyclone basketball team. He is not about a quick fix (Floyd) or long-term instability (Eustachy) so deal with the fact there are going to be set backs along the way and let's see what this team can do this year and in the next couple of years.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 334,917, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,729
    Points
    334,917
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa


  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 145,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,704
    Points
    145,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    I have seen more reason for concern in some of our wins then I did the Drake game. Drake is a decent team, I knew a bunch of people would go nuts...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,374, Level: 82
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,076
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,935
    Points
    70,374
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 41

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by bauerzac View Post
    This team is a horrible call in Hawaii and a Petey three-pointer away from being 8-0. If we are 8-0 this entire nonsense about McDermott's coaching ability and the team's lack of killer instinct is an absolute non-factor. .
    Yeah, and IF Birds had Banjos up their butt, there would be music in the air.

    Last night I was at the sports bar, on the left was ISU/ UNI on the right was Texas vs Villanova. Flashing back and forth was like flashing bt. a high school game and the NBA playoffs.

    Iowa will beat us by 10 points.


    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

    -ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 112,943, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,744
    Points
    112,943
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 50

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I have seen more reason for concern in some of our wins then I did the Drake game. Drake is a decent team, I knew a bunch of people would go nuts...
    Drake has not looked good this year - their fans were not expecting a win last night. Also, they had a ton more open looks against our defense than they did against Butler.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 145,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,704
    Points
    145,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Drake has not looked good this year - their fans were not expecting a win last night. Also, they had a ton more open looks against our defense than they did against Butler.
    and UNI had a bunch of open looks too, they just didn't hit them...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,708, Level: 60
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    4,059
    Points
    38,708
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    As I have said before were not very good, be happy when we win any game, cysball20 was pretty much dead on about the Drake game...Unfortunately I feel a major letdown coming up against Iowa after the tough loss last night. That and Iowa is the better team. I think 4 non-conf. losses is still a reasonable goal.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,369, Level: 61
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 981
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,025
    Points
    39,369
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 16

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    i dont think iowa is that great. we play the games for a reason and maybe somethings will fall our way.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 178,649, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,629
    Points
    178,649
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 320

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepower View Post
    Unfortunately I feel a major letdown coming up against Iowa after the tough loss last night.
    I disagree. After a tough defeat they can only blame themselves for, I think the team rallies in Iowa City.

    That and Iowa is the better team. I think 4 non-conf. losses is still a reasonable goal.
    I'm curious as to how you think Iowa has the better team. the only real difference beween our beating UNI and them beating UNI is that they were playing at home.

    PG: Garrett > Peterson
    Post: Brackins > Tate
    Wing: Staiger = Kelly
    Post: Thompson < Gatens
    2G: Peterson = Davis
    Vanderbeken > Fuller
    Haluska > Bawinkel

    Which leaves Eikmeier missing out on the onset of his four year matchup with Tucker.

    Of course, the defensive matchups will probably have Peterson on Petersen, and Davis on DG, but that's beside the point.

    And I kinda like the idea of the likes of Gatens and Fuller trying to defend AT and JVB. This looks like a game.



  10. #10
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    johnsonjj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    878
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by bauerzac View Post
    People lose sight of how far this program was down and that McDermott is not about a quick fix but rather people a program that can last.

    We have three Big 12 starters currently on our squad in Garrett, Staiger and Brackins. This trio is all soph.'s and should be around for another 2.5 years. We have decent role players in Petey and Alex Thompson but they should not be starters in the Big 12. However you look down that bench and you see Eick and Hamilton that can potentially be major contributors in the future. Add in the fact that Buckly and Colvin should substantially contribute in the next two years.

    My biggest problem with this team is their inability to close games out....Hawaii, UNI and Drake. However typically freshmen and soph laiden teams do not have killer instinct it is something they learn over time.


    In closing, McDermott is the coach of your Cyclone basketball team. He is not about a quick fix (Floyd) or long-term instability (Eustachy) so deal with the fact there are going to be set backs along the way and let's see what this team can do this year and in the next couple of years.
    The quote in bold above is key. Our teams "stars" if you will are underclassmen and our role players are upperclassmen...not a recipe for consistency which is needed for success. As the team is rebuilt, we flip-flop those two and replenish, something we are not able to do yet.

    The "Killer instinct" is related to the same instinct that helps you "manufacture games when your aren't on". Why was LE able to win on the road in the big 12 when Orr and Floyd didn't as consistently? Because his teams could do the "mature/ugly" things like rebound, play good D and "manufacture points" when the first options in the offense were off. By manufacture points, I mean when the three ball doesn't fall and/or CB isn't dominating in the post, who can put it on the floor, hopefully finish and/or get to the free throw line? This team does not consistently have that mature aspect yet. That is how we pulled out the UNI game at the end and in OT. That is also how this team is going to have to learn to win this year too. I look forward to seeing growth all season. If they don't show they are learning that as the season progresses, then is the time to get concerned longer term.


    Last edited by johnsonjj; 12-10-2008 at 12:19 PM.

  11. #11
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,848, Level: 22
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    aweb84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    St Louis Park, MN
    Posts
    230
    Points
    5,848
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    And I kinda like the idea of the likes of Gatens and Fuller trying to defend AT and JVB. This looks like a game.
    Iowa will probably play a zone against us ....



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 22,781, Level: 46
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CY ST8T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,553
    Points
    22,781
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    People do not go on and on about this coaching staff just to meltdown for no reason. The reason people are talking their concerns are because we see that the supposed good games that we have won so far are against poor teams and when we actually play good teams in the Big XII and such some of these things we are talking about are exploited. This is not the same Drake team that beat us by 35. Did you see Emenecker, Korver or any of the other talented players I am forgetting? It wasn't Bucky Cox and Josh Young alone that pulled that off last year. And yes we were a team in horrible shape last year. There is no reason that we should not be allowed to question the coaching.


    ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!


    Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 178,649, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,629
    Points
    178,649
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 320

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    People do not go on and on about this coaching staff just to meltdown for no reason.
    Just curious, did you miss the whole "On to Iowa" part? There are still plenty of other "Beat a Dead Horse" threads still out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by aweb84 View Post
    Iowa will probably play a zone against us ....
    I hope so. But I'm not sure how long it'll last, if Lucca is hitting like he was, and someone else steps up a little.



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,848, Level: 22
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    aweb84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    St Louis Park, MN
    Posts
    230
    Points
    5,848
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    I don't think living and dying by the 3 is such a good idea.
    If Iowa plays zone like drake did they will make brackins catch it too far out and he won't get those needed points in the paint.
    I agree if they play man and we feed it into Brackins we have a very good chance.



  15. #15
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    580
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Enough is Enough...moving on to Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I disagree. After a tough defeat they can only blame themselves for, I think the team rallies in Iowa City.


    I'm curious as to how you think Iowa has the better team. the only real difference beween our beating UNI and them beating UNI is that they were playing at home.

    PG: Garrett > Peterson
    Post: Brackins > Tate
    Wing: Staiger = Kelly
    Post: Thompson < Gatens
    2G: Peterson = Davis
    Vanderbeken > Fuller
    Haluska > Bawinkel

    Which leaves Eikmeier missing out on the onset of his four year matchup with Tucker.

    Of course, the defensive matchups will probably have Peterson on Petersen, and Davis on DG, but that's beside the point.

    And I kinda like the idea of the likes of Gatens and Fuller trying to defend AT and JVB. This looks like a game.
    Garrett is better at getting to the bucket than Peterson, that's about it.
    Brackins is better than Tate on the offensive end only.
    Staiger and Kelly are nothing alike, but it's tough to give one an edge with Lucca's inconsistency.
    Davis is a much better defender than Petey (who has gotten a lot better) and has been shooting the ball really well recently.
    Vanderbeken is not good. He does not get the nod.
    Bawinkel is a far superior 3 point shooter compared to Haluska (who is the probably better player).



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM