Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 10

What I think is fixable

I just have a few thoughts on what I hope to see fixed (and is fixable) over the year to get us more competetive.

- Make some entry passes in to the post.

- Make some good cuts to the hoop. Very little cutting only wild early possession drives.

- Be more patient on offense. Stop jacking threes so early.

- Defend your man on the peremiter and stopped getting burnt.

- Make better passes.

The lack of passes in to the post (not that anyone posts up) bothers me the most. Someone's gotta step up and start banging inside.

Fanatic #25

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: What I think is fixable

Something I constantly noticed during the Iowa game was that we were running our offense from 10 feet behind the three point line. What the hell are we going to do out there? What we did do was dribble excessively until we turned the ball over. To be honest I expected some more dicipline and movement out of a McDermott offense.

Recruit
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would also add - move without the ball and set better screens. I see way to much standing around on offense, and we need to stop the matador approach to setting picks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    To be honest I expected some more dicipline and movement out of a McDermott offense.
    So did I. And I still do, it's just gonna take awhile the players to buy in. That's the cold hard truth. Gmac's teaching them the bare minimum.. and they're struggling even with that. It's just gonna take awhile. Once it comes though, and it will come, we'll all be elated.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 796
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Yeah. The amount of time McDermott has had with these guys is incredibly small as it is. This stuff simply needs a lot more time.

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I didn't expect a Gmac teams offense to consist of continually launching 3's. We don't have the shooters for that. I also realize that we don't have the bigs to post up. What options does he really have? Which gets to my biggest concern, Brackins coming in as a freshmen and Alex Thompson, replace Gray for size. This is asking a lot of Brackins and although I have heard great things about Alex, I will stick with the wait and see approach. What happens when Thompson, Marsden and Hubalek all graduate? It looks like we are filling up with guards. Hopefully Gmac will land somemore good bigs soon. I also think with the athleticism on this team that we would play better man to man defense. I knew we would have trouble defending the post with our lack of bulk, but we looked bad everywhere against Iowa. How many easy baskets did they get and how many did we get? I was glad to see Morgan and the zone gone. When I played in high school and you did the stupid things we are all seeing you were pulled immediately. I also realize there isn't a lot of people to insert, but I would like to see some more guys sitting and hopefully learning from there mistakes.

I am glad that I got that off my chest. Now it is time to except my punishment. I will start by saying that I don't know more then Gmac, so you can leave that one alone. I also now this is a young team put together at the last minute, with the only one really returning was Clark. What happened to him? I really expected his ball handling to improve. Most have got most of his points from the press defense and threes, I guess.

I do honestly believe as most of you do the Gmac will get this straightened out. I just keep looking for the bright spots. Wesly Johnson will be great.

Did anyone expect more from the California Juco of the year?

Recruit
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I have the feeling that GMAC will find a diamond in the rough for the inside that everyone will say why did we get this guy. And the next Homan will appear. Someone that is coachable with the physical attributes to be the man in the middle.

Robert C Larson

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

" I didn't expect a Gmac teams offense to consist of continually launching 3's. We don't have the shooters for that. I also realize that we don't have the bigs to post up. What options does he really have? Which gets to my biggest concern, Brackins coming in as a freshmen and Alex Thompson, replace Gray for size. This is asking a lot of Brackins and although I have heard great things about Alex, I will stick with the wait and see approach. What happens when Thompson, Marsden and Hubalek all graduate? It looks like we are filling up with guards. Hopefully Gmac will land somemore good bigs soon. I also think with the athleticism on this team that we would play better man to man defense. I knew we would have trouble defending the post with our lack of bulk "

IMO, you hit the button with the word "bulk." As you said, we have none and you are right. I think we'll see more size (bulk) in the years ahead potentially with some guys like Thompson, C Johnson, Marsden, and maybe even W Johnson (he's got a nice set of shoulders on him --- and looks pretty muscular, albeit a bit thin being a growing freshman and all). No, I don't expect Wes to be "Grant Stout-like" but I wouldn't be shocked to see one of the other guys to bulk up ... as a once skinny Stout did.

btw ... GMAC has always (at UNI anyway) seemed to have a "big/bulky" kid in the post (Stout, Schneiderman, etc) that has played a HUGE & effective part in his scheme. Obviously, we have NOBODY else close to that mold this year, but I'm thinking we will in a year or two. We desperately need it !

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I believe GMac is recruiting Negedu, Pomlee, and Berggren for the class of 2008. All are bulky post players, and all have ISU in their top 3-5. What more do you want?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    Yeah. The amount of time McDermott has had with these guys is incredibly small as it is. This stuff simply needs a lot more time.
    For this year we have two more weeks to goof up. Then it is onto the next season if they do not get it by then.

I do not see Hilton Magic in this team yet.

If we could fix 2/3rds of those things in the original post at the top, it would look better. However, we rebound poorly outside of two people, we defend soft, we dribble haphazardly, we do not catch simple passes, we telegraph our passes, we steal little, we assist little, we shoot anemically, we shoot too many threes because we cannot work a play, we start slow in games, and we are lightweights.

Mike Taylor and Rashon have the most spirit followed by Dodie.

What do we do well? Checking in at the scorer's table? Our uniforms look good.

This is not a McD or WM team from what I have seen.

Last year we almost beat OSU. Not a prayer this year. If we win, I will eat shoe leather.

I had no idea we would play so poorly as a team. If Mike had not had three great games, we would be 3-6. Hey, we did win the two exhibition games. That is a highlight.

Personally I would like to see our 3 bigs foul out. That would say they were at least contesting the plays.

We just need to hang in there for ten more games to see if we can improve from our first game.

I do not expect anything at this point from the California Juco of the Year. He is doing the best he can.

Last edited by Wesley; 12-10-2006 at 05:02 PM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 107

## NAME GP-GS Min FG% 3PT% FT% R/G A/G STL BLK PTS/G

24 Taylor, Mike........ 9-9 32.2 .374 .421 .759 3.9 4.8 12 1 16.0
    4 Johnson, Wesley..... 9-9 29.3 .500 .176 .724 7.2 0.8 6 15 11.8
    33 Hubalek, Jiri....... 3-1 23.7 .313 .500 .571 6.3 0.0 0 4 9.3
    13 Clark, Rahshon...... 9-9 32.3 .365 .265 .591 9.1 1.6 11 7 8.4
    25 Gray, Jessan........ 9-2 19.0 .529 .455 .667 4.3 0.6 3 8 7.2
    31 Johnson, Cory....... 8-0 12.4 .560 .500 .692 2.8 0.5 4 2 5.9
    3 McIntosh, Corey..... 9-9 24.8 .412 .250 .773 1.8 2.4 7 0 5.2
    1 Dunson, Dodie....... 9-0 20.4 .368 .409 .875 1.8 1.2 4 1 4.9
    40 Marsden, Ross....... 6-6 14.8 .800 1.000 .250 2.2 0.5 1 0 3.0

Marsden is our best shooter, then Cory, then Jessan, then Wesley, then Corey. Worst shoooter is Jiri. Two people average double figures.

Last edited by Wesley; 12-10-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.