Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Exclamation Heisman, best player or most valuable

i wish i could put a poll up, but i think it should be the best player in the country. Not just the quarterback on the best team in the country. some people think it should be the most valuable player which is usually not the best player like eric crouch, jason white, ron dayne who can barely be able to make the nfl. i think the heisman trophy winner should be able to make an nfl roster. Players like carson palmer who are pro-bowl caiber players are the type of player who should be recieving the award

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 256

Re: Heisman, best player or most valuable

Its not even best player to be honest. It really is best OFFENSIVE skill player. Look in the past and try to find any O-D lineman who one it, or defensive players who weren't returners.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Albert P. It is the best player on the best team.

Not my opinion, just what the media has built up.

When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

wooden for michigan was the last defensive player who one it and leon hart or someone from Notre Dame is the last off. or def. lineman to win the heismen.

Ryan Galles

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Actually, I think it has become the player that ESPN/ABC hypes the most. They had defacto "awarded" Smith the Heisman at least a month ago on all of their shows (Gameday, etc.). Then they have the stones to try to create some level of suspense about the actual awarding of the trophy last night on their show...what a joke!

Darren McFadden was, without a doubt, the most dominant offensive player in the country this year (not to mention the most valuable to his team). Many in the SEC are comparing his dominance to the likes of Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson.

He is so dominating that Arkansas basically lined him up and direct snapped to him like a high school team...except he is playing in the SEC against the best top-to-bottom league in America! It's too bad that he was hurt and did not play against USC the first game and that he got nicked and was nowhere near 100% against Florida in the SEC Championship.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    Actually, I think it has become the player that ESPN/ABC hypes the most. They had defacto "awarded" Smith the Heisman at least a month ago on all of their shows (Gameday, etc.). Then they have the stones to try to create some level of suspense about the actual awarding of the trophy last night on their show...what a joke!
    I agree with this. ESPN does this with alot of things. ESPN has essentially created a buzz around the sports world that BCS sucks and a playoff system is the only thing that makes any sense. I'm not saying that a playoff system wouldn't be better, but if you watch ESPN it's already a forgone conclusion. Herbstreit is the only one that will sometimes defend the BCS for the excitement that it means to individuial games like USC vs. UCLA this year. But then Chris Fowler (the supposed play-by-play man and MC) says something against it and says "OK Herbstreit defend that, you love the system. Why is that?"

I think ESPN thinks a playoff system with several BIG games could be very beneficial to them if they were able to gain the rights to many of them as they have with bowl games. That is all.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think a common misperception the media has is that a playoff system would be the end-all of any controversies. Which just isn't the case. An example would be this year's D1AA playoffs and leaving San Diego out. If that was D1 that probably would have been a huge story and controversy. Everybody says look how March Madness is, yeah it's great but every year there are one or two teams who didn't make it that have a legitimate argument that they should have. Even if you have a playoff there will still be questions, people will still complain, and everything will not be solved.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

According to Heisman.com, the award is given out to "the most outstanding college football player" which does not mean "the best player in the country"

I think that Troy Smith was very deserving of this award. Is that to say that he was the BEST player in college football? No. I think that honor goes to Darren McFadden. But if someone asked me, "Who is the most outstanding college football player?" I would answer Troy Smith. He led an Ohio State team that finished the season undefeated and is playing for the national championship, and displayed incredible ability in college football. It doesn't matter that he may not make it in the NFL, because the award honors COLLEGE football players, not NFL players. Look through the list of past winners. There are a lot of guys on that list that couldn't hack it in the NFL, but that doesn't matter, because for one autumn, they were "the most outstanding college football player" in the country.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 668
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is actually supposed to be awarded to the most OUTSTANDING player. That is why I find it odd that somebody like Dwayne Jarrett didn't get any consideration.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post

Darren McFadden was, without a doubt, the most dominant offensive player in the country this year (not to mention the most valuable to his team). Many in the SEC are comparing his dominance to the likes of Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson.

He is so dominating that Arkansas basically lined him up and direct snapped to him like a high school team...except he is playing in the SEC against the best top-to-bottom league in America! It's too bad that he was hurt and did not play against USC the first game and that he got nicked and was nowhere near 100% against Florida in the SEC Championship.
    Don't worry, Troy Smith won't amount to squat in the nfl, while McFadden will be a star and Brady Quinn, even though I really dislike him, will be a starter. Let Ohio State and Troy Smith savor the flavor for now because this year is the end of the line for Troy Smith. Just like in most past heisman winners, the winner won't amount to much, while the ones who came up short, will be NFL stars.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One example of this issue that I always look back on was Eric Crouch. Good player, great speed and tough kid. But he played in a system that catered to him and he had a bunch of mastadons for an offensive line. he looked quite human vs. the U in the Rose Bowl. If I recall, Randle El was a senior the same year at Indiana, and that guy was just a freak, but he played for Indiana and they quite honestly stunk overall as a team. But it just seems that once the media locks in on a guy like a Crouch or Troy Smith it's almost a foregone conclusion. The media will show the one big play over and over (Crouch vs. Missouri, T. Smith vs. Penn state).

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like it that the Heisman isn't given to the guy with the most pro potential, let that go to the number 1 pick in the draft, if he fits their needs, see Mario Williams. I like it that Troy Smith and Eric Crouch can get recognized in college for what they do. Sure they are products of their systems, but hey, those systems work. The NFL is a different world, with all sorts of crazy schemes. Look at Vick, freak athlete who is riddled with the burden of being a drop back passer and running the west coast offense. I love it that college kids can be atheletes and make throws and runs, and just love playing the game.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think Smith or McFadden would have deserved the award, but Quinn isn't the best player in the country, he is good, but doesn't deserve consideration with those guys. Good point about not having to have NFL talent, cuz often college talent doesn't transfer over to NFL, it is a completely different game, great college players can't always change their style over like Crouch, Pat White is a good talent but is a runner and would struggle in the NFL, many mobile QB's in college have a hard time making it, but are awesome college football players, who cares if they can't make the NFL! The NFL sort of sucks, too much of the same offense!

Big Shawn, Super Clone!