Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 36
    Ben Roethlisberger has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident where he hit a Chrysler New Yorker head on. He apparently was not wearing a helmet and has serious head injuries.

Assuming that he recovers, he will most likely miss at least part of the upcoming season. What do you think about professional athletes that engage in risky behaviors off the field? Should teams be able to dictate to their players what they can and can not do?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162
    from the tribune review...not good

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said. Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said. 2:34 pm

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 0
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ISUFan22 &#064; Jun 12 2006, 02&#58;03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> from the tribune review...not good

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said. Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said. 2:34 pm [/b][/quote]

I was honestly a little sickened when I heard this, because I really like Big Ben and I thought that a dynamic young star is very good for the league. I truthfully hope he ends up alright and that he can play football again. I have no doubt that he&#39;ll be ok, but sometimes people are never the same after accidents like this.

As far as riding motorcycles and stuff goes, if he misses any time I doubt he&#39;ll get paid for it. Most teams have clauses in contracts that prohibit players from engaging in "risky" behavior and if they get hurt doing it the team owes them no money.

All of that being said, one of the riskiest things people can do is step on a football field and have behemoths that can run with 4.4 speed plow into you. I think it&#39;s a little out of line for teams to fully endorse that, but then say, oh no, you can&#39;t ride a motorcycle on a summer day.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162
    Retired halfback Jerome Bettis, in California today, was keeping in touch with some people in the organization and said the reports he&#39;s received are that Roethlisberger will be fine.

"First, it&#39;s good to see he&#39;s not in bad shape, as a friend, and to make sure he&#39;s OK," said Bettis. "Another good thing is it is minor enough that it shouldn&#39;t affect him on the field this fall."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06163/697655-100.stm

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I believe teams have enough say in there lives already. I understand when they sign them on that contract it doesnt mention them getting paid for being injured for off the field reasons. But you know its a part of life as the saying goes Sh&#33;t Happens.....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 301
    Didn&#39;t he have a jaw oproblem about a year ago. Not good for a qb to have his jaw wired shut. Looks like they will be looking for an additional qb also. TYoo bad McNair was traded. Maybe they might go after Sage Rosenfels of Houston as a backup....Charlie Batch will need some help.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.