4. I think this is what I know about the plans for the new United Football League, scheduled to begin play in September on Thursday and Friday nights in, most likely, six markets:
· Two of the possible six franchises still need owners, and in these tough times, that has to be worrisome.
· If Jim Fassel
doesn't have an NFL job by February, the UFL wants to hire him to coach the New York franchise. At $1.5 million or $2 million for the season, Fassel could do worse.
· The week after the NFL season ends in February, the league will hold an online poll of fans, asking if they think the league should pursue Michael Vick
to play for one of its teams in 2009. If the vote is yes, the UFL will try to sign Vick to play -- presumably while he is under suspension for a year by the NFL after leaving prison on his dogfighting conviction.
· Field goals of 50 yards and longer will count for four points.
· There will be XFL-like locker-room and on-field cameras.
· There will be a female referee.