Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Thumbs down POOR COACHING

Spin the Iowa game whichever way you want. I've heard it all. New program, new system, freshman, lack of experience, it's early with a new coaching staff, he needs to get his own players, blah, blah, blah. I've followed ISU basketball for over 30 years and have seen a lot of crappy BB, but that was pathetic!!! Morgan's teams played much better defense. Orr, Floyd and LE would have never let this happen!! What's wrong with a zone early on when Iowa is doing nothing but dunks and lay ups? Oh, by the way, Iowa is terrible also. That's two games in row now of awful defense. I thought we hired a coach that put a more organized team on the floor. The offense stunk also. I'm really disappointed with McDermott. I guess I'm supposed to be patient. With the coach making big time money, and the Big 12 around the corner, I'm finding that hard to do.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: POOR COACHING

Complain all you want, this season is just going to be a rough rebuilding year. All of those things you consider to be spin...are actually facts of where the program is at right now, and that state of the program is going to get much better in the next couple of years. And no, Morgan's teams didn't have much better defense and rebounding and effort than this team. At least not last season or anywhere in the near future if he was still our coach.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

While I am also frustrated as many of the problems are very correctable and are a result of the staff either electing to do or not do something, I believe that GMac knows more then we do and has his reasons for what he is doing / not doing.

GMac has shown he can put a winning team on the floor so I have to believe and hope that in time we will see a good to great team in Ames again. However, I agree as you make an excellent point that all the spin is pretty sad. The new program, new players, lack of his type of players, lack of experience, blah, blah, blah, is not a legitimate reason for many of the problems we saw against Iowa tonight, just an easily thrown out excuse.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Fire McDermott!

Workin' hard for the negative rep level I see...

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

It's unfortunate that one should have to work for either positive or negative rep levels. Seems making comments based on getting rep points makes for bad discussion and lack of independent thinking.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Do you think that Hubalek shooting 3's was part of Mac's plan? Was Grey getting burned repeatedly part of our defense?

The coach can't play the game, he can only prepare players for it. If they don't listen to him (risky passes, 1 on 2 situations, blown defense, poor shot decisions, etc.) then there is only so much he can do. It was clear that Mac was frustrated for most of the game. The lack of experience is killing us.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,555
    Given: 746

Quote Originally Posted by acody View Post
    Spin the Iowa game whichever way you want. I've heard it all. New program, new system, freshman, lack of experience, it's early with a new coaching staff, he needs to get his own players, blah, blah, blah. I've followed ISU basketball for over 30 years and have seen a lot of crappy BB, but that was pathetic!!! Morgan's teams played much better defense. Orr, Floyd and LE would have never let this happen!! What's wrong with a zone early on when Iowa is doing nothing but dunks and lay ups? Oh, by the way, Iowa is terrible also. That's two games in row now of awful defense. I thought we hired a coach that put a more organized team on the floor. The offense stunk also. I'm really disappointed with McDermott. I guess I'm supposed to be patient. With the coach making big time money, and the Big 12 around the corner, I'm finding that hard to do.
    No negative rep points for you......I'm just hoping that you recover your senses. Good luck with that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,012
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 46

I don't think it was due to poor coaching, just poor floor leadership. We don't have a PG worth a damn and it shows. McIntosh rarely touches the ball even when he's on the floor and Taylor is no PG. Stinson or Blalock would at least take leadership and they definetly wouldn't have been bullied by Iowa's guards. This is a throw away year until we get a decent PG.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

i would have to agree with him. I do understand and feel for the team with being young and all, but Iowa is just as young, granted there coaching staff has been there, but we just got thumped. No other way to put it. I hate to see what Ohio State with Greg Oden is going to do to our defense.

Ryan Galles

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by burn587 View Post
    I don't think it was due to poor coaching, just poor floor leadership. We don't have a PG worth a damn and it shows. McIntosh rarely touches the ball even when he's on the floor and Taylor is no PG. Stinson or Blalock would at least take leadership and they definetly wouldn't have been bullied by Iowa's guards. This is a throw away year until we get a decent PG.

Yeah, the offensive potency of Blalock and Stinson helped to offset last year's ridiculously awful defense. However, we don't have that this year, at all.

aw, damnit, they just showed a top ten play from the game and you can guess which team it was for. Bleh.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I was at the game this evening. The bottom line is that we DO NOT have a point guard that we can rely on to settle us down offensively. Our gaurds turn the ball over far too often but some of the decisions that they make on the offensive end are as costly as turnovers. I am not worried about our coaching staff, ultimately it comes down to the players making wise basketball decisions. Unfortunately thay are not making the best decisions right now. Be patient and give it time. If we can ever get into a flow offensively, the defense will also get better. But we need a PG to step up and take control of the team on both ends.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acody View Post
    I partially agree with him too. This was the first game I watched on TV this season and I was completely disappointed, not with the loss, but with the way we played.
    Mike "Mr. 1 vs 5 aka Human Turnover Machine" Taylor is as a very bad pointguard. His play yesterday was horrendous!! Why didnt GMac sit him on the bench more? The kid has to learn that he can't play that way. He's basically being Stinson, the problem is that he has half Stinson's talent.
    I didn't like Hubalek last year and I dislike the guy even more this year. He needs to realize that we need him down low, not shooting jumpers!! Again, the coach needs to do something about this.
    Rashon Clark, did he even play?! What happened with this guy? We sorely lack his energy and enthusiasm.
    The new guys, I liked Wesley and Cory Johnson, and Dunson too, but they still have to develop.
    My last negative comment to GMac was defense. I would very much like to see a zone implemented and have it as an option that can be used at any time. Iowa is a bad basketball team and they killed us inside, with a lot of dunks and open looks. No help defense for the most part. A zone would help disguise someof these defensive shortcomings, at least in these initial games.
    I hope the future will look brighter, but I also hope we recruit some beefy guys to play the post. We won't go anywhere with twigs playing the post. This season, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're gonna lose big in Big 12 play.

Prospect
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

lol, 8 games into new basketball era and you guys want to throw Gmac under a bus. Unbeleivable.....................................No wait, i beleive it. Talk about a bunch of cry babies with 0 patience. You guys were dreaming if you thought Gmac would walk in here, change the system to his, bring mostly all new players late in a recruiting season, start winning and look good doing it.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Zone will not work with Taylor and McIntosh defending. They won't stay in front of their man, so both of them would have a contest to see who could give up the most dribble penetration.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Wait till the Big 12 starts ....... Everyone better start drinking ... no one fault this team needs lots of time.... GMac will get it done!!