Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Loss to the Hawks but I feel....

strangely good. Wow times have changed. It use to be when we lost to Iowa I was not a very pleasant person to be around for a day or two. Tonight we got beat soundly and I am relaxed. Don't get me wrong I still don't like losing to anyone yet alone the Hawks. I realized after the game that I expect that we will win most of the games in the coming years as GMac gets things rolling and really tonight is an aberation in the GMac era at ISU. Funny thing is I am feeling the same way about football. I don't really expect to beat Iowa next year, but I don't feel like we have to win or we will miss our chance. We will have more than our share of wins over the coming years as our two new coaches get things rolling.

I kind of like this new perspective. (I think my wife likes me better too...could be some benefits in that )

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

Re: Loss to the Hawks but I feel....

I think we all came into this season hoping for the best but understanding that there would be some major growing pains. So I'll chant my Cub's mantra, "Wait until next year." and enjoy any and all wins and highlights that this season can produce but I won't get my hopes up until next fall.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I'm the same way, JClone...this loss sucks but is much easier to take than in the past. I hate it when commentators use the overused term "upside" to describe a player, but that is a word that's appropriate for this team and program. I have gone on record saying that this is the last loss for us against the Hawks for the next five years, so that thought brings me much comfort.

This loss is all part of the process of becoming great again.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 20

Yeah, usually a loss like this would chew at me all weekend, but I'm hardly even thinking about it even right now.

Young team, new schemes.....6-3 at this point isn't that bad. It will be a long season but McDermott needs time.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

Agree...same here. Didn't expect to win this one.

I was pretty upset with how we played, though. Most of the turnovers had very little to do with Iowa's defense and a lot to do with really poor decisions.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Ball security was the worst that I have seen in a long time. This saddens me. Jokingly... I wonder if Morgan watches the games and thinks "Why did they fire me?"

I don't think lack of ball security and basic fundamentals like passing should be acceptable at this point in the season. All these guys have played basketball for many, many years. Coaching has some responsibility here in either offering scholarships to players who lack the very basic fundamentals or the inability to teach and enforce the very basic fundamentals to players who they recruited who lacked them.

I still think GMac will turn the ship around, but I think he is behind schedule, not by losing, but by the way his club is losing. Losing is expected, this type of play is not.

GMac needs to pull out Rocky 3 in practice this week and start over from scratch. Start with basic running and dribbling techniques and then get into explaining the different positions... guard, forward, center.

This goes down as one of the worst executed games that I have seen in the last 3-4 years. This one would rival Morgan's worst coached and executed game.

Could you imagine if Bobby Knight was our coach tonight. We would have seen not a chair, but probably a player thrown across the floor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I'd still be thrilled to get to the NIT for some more practice time. Would 13 wins get us there? I know that seems like asking a lot right now...

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    Ball security was the worst that I have seen in a long time. This saddens me. Jokingly... I wonder if Morgan watches the games and thinks "Why did they fire me?"

I don't think lack of ball security and basic fundamentals like passing should be acceptable at this point in the season. All these guys have played basketball for many, many years. Coaching has some responsibility here in either offering scholarships to players who lack the very basic fundamentals or the inability to teach and enforce the very basic fundamentals to players who they recruited who lacked them.

I still think GMac will turn the ship around, but I think he is behind schedule, not by losing, but by the way his club is losing. Losing is expected, this type of play is not.

GMac needs to pull out Rocky 3 in practice this week and start over from scratch. Start with basic running and dribbling techniques and then get into explaining the different positions... guard, forward, center.

This goes down as one of the worst executed games that I have seen in the last 3-4 years. This one would rival Morgan's worst coached and executed game.

Could you imagine if Bobby Knight was our coach tonight. We would have seen not a chair, but probably a player thrown across the floor.
    I have to agree. Very sloppy game. Too sloppy.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I thought the guys played horrible and I feel horrible. Can you imagine what our games are going to look like against Kansas, OkSt, A&M, or Texas? Yikes! I am glad that I never have to see Haluska again, it seems like he has been around forever!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by zdorr40 View Post
    I'd still be thrilled to get to the NIT for some more practice time. Would 13 wins get us there? I know that seems like asking a lot right now...
    Pretty sure you have to be above .500 to make the NIT.

13 wins won't cut it.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rock View Post
    Pretty sure you have to be above .500 to make the NIT.

13 wins won't cut it.
    I thought the same thing...looked it up and found this:

"But in a phone interview with The Daily Collegian, NIT president Greg Shaheen said the old ".500 rule" was a common misconception -- it never existed in the first place.
    "As we researched it, we found it was just a rumor," he said. "In all the paperwork I've seen, there hasn't been a .500 rule."

Still, though, I don't think 13 wins cuts it unless you have a bunch of big wins at the end of the season or something.

Last edited by isucyfan; 12-08-2006 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post

Na, this this not on Gmac fellas. It really isn't. You can truly see how hard he has it out there...

He put together a "roster" last April with a mix of JUCO's, random frosh, and the few that stayed from the Wayne era. These guys just arn't buying in, plain and simple. Gmac didn't have anyone else to recruit. There was no one else out there that would come here when he got the job. This isn't really "his" team yet.

He's not behind schedule. Our expectation of where we should be is too far ahead of schedule (if that even makes sense... maybe I need a few more beers)

Gmac, bar none, is the right guy for us. Give it time, it sucks now, but give...it...time. Please.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I know, I know... Like I said, the first six gave me hope for a better than expected year.

Here's a question for you all: Do you think GMac will end up being a better coach than LE? More offensive structure and more hard nosed defense?

That oughtta still the pot :)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Running the risk of being blasphemous...I thought LE was a good, not great, coach. I am much more of a Tim Floyd guy. I think McD will be a very solid coach that succeeds if he gets the type of players that fit his system. He had to cobble together this team, and that is now showing.

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree, GMAC is doing the best he can with the resouces available to him. I feel great about the future.