Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Is this still football?!@#$%##@

Over the past couple years it seems the officials have become more and more a hinderance in the ability of the players...to actually play the game. Apparently, now defenders have to go through a checklist on the fly of ways they are not allowed to tackle.

1. Not supposed to lead with helmet. (so you're supposed to lean back when you tackle somebody?)
    2. Not allowed to grab the top of the jersey behind the runner. (horsecollar rule)
    3. If a guy steps out of bounds you are supposed to immediately put on the breaks, while knowing the exact point that they went out of bounds so as to avoid a late hit penalty.
    4. No hands to the face, or no facemasking.
    5. Mysterious rule enforced against Justin Tuck, where he was penalized for hitting the qb hard....not sure what defenders should do in preparations to avoid such a call.
    6. No helmet to helmet contact is allowed.
    7. No late hits.....better make sure to use caution when nearing a receiver...if the pass floats incomplete, you better not hit him after the fact...or you will be penalized.

There is probably more I am forgetting, but this is all I can think of at this point. Sometimes it feels like I am watching a glorified flag football game, as the players are so worried about incurring penalties that they can not really fully compete. Anyone else bothered by this trend? Ughhhhh!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 2

Re: Is this still football?!@#$%##@

As I said a couple of weeks ago ref's badly need to take physics classes

Recruit
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Over the past couple years it seems the officials have become more and more a hinderance in the ability of the players...to actually play the game. Apparently, now defenders have to go through a checklist on the fly of ways they are not allowed to tackle.

1. Not supposed to lead with helmet. (so you're supposed to lean back when you tackle somebody?)
    2. Not allowed to grab the top of the jersey behind the runner. (horsecollar rule)
    3. If a guy steps out of bounds you are supposed to immediately put on the breaks, while knowing the exact point that they went out of bounds so as to avoid a late hit penalty.
    5. Mysterious rule enforced against Justin Tuck, where he was penalized for hitting the qb hard....not sure what defenders should do in preparations to avoid such a call.
    7. No late hits.....better make sure to use caution when nearing a receiver...if the pass floats incomplete, you better not hit him after the fact...or you will be penalized.

There is probably more I am forgetting, but this is all I can think of at this point. Sometimes it feels like I am watching a glorified flag football game, as the players are so worried about incurring penalties that they can not really fully compete. Anyone else bothered by this trend? Ughhhhh!!!
    This has to be the most ignorant post I have ever seen. The speed, size, and strength of the players has made the game more violent than it ever has been. These rules are to protect student athletes. You remind me of the guy in the stands that is always yelling "break their necks!"

Last edited by Sioux_Per_Cy; 12-06-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling

"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
    -Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux_Per_Cy View Post
    This has to be the most ignorant post I have ever seen. The speed, size, and strength of the players has made the game more violent than it ever has been. These rules are to protect student athletes. You remind me of the guy in the stands that is always yelling "break their necks!"
    Why don't you make real counter arguments to the points I am making vs. being totally disrespectful in your post. I had to laugh pretty hard at that last comment.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 345

They need to pick refs who can keep up with the faster speed of the game. I am seeing them run into and falling down more and more.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 232

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    They need to pick refs who can keep up with the faster speed of the game. I am seeing them run into and falling down more and more.
    Yep, exactly. 60 year old guys are not going to be able to keep up with world-class athletes. Sorry.

And yes, they have softened the game entirely too much. It is football. The hit in the CU game by ISU where they flagged us and finally picked it up was horrible. Never should have been flagged. It is still football.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

Yeah and they have no contact sports like soccer for people like you.... They know the risk when they play and that's their choice. Pretty soon it will probably end up being 2 hand touch

Commitment To Excellence

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

About the helmet to helmet and leading with the helmet - the other day on Dan Patrick show (I think) there was the head of NFL officials on. Dan stated something similar to your gripe above about helmet contact. The head of officials corrected him in that the rule is only enforced when the hit is on a "defenseless player." In other words, if a running back is coming at you and puts his helmet down to try and run you over, there is no helmet to helmet or leading with the helmet penalty. I'm sure the same is true in the college game.

Prospect
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Why don't you make real counter arguments to the points I am making vs. being totally disrespectful in your post. I had to laugh pretty hard at that last comment.

i'm willing to bet that you've never played football....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ArathornClone View Post
    About the helmet to helmet and leading with the helmet - the other day on Dan Patrick show (I think) there was the head of NFL officials on. Dan stated something similar to your gripe above about helmet contact. The head of officials corrected him in that the rule is only enforced when the hit is on a "defenseless player." In other words, if a running back is coming at you and puts his helmet down to try and run you over, there is no helmet to helmet or leading with the helmet penalty. I'm sure the same is true in the college game.
    I think thats a pretty good point. The main problem I have with the helmet to helmet rule is the fact that the offensive player isn't static in space. I don't think any defenders are attempting to create helmet to helmet contact, but often times the offensive player will move his body in a way that the defender can not react to quickly enough to avoid the penalty.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by aamin09 View Post
    i'm willing to bet that you've never played football....
    Based on my post you just quoted?

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 232

Quote Originally Posted by CP44 View Post
    Yeah and they have no contact sports like soccer for people like you.... They know the risk when they play and that's their choice. Pretty soon it will probably end up being 2 hand touch
    I like your attitude. I went to the Raiders-Vikes game last year, I couldn't believe the number of Raider fans there. That team deserves to get great again, worthy adversaries. They love hard-nose football too, none of this soft stuff. I loved when they could lead the league in penalties and still make the playoffs.

I met Al Davis once in LA. Very polite and nice guy, kept his friend waiting for 5 minutes because he enjoyed talking football and Raider/AFL history. He may be making mistakes as an owner, but his heart is in the right place.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Personally, I try to mix it up. BREAK THEIR NECKS! RIP HIS HEAD OFF! KILL THEM ALL!

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

The NFL is getting soft. Anytime someone touches the QB, you better expect a fine to be coming your way. Can't hit em high, can't it em low, can't hit to hard, can't excessively pound them into the ground, if you hit em the second after he throws it, then it's a penalty.

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 934

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal&Gold11 View Post
    The NFL is getting soft. Anytime someone touches the QB, you better expect a fine to be coming your way. Can't hit em high, can't it em low, can't hit to hard, can't excessively pound them into the ground, if you hit em the second after he throws it, then it's a penalty.
    Also, if there weren't as many penalties called, perhaps coaches would adjust their strategy so the QB isn't left exposed as often.