Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

HB vs Roosevelt last night

I had the chance to see Harrison play last night in Des Moines, first time in person. By my count he had 17 points 13 rebounds, 6 steals, 5 Blocks, and 3 Assists. Those stats came pretty quitely as well. He did have two break away dunks that were nice and the blocks were so big that they should each count for two.

He was obviously the most talented player on the court, that will happen all year. What I was suprise at was that his team doesn't look to get him the ball more. The offense doesn't run through him at all and I would guess he didn't take the most shots for his team last night, the small PG did.

He did seem to get frustrated late in the first half, he had 7 first half points. He missed a shot and then committed a bad foul, his only foul of the game. I don't know if this was because Roosevelt Defense was pretty physical or because he wasn't getting a lot of shots.

Overall, it was a nice game and I was hoping for a Triple Double, I wish someone would have told the coach he was four steals away when he took him out with 2 minutes to go in the fourth.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: HB vs Roosevelt last night

I should have gone, one of my friends reffed that game actually.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

The refs did a good job, the called it kind of tight for my taste but I haven't been to a high school basketball game for awhile, that may be the way it is.

Mac was there, it must be nice to have a son play with a Top 5 player. He can go to every game and when it is AAU season he can go to every AAU event and not have it count as a coach scouting so we can have all four of our assistants scouting not just 3. Big advantage for the next two years.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He was probably the youngest ref, I just saw the highlights on 13 and all I could see of him was under the basket for a second after a made layup. He used to live with me for awhile and heard all kinds of funny stories from FB and BB of things coaches said or did or one of the old guys on his FB crew that did something that ticked him off.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    He was probably the youngest ref, I just saw the highlights on 13 and all I could see of him was under the basket for a second after a made layup. He used to live with me for awhile and heard all kinds of funny stories from FB and BB of things coaches said or did or one of the old guys on his FB crew that did something that ticked him off.
    Like when Orr was sick and called a male official a Lesbian? That's my favorite/

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyGuy33 View Post
    I had the chance to see Harrison play last night in Des Moines, first time in person. By my count he had 17 points 13 rebounds, 6 steals, 5 Blocks, and 3 Assists. Those stats came pretty quitely as well. He did have two break away dunks that were nice and the blocks were so big that they should each count for two.

He was obviously the most talented player on the court, that will happen all year. What I was suprise at was that his team doesn't look to get him the ball more. The offense doesn't run through him at all and I would guess he didn't take the most shots for his team last night, the small PG did.

He did seem to get frustrated late in the first half, he had 7 first half points. He missed a shot and then committed a bad foul, his only foul of the game. I don't know if this was because Roosevelt Defense was pretty physical or because he wasn't getting a lot of shots.

Overall, it was a nice game and I was hoping for a Triple Double, I wish someone would have told the coach he was four steals away when he took him out with 2 minutes to go in the fourth.
    thats a typical HB game. having played against ames a few times (i go to waukee) i realized they really dont focus on him as the center of their offense. they like to spread the ball around because they have some othere pretty good high school players.... if he wanted he could score 30+ every game but they dont need him to

ALL IN

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

he had 19 and he was a monster shut down our best player bill freeman

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

News clip from the game.
    High School Playbook

Wesley Staten (2012 - verbal commit)

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    thats a typical HB game. having played against ames a few times (i go to waukee) i realized they really dont focus on him as the center of their offense. they like to spread the ball around because they have some othere pretty good high school players.... if he wanted he could score 30+ every game but they dont need him to
    except for the fact that they utilized him like that last year as well and missed the playoffs. Maybe they need to run their offense through him.

as an aside, as good as Marquis Gilstrap is, when he was here on his visit and scrimmaging with the team, Harrison and him matched up most of the day and Harrison dominated him. And Marquis would start for us today and probably be no worse than option 2 on offense. Scary good for a 16 year old kid.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    except for the fact that they utilized him like that last year as well and missed the playoffs. Maybe they need to run their offense through him.

as an aside, as good as Marquis Gilstrap is, when he was here on his visit and scrimmaging with the team, Harrison and him matched up most of the day and Harrison dominated him. And Marquis would start for us today and probably be no worse than option 2 on offense. Scary good for a 16 year old kid.
    i agree they should center their offense around him more than they do.. but their loss last season in sub state was to bitter rival marshalltown who has chanse creekmur and some other really good players. it was more than just not giving it to HB enough

HB would be the best player on the team if he was there today

ALL IN

Starter
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Just curious! What kind of game does McD's boy have?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by moforisu View Post
    Just curious! What kind of game does McD's boy have?
    hes a pretty solid player... about 6'5" good rebounder. more of a slasher. he has a couple D-1 offers, i know Albany has one out to him... also has a walk-on offer to ISU obviously.

ALL IN

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    hes a pretty solid player... about 6'5" good rebounder. more of a slasher. he has a couple D-1 offers, i know Albany has one out to him... also has a walk-on offer to ISU obviously.

But how could he ever pay for school? Work study?

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post

I think I've mentioned this before when Harrison shot up in the rankings that he's just a different player when he plays with our guys and on the AAU circuit. After last year's high school season I really thought they would run their offense through him this year. Last year you could see that he was pretty special, but it didn't appear that he was utilized as the player he is. It's still early, so maybe the obvious will happen.

Wesley Staten (2012 - verbal commit)

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyRide3 View Post
    I think I've mentioned this before when Harrison shot up in the rankings that he's just a different player when he plays with our guys and on the AAU circuit. After last year's high school season I really thought they would run their offense through him this year. Last year you could see that he was pretty special, but it didn't appear that he was utilized as the player he is. It's still early, so maybe the obvious will happen.
    From what I saw nothing has changed with their offense. I would think with a top 5 player in the country you would run the offense through him. Not saying he needs to shot everytime but by making him the focus it should open up better shots for the rest of the team.