Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Sean Avery could end up in AHL; with Chops

Stars' AHL affiliate in Manitoba not interested in Avery

While NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ponders his decision on the length of Sean Avery's suspension, the Dallas Stars will continue to consider their options for Avery's future with the organization.

To unload Avery's $3.875 salary this season, the Stars could place Avery on waivers and if he clears, send him to the American Hockey League.

The Stars have a partial affiliation with the Manitoba Moose and currently have five Dallas players on their AHL roster; however the Moose have made it clear they are not interested in providing a place for Avery to play.

Moose owner Mark Chipman tells TSN, ''We wouldn't take him under any circumstance.''
    Chipman says the Stars approached Moose general manager Craig Heisinger recently, several days before Avery's latest offensive remarks on Tuesday to ask if Manitoba would make room for Avery if he cleared NHL waivers.

Following a brief internal discussion, the Moose declined and Dallas decided not to waive him.
    The Stars also have players assigned to Hamilton, Grand Rapids, Peoria, Iowa and Houston.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 4

Re: Sean Avery could end up in AHL; with Chops

I was actually thinking about this earlier and Iowa may be the Stars' only choice to unload Avery. The Chops' management plays off the gongshow aspect to some degree - i.e. offering Brett Favre a contract. Having Avery would be a draw, another sideshow for the circus. And Iowans for the most part don't know enough about Avery to despise him. Gives Avery a place to go, gets him off the Stars' hands, puts people in the seats for the Chops. Seems like a good match.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He's a metrosexual snob and I am sure he would be VERY unhappy in Des Moines. I am sure he would have a lot to say about Des Moines that is not positive.

On the other hand it may prove to be just what the doctor ordered about his big ego. Sounds like a good fit to me.

From what I have heard however I think it would really not be good for the really good group of guys that are on the Chops. They are big on giving back to the community, very good to the fans and good sportsmen. I would venture to say that he would probably not mesh well.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,416
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    Stars' AHL affiliate in Manitoba not interested in Avery

While NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ponders his decision on the length of Sean Avery's suspension, the Dallas Stars will continue to consider their options for Avery's future with the organization.

To unload Avery's $3.875 salary this season, the Stars could place Avery on waivers and if he clears, send him to the American Hockey League.

The Stars have a partial affiliation with the Manitoba Moose and currently have five Dallas players on their AHL roster; however the Moose have made it clear they are not interested in providing a place for Avery to play.

Moose owner Mark Chipman tells TSN, ''We wouldn't take him under any circumstance.''
    Chipman says the Stars approached Moose general manager Craig Heisinger recently, several days before Avery's latest offensive remarks on Tuesday to ask if Manitoba would make room for Avery if he cleared NHL waivers.

Following a brief internal discussion, the Moose declined and Dallas decided not to waive him.
    The Stars also have players assigned to Hamilton, Grand Rapids, Peoria, Iowa and Houston.
    whoa, maybe he could take some sloppy seconds of his own on that hawkeye bathroom stall chick since he might be in the area.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    whoa, maybe he could take some sloppy seconds of his own on that hawkeye bathroom stall chick since he might be in the area.
    That may be the best quote I've heard all week.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 578
    Given: 402

Maybe he'll spurn the AHL to take up his main off-ice interest - fashion runway critique...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 315

His pic with his cute gal friend in USA Today yesterday said being metrosexual was okay.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 578
    Given: 402

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    His pic with his cute gal friend in USA Today yesterday said being metrosexual was okay.
    So when does his cute gf officially become "sloppy seconds..."

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    He's a metrosexual snob and I am sure he would be VERY unhappy in Des Moines. I am sure he would have a lot to say about Des Moines that is not positive.

On the other hand it may prove to be just what the doctor ordered about his big ego. Sounds like a good fit to me.

From what I have heard however I think it would really not be good for the really good group of guys that are on the Chops. They are big on giving back to the community, very good to the fans and good sportsmen. I would venture to say that he would probably not mesh well.
    Bingo. Avery would make himself very unwelcome in Des Moines, very quickly.

The Stars will be able to clear the cap space by sending him to the Chops, but they'll still have to pay his salary. I'd be shocked if somebody with his NHL experience were on a two-way contract.

The worst part for the Stars is that if they cut him loose his contract will still go against their cap figure. I believe they take the total left on the contract, come up with a yearly average, divide it by two and spread it across double the length of the remaining contract. If he's owed 10 million over the next two years the cap hit would be 2.5 million per year for four years if they cut him. It's been a while since I read the cap rules, but I believe that's how they do it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 20

[quote=Broodwich;753403]Stars' AHL affiliate in Manitoba not interested in Avery

Do all the NHL fans out there think a suspension is warranted for Avery? I don't follow NHL but I have seen the interviews with him on ESPN and I saw him dis Elisha Cuthbert (which is a sexy blonde bridge I would absolutely never burn) but I guess I don't see how being a ***** should get you suspended. He did apologize and his apology was one of the best I've heard from a pro athlete.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, Avery has a lot of history. It's not like this is an isolated incident.

On it's own merit, probably not so much. But taken in conjunction with all of his other shenanigans it doesn't seem so heavy-handed.