Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

CF's coverage of recruiting news

Jeremy,

I am curious about your plan going forward on covering player recruiting. I have noticed a lot of talk on other boards about new players maybe getting contacted, maybe not. I was wondering if you are making an effort to step away from player recruiting to allow for the other sites to report on that information.

I realize that the lack of news could be for a miriad of reasons, and without listing all of them I just figured I would ask the question straight up.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: CF's coverage of recruiting news

Well I dont want to speak for Jeremy on this, but I think the site is going to be stepping away. With the possibility of becoming a kind of a booster for Cyclone athletcis, it would be against the rules to contact any recruits.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 449
    Given: 312

Juco rivals free football list has at leat 6 on Top 40 still available showing medium Clone interest.

Maybe the new staff has asked not to discuss. Wheels are turning. Lots of visitors coming in to view. Bates is coming as an unofficial check in.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

That's valid, and I can understand how he can easily be in an uncomfortable situation. With that being said, do the people who contacted the recruits on the other boards donate to Iowa State as a NCC member, or is their an exemption for media in this particular situation?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I dont know the details, but here is my thought. As an individual you donate to the NCC, but do not represent the NCC. You are not an "employee" if you will. But with Jeremy being the owner of the site, he becomes an employee and booster for ISU. Thus voids his ability to contact recruits.

So I dont think, but could be wrong, that the other sites donate to the Athletic department directly. They may go through a third party (NCC, Gridiron) which does not entitle them as a booster group label. So now they still have the ability to do their media work as necessary.

Hope this makes sense.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry, Guitar what am I not seeing in your thread. I think you are describing both the same way. You are saying that if Jeremy donates through NCC but runs his site that he is wrong, but that if the other sites donate through NCC it is a third party and they are fine? That sounds like the same situation. Jeremy is not an employee obviously of ISU unless he works there and I didn't know it. Please clarify!

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    Sorry, Guitar what am I not seeing in your thread. I think you are describing both the same way. You are saying that if Jeremy donates through NCC but runs his site that he is wrong, but that if the other sites donate through NCC it is a third party and they are fine? That sounds like the same situation. Jeremy is not an employee obviously of ISU unless he works there and I didn't know it. Please clarify!
    After I reread what I wrote, I see what your saying.

I'll just make it easy. I don't have the correct answer. I was just trying to maybe come up with an explanation.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 154

You are all correct that it's a highly regulated and tough task. I can talk about recruits, report on their statuses, etc as long as I am not contacting them or trying to influence their opinion one way or another. That's the regulation is a nutshell but it's not nearly that cut and dry.

As far as recruiting news goes, there just isn't much going on right now besides speculation by observers. A lot of recruits are in the middle of a somewhat quiet time where not many calls will be made. It's also a time when the coaching staffs are pretty busy. With that said, I do know ISU will be starting to hit the recruiting trails pretty hard starting this weekend. Right now no new recruits have been rumored and no current possibilities have changed their mind, at least to my knowledge.

While I know that Bates has been contacted numerous times, there are other possible recruits that haven't received any contact from the new staff yet. I would anticipate things will start heating up but it's pretty late in the game for next season for quality recruits. Most of the news coming out would be about late deciders and JUCO players.

Out of respect for the sensitivity of the situations and because of the lack of time available on my end, I try to leave as much of the recruiting coverage as possible up to the professionals that have the time to track every lead and can make contact with the players themselves. Even "professionals" often come very close to that thin line between a booster and recruiting news reporter so I try and stay away from any possible issue as much as possible. The last thing I would want to do is cause any problems just so everybody knows exactly how a possible recruit feels about everything under the sun. The truth is that covering recruits is like trying to be semi-physic. These recruits are kids that change their minds more often than most people change their shirt, and that isn't a stretch:)

It takes a very dedicated and available person to keep up on every change in the status of every possible recruit and I just can't be that person with a more than full-time job. I know Chris and the crew at CN do a great job of covering it, as do others, and I'll just refer people to them if they want the absolute latest information on every recruit being contacted (often there could be dozens at any given time). I'll continue to track visits or bigger recruits but it can't be with the same dedication that others may be able to provide having it be their money-maker.

Hopefully everybody understands that it's a tough job and one I can't really take on. I'll do my best to cover bigger-time recruits but as far as making it a priority, I just can't do it.

Thanks for understanding!

Jeremy

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You are all correct that it's a highly regulated and tough task. I can talk about recruits, report on their statuses, etc as long as I am not contacting them or trying to influence their opinion one way or another. That's the regulation is a nutshell but it's not nearly that cut and dry.

As far as recruiting news goes, there just isn't much going on right now besides speculation by observers. A lot of recruits are in the middle of a somewhat quiet time where not many calls will be made. It's also a time when the coaching staffs are pretty busy. With that said, I do know ISU will be starting to hit the recruiting trails pretty hard starting this weekend. Right now no new recruits have been rumored and no current possibilities have changed their mind, at least to my knowledge.

While I know that Bates has been contacted numerous times, there are other possible recruits that haven't received any contact from the new staff yet. I would anticipate things will start heating up but it's pretty late in the game for next season for quality recruits. Most of the news coming out would be about late deciders and JUCO players.

Out of respect for the sensitivity of the situations and because of the lack of time available on my end, I try to leave as much of the recruiting coverage as possible up to the professionals that have the time to track every lead and can make contact with the players themselves. Even "professionals" often come very close to that thin line between a booster and recruiting news reporter so I try and stay away from any possible issue as much as possible. The last thing I would want to do is cause any problems just so everybody knows exactly how a possible recruit feels about everything under the sun. The truth is that covering recruits is like trying to be semi-physic. These recruits are kids that change their minds more often than most people change their shirt, and that isn't a stretch:)

It takes a very dedicated and available person to keep up on every change in the status of every possible recruit and I just can't be that person with a more than full-time job. I know Chris and the crew at CN do a great job of covering it, as do others, and I'll just refer people to them if they want the absolute latest information on every recruit being contacted (often there could be dozens at any given time). I'll continue to track visits or bigger recruits but it can't be with the same dedication that others may be able to provide having it be their money-maker.

Hopefully everybody understands that it's a tough job and one I can't really take on. I'll do my best to cover bigger-time recruits but as far as making it a priority, I just can't do it.
    And there you have it, exactly what I was saying.

I know I even confused myself up above, and probably hurt my credibility, but hope no one takes it to heart. I was just throwing my two cents out. By no means am I an expert on the situation.

Last edited by guitarchitect7; 12-08-2006 at 01:03 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Don't worry Guitar, it has nothing to do with your credibility to me. I just couldn't understand what you were saying.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Nice Try Guitar. I appreciate your help. Of course, you understand that I will be giving you negative rep points for your explanation.

Thank you for your response Jeremy.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 449
    Given: 312

Quote Originally Posted by BooneCy View Post
    Nice Try Guitar. I appreciate your help. Of course, you understand that I will be giving you negative rep points for your explanation.

Thank you for your response Jeremy.

You do not have enough rep to ding him as bad as Amy. Now, she has the Big Stick. All that aside, Phillip Bates is supposedly paying his way to meet and talk to the staff this weekend. And those two Garland Texas speedsters are in town that we have been after for awhile to keep that texas school connection going.

I would think several people could visit over the holidays, so a home game like Savannah State may become more important than just the game. Or else the seven man staff may be spemnding XMAS in Texas goping between Lubbock, Garland, and Big Springs. Easier to recruit Texas in the winter. I noticed that Texas has number one rercruiting class in both rivals and scout by a very long shot. USC did fair compared to last year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Now I really do feel like a Junior Member

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

[quote=Bryceman;57109]You do not have enough rep to ding him as bad as Amy. Now, she has the Big Stick. All that aside, Phillip Bates is supposedly paying his way to meet and talk to the staff this weekend. And those two Garland Texas speedsters are in town that we have been after for awhile to keep that texas school connection going.

I have felt her "wrath". That stick is big and she swings it hard and low.

Rookie
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Being the putz I am, will somebody explain the rules of not passing on information from a "premium" site. If I pay to be a member of such site, why can I not discuss said info on other larger boards. I thought the whole idea was knowledge sharing and unite cyclone nation. I understand the desire to raise funding on the other sites for ISU. I can only assume Jeremy would like to do the same as made available.