Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 14

Recruiting "dead period" is approaching rather quickly

I think I am correct in saying that from December 16th to January 4th, a program can contact one prospective athlete only one time per week. Will we have a new OC and DC coach named before December 16th or after January 4th?
    I believe the changes that have recently been announced have been in the works before the season ended, and it is critical to the program that an announcement be made before the 16th. Which would explain why there have been no announcements with regards to new commitments. Just an opinion.

Go Cyclones

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: Recruiting "dead period" is approaching rather quickly

Yes and the Hawks are recruiting the state hard, looking at current talent, inviting walk-ons, and also scouting for future talent. ISU is not. It has to start at home. I hope GC hires a coach with ties to this state.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguns View Post
    Yes and the Hawks are recruiting the state hard, looking at current talent, inviting walk-ons, and also scouting for future talent. ISU is not. It has to start at home. I hope GC hires a coach with ties to this state.
    I agree that we are not recruiting enough within this state.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    I think I am correct in saying that from December 16th to January 4th, a program can contact one prospective athlete only one time per week.
    Actually, no. The contact period runs until the end of January, but there are built in dead periods around the holidays and in mid-January when most schools start back up. Also, you can have unlimited phone contact to high school senior prospects during contact periods (but only once a week with jucos, go figure.)

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 353
    Given: 90

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    The state of Iowa is not going to bring the speed GC needs to run his scheme. There is maybe 3-4 kids / year that are D-1 calibur and each High School in Florida probably has 3-4 kids / year that go D1. Sorry, just not enough athletes in Iowa to worry about devoting time to the state when you can go down south and they are everywhere. Plus most kids that grow up in Iowa are going to EIU, sorry but its true - especially if they are OL.

Walk On
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Per capita, kids in Iowa are plenty talented to play Big 12 football. The problem isn't the talent of the kids, it's that Iowa is a small, aging state with two D1 programs and a good D1AA program. ISU and iowa are not going to fill their rosters each year with Iowa kids. We'd be dipping too low in the talent pool. That is why we need to go to TX and FL.

Chizik has missed on some talented Iowa kids, but all were huge Iowa fans to start with. I'm not overly concerned with his recruiting in-state. He HAS pulled McDonough, Boffeli, Lichtenberg, Mahoney, etc. who are all high quality recruits.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 6

not gonna happen.

why go after a few meager apples on a branch when you can dig in the stocked barrel in the South.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 77

Getting Iowa kids makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside but we will neither live or die on Iowa kids....GC needs to find a guy with Fl/TX ties. Actually, Illinois might be a more fertile area to invest in.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,161
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 143

Quote Originally Posted by 04clone View Post
    Chizik has missed on some talented Iowa kids, but all were huge Iowa fans to start with. I'm not overly concerned with his recruiting in-state. He HAS pulled McDonough, Boffeli, Lichtenberg, Mahoney, etc. who are all high quality recruits.
    It's hard to pull a cub out of the lion's den when talking about guys like Cotton and Davis but you can't fill a class with guys from Iowa and hope to compete. We have some good players from Iowa, but you will get more talent out of FL and TX than you will ever find here.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

OK, I think you are wrong on almost all fronts. Do you not think that ISU is recruiting the state hard, evaluating talent and inviting walk-ons? Missing two coaches is not going to prevent that. ISU recruited the players they wanted in-state. They got commitments from three and lost out on a couple. You can bet that they are working for walk-ons right now. And offers will go out to underclassmen soon enough.

BTW, Chizik should hire an OC/DC with ties to this state?? Sorry, but I want the best OC and DC that he can find. I could care less if he has ties to the state of Iowa. In-state recruiting could be better, but they still beat the hoks for a kid that they really wanted. And ISU flat out passed on one of their OL recruits. Basically, ISU went 1-4 against them this year and that is counting the legacy Cotton and Davis who ISU didn't really recruit. Turn that 1-4 to 2-3 next season and that's good enough. ISU is beating them on out of state recruits.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 887

Just because Iowa is scouring the state for talent, doesn't mean they're going to find any.

For that matter, there is no one that Iowa has committed who didn't visit ISU unofficially first--including Drew Clark and Brett Van Sloten. So why should Chizik just keep pointing them out for Ferentz?

If you want to talk about the class of '10, that's a lot of undiscovered country. Yes, Iowa already has a commitment--but he's the son of their equipment manager.

If it's a matter of turnong over rocks to find "undiscovered talent", it's an matter both labor and money intensive--unless you stumble across a kid on game film of another prospect. Iowa has a whole lot more resources for that than we do. Besides which, Chizik is busy "turning over rocks" in Texas, Oklahoma and Florida, where he's now fighting to hold onto some of his hidden gems.

And if its a matter of "invited walkons", each school can only invite so many. And I've heard plenty of names that ISU is involved with, even right here on this board.

Frankly, Hayden Fry eventually killed his program loading up on marginal Iowa kids, and Dan McCarney didn't do himself any favors clogging his roster with kids from Iowa, either. I'm certainly not a fan of signing kids from Iowa just to be signing kids from Iowa.

For that matter, let's look at Iowa's recruiting class of 2004, the year before they went national recruiting. All of the Iowa kids were availed the advantage of a redshirt season (and Chizik is looking for immediate contributors). But for the Kings, Krouls, Myers and Brodells of the class, there are also McCrackens, Sabers and Bentlers, who if not entirely disappearing (as much of that class did), were simply names on the roster throughout their careers.

As a matter of fact, McCarney signed ten Iowa high school kids in that same class, who were arguably the last nail in the coffin. He desperately needed offensive linemen, he got...nil.

Oh yes...for those of you who insist on trotting out walkon "Dallas Clark" as an example, I'll point out to you that his older brother was, indeed, a Cyclone. Perhaps just as athletically gifted, you'll note that most of you have never heard of him. Reason? Perhaps that he played linebacker, and never switched to tight end, the way Dallas did. My sources told me he wasn't much of a practice player, something McCarney insisted on before you saw the field. As a matter of fact, I hear the elder Clark now despises ISU. But please, don't tell me we never had a shot with the Dallas Clarks of the world. Sometimes it simply doesn't work out.

So while I think that Chizik will continue to get his share of instate talent, yes, I will be happy if he doesn't spend a great deal of time and energy (not to mention resources) "turning over rocks" in Iowa looking for talent.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Getting Iowa kids makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside but we will neither live or die on Iowa kids....GC needs to find a guy with Fl/TX ties. Actually, Illinois might be a more fertile area to invest in.
    This program needs Iowa kids on it. They know about ISU and will work their *** off for a shot to play. The past ten years there have been players from Iowa that have had a big impact on the program. Sure they may not be super talented, play every down, or be all conference but they are a need tool for ISU to win. Iowa has done good with in-state kids in the past.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    The state of Iowa is not going to bring the speed GC needs to run his scheme. There is maybe 3-4 kids / year that are D-1 calibur and each High School in Florida probably has 3-4 kids / year that go D1. Sorry, just not enough athletes in Iowa to worry about devoting time to the state when you can go down south and they are everywhere. Plus most kids that grow up in Iowa are going to EIU, sorry but its true - especially if they are OL.
    I agree that there are not very many BCS caliber football players in the state. We want to compete in the Big 12 but we back down from the Hawks? I'm not sure I understand that logic.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 613

Just look at the 100 meter champion numbers in the two states and you see where the speed is located.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post

I sort of disagree. There isn't a lot of true BCS talent in the state. I think I've heard something like 15-20 on average. Some will go out of state, so there's really only 10-15 guys that both Iowa and us are fighting over, and most high school kids in the state have a bias towards Iowa.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...