Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 98
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 50,470, Level: 69
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,043
    Points
    50,470
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZmQ_JMrTg]YouTube - 11-29-08 Ryan Donally vs. Zach Fitzgerald[/ame]

    From the game against the Moose this past weekend.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 431,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,788
    Points
    431,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    Nice straight right...put him down pretty quick!



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 42,635, Level: 63
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    clones26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,528
    Points
    42,635
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    the best part is he did it to the other guy in front of his own fans.


    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra


    @cyfert26 on Twitter

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 117,821, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,478
    Points
    117,821
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    I might have to go to a Chops game soon.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 50,470, Level: 69
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,043
    Points
    50,470
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    I might have to go to a Chops game soon.
    I think it's painfully apparent to everyone on this board that I am a huge hockey fan. But I _hated_ the Iowa Stars. This is something completely different and special. They are BIG guys. They fight. They win. If you even have a passing interest in hockey, I would strongly encourage you to check them out.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 178,666, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,632
    Points
    178,666
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 325

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    And this is supposed to be a good thing? Now you know why I don't watch the NHL.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 50,470, Level: 69
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,043
    Points
    50,470
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    And this is supposed to be a good thing? Now you know why I don't watch the NHL.
    Fighting in hockey isn't just about random violence, it's about enforcement of fairplay and paying penance for cheap shots and dirty play. There are rules to fighting, and it's a part of the game for a reason.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 178,666, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,632
    Points
    178,666
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 325

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    Fighting in hockey isn't just about random violence, it's about enforcement of fairplay and paying penance for cheap shots and dirty play. There are rules to fighting, and it's a part of the game for a reason.
    Yes, and it's also the reason that the NHL is by far the least
    attended, and lowest paid of the four major professional sports.

    Your argument is like saying that there are rules for a batter charging the mound--and bench clearing brawls are hurting baseball. All thuggery harms a sport.

    i'm old enough to remember the Lake Placid Olympics. Now that was hockey as it should be played. Teamwork. Skill. And no fighting.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 120,450, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ianoconnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    7,122
    Points
    120,450
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 549

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    It's definitely not THE reason that the NHL is the least popular... I don't even know if it is a contributing factor. If fighting were frowned upon, then why is the UFC so incredibly popular?

    And usually in international play such as the Olympics fighting is a little more frowned upon.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 467,723, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,621
    Points
    467,723
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Yes, and it's also the reason that the NHL is by far the least
    attended, and lowest paid of the four major professional sports.

    Your argument is like saying that there are rules for a batter charging the mound--and bench clearing brawls are hurting baseball. All thuggery harms a sport.

    i'm old enough to remember the Lake Placid Olympics. Now that was hockey as it should be played. Teamwork. Skill. And no fighting.
    Wrong.

    There is less violence per minute in a hockey game than there is in a football game (the vast majority of the 22 players on the field get hit in some fashion every single play, while only 3-4 players receive any kind of contact in any given minute during a hockey game), yet violence isn't a deterrent against people watching football.

    Americans don't watch hockey for two reasons:

    1. They associate it with Canadians, and Americans typically don't like them.

    2. People who aren't familiar with the game, when they try to watch it on TV, aren't able to follow the puck. They assume if you can't follow the action on TV then you can't follow the action live at the rink, which is a gigantic fallacy.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 431,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,788
    Points
    431,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    People who aren't familiar with the game, when they try to watch it on TV, aren't able to follow the puck. They assume if you can't follow the action on TV then you can't follow the action live at the rink, which is a gigantic fallacy.
    I really don't like watching hockey on TV but being there during a hockey game is awesome!



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 50,470, Level: 69
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,043
    Points
    50,470
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Yes, and it's also the reason that the NHL is by far the least
    attended, and lowest paid of the four major professional sports.
    That's a fallacy. Do you know what sport has the average lowest salaries? The NFL.

    And about attendance, read these:
    NBA and NHL attendance - SportsBiz - Sports Business Commentary - Washington Times

    NHL vs. NBA: Hoops fans meekly strike back at hockey's surge - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

    While I respect your reasons for not appreciating professional hockey, I don't think fighting is the root of the problems with the NHL. I think much of it has to do with the lack of a TV contract and residual problems from the lockout.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 265,525, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,025
    Points
    265,525
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 532
    Given: 130

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Yes, and it's also the reason that the NHL is by far the least
    attended, and lowest paid of the four major professional sports.

    Your argument is like saying that there are rules for a batter charging the mound--and bench clearing brawls are hurting baseball. All thuggery harms a sport.

    i'm old enough to remember the Lake Placid Olympics. Now that was hockey as it should be played. Teamwork. Skill. And no fighting.
    This is hilarious (and ignorant).



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 23,520, Level: 46
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HGPuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,100
    Points
    23,520
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    IMHO by far the biggest reason hockey is less popular than some other sports is that it is not a good TV sport. There are a lot of reason for that but fighting isn't one of them. Some of them are difficulty seeing the puck, two intermissions, less scoring, and just generally harder to follow the action on TV. I'll agree with the others that have said there is a big difference between watching in person and on TV


    When all is said and done, more is said than done

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 155,562, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,582
    Points
    155,562
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 137

    Re: Iowa Chops' Ryan Donally KO's a guy in Two Hits

    Who cares! If you like it watch for whatever reason you want to. If you don't want to don't. But why bother telling someone why they should or shouldn't like something???

    Crap now I'm starting to tell people how to post..... yeah I know, I know - hypocritical. I'll leave the thread now.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM