Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Warranty

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Car Warranty

I took my 06 Blazer in for repairs today that I thought would be covered under the warranty and told they wouldn't be.

I have a 36,000 mile warrant on my lease, which when I purchased it had 5,600 miles on it. Shouldn't my warranty start from the miles it had on when I took delivery?

Anyone have any experience with this?

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 10

Re: Car Warranty

If the Blazer has 36,001 miles, then the warranty is expired. The warranty will only cover until the mileage stated in the lease and will start from mile one.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Yeah, that's the way it works. Unless the dealer specified an extended warranty, the warranty ends when the odometer hits the magic number. It sounds like you're barely past 36k, so you could try talking them into paying all or at least some of the repair. If it's something major, you trying telling them there's no way a car this new should have something major wrong with it. Or you could tell them that if this is the way GM does business, they won't get any more business from you when your lease expires.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 7

You can have a leased vehicle without a warranty?

Just return it broken.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    You can have a leased vehicle without a warranty?

Just return it broken.
    Yeah the warranty can expire I guess. I've only got 9 months left on the lease and these are things I could live with but I'm sure they would make me pay for them in the end.

You wonder why GM is going belly up, I've had the car for just over two years and after this I will be at a total of over $4000 in repairs, half covered under warranty. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a lot of repairs for a new car.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I had a similar experience with My Oldsmobile Intrigue. Shortly out of warranty (less than 500 miles) one of the transmission hoses broke and lost all the tranny fluid.

Took it back to the dealer expecting warranty, and they denied the claim. They said that the hose had a previous improper repair, otherwise they would have honored the warranty. I never had a previous problem.

Here is the kicker. The car was a program car, and I took it to the same dealer I bought it from. That means it was one of their mechanics that did the improper repair before I bought the car, or it came that way from the factory. They didn't seem to care when I told them they would never get my business again, and my family has bought every car over the last 25 years from them.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by CyGuy33 View Post
    Yeah the warranty can expire I guess. I've only got 9 months left on the lease and these are things I could live with but I'm sure they would make me pay for them in the end.

You wonder why GM is going belly up, I've had the car for just over two years and after this I will be at a total of over $4000 in repairs, half covered under warranty. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a lot of repairs for a new car.
    Since they are struggling to get new cars off the lot (november sales were down 41% from last year), tell them to eat the repair bills and take over the lease in exchange you will lease a new one. They are probably desperate to sell cars right now. You may be able to walk out of there not oweing any $ and have a new truck.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 95

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post

Here is the kicker. The car was a program car

I love how dealers call every used car these days a "program car". What they don't tell you is that over 1/2 of "program cars" were actually rental cars (aka budget, hertz). Doesn't sound as good does it?

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 95

I would expect to drive at least 150K miles before spending $4,000 on a car.

At least you're in the drivers seat. In 9 months, turn it back in and never look at another POS again. The good thing is that you never bought it. You would have lost $8,000 the second you drove off the lot.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I love how dealers call every used car these days a "program car". What they don't tell you is that over 1/2 of "program cars" were actually rental cars (aka budget, hertz). Doesn't sound as good does it?
    Mine was a rental, then a program, or vice-versa, that was almost 9 years ago. I did a lot of research beforehand, and the track record for prior rentals is better than the average used car of the same model and mileage. Something to do with required (ha!) maintenance intervals.

Anyway, the maintenance was supposed to be all done at said dealer.

Rookie
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

[quote=CyGuy33;747624]I took my 06 Blazer in for repairs today that I thought would be covered under the warranty and told they wouldn't be.

I have a 36,000 mile warrant on my lease, which when I purchased it had 5,600 miles on it. Shouldn't my warranty start from the miles it had on when I took delivery?

Anyone have any experience with this?[/quote

First off, look at your lease contract. IF the dealer wrote up the terms of the lease including repairs, and or maintenance to be paid by dealer you are in. Most likely however they did not and you would fall back on the origional warranty. What is the nature of your repair? Power- train components should be 100000 miles, anything to do with emission control is 50000 miles, the basic car is 3 yr-36000 miles.

Is the car Older than 3 years? If not thats a trump card for you as you are over on miles but under on term therefore they would probably meet you half way. Where did you sign the contract? If you signed everything at the dealer and drove off the lot it makes it tough. IF you signed at a place other than the dealer ship... or took delivery at someplace other than the dealer you may have recourse.

Manufacturers have goodwill adjustments all the time so let me know the particulars and I'll guide you if you need help.

Last edited by iowaboy; 12-02-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I would expect to drive at least 150K miles before spending $4,000 on a car.

At least you're in the drivers seat. In 9 months, turn it back in and never look at another POS again. The good thing is that you never bought it. You would have lost $8,000 the second you drove off the lot.

8,000 Is not correct unless you paid sticker and bought a truck or other expensive vehicle. While buying a "NEW" car is a totally worthless investment as far as a return on your dollars, its not that large!

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I took my 06 Blazer in for repairs today that I thought would be covered under the warranty and told they wouldn't be.

Anyone have any experience with this?

If its a 06 Blazer then find out when the origional in service date was to the origional owner. If its not been in service 3 years then you can argue that while its over on miles it's not on term. Right there should garner some leverage if you put your selling shoes on.

5,600 miles IS NOT alot of miles so I doubt its a "off rental or a program car." Was it titled before if so to who? Sometimes Dealers drive "Demos" that long and they are not titled therefore are still considered a "NEW" car. Let me know.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    Mine was a rental, then a program, or vice-versa, that was almost 9 years ago. I did a lot of research beforehand, and the track record for prior rentals is better than the average used car of the same model and mileage. Something to do with required (ha!) maintenance intervals.

Anyway, the maintenance was supposed to be all done at said dealer.
    The number of program cars that are actually "OFF LEASE" cars is closer to 95%. What else could they be? Very seldom anymore do Executives drive these cars but if they do, its called a "BRASS HAT" and only have 2-5 thousand miles on them.

While its true that "off lease" cars MAY have the maintenance scheduals watched closer, they lose what edge they have because many people who "RENT" these cars from Budget, Avis, Hertz, national, Alamo and others smoke and don't care if they put door dings in them. The cars in Hawaii you have to watch for windshield and side window "Etching" which is caused by the volcanic ash from the big island.

Cars from the Gulf Coast have lots of "Rust" from the salt air in areas that you can't see. Cars from Arizona may have paint issues with the hot sun and desert sand blowing like a blast furnace.

A rental car is one that was sold to one of the car Rental agencies like I mentioned above. A Program car is one leased to a individual like yourself, or a corporation to let their employees drive. Its either one or the other, it can't be both.

Last edited by iowaboy; 12-02-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You have to pay very little at the end of your lease. The vehicle being returned is 3 years old therefore they are to expect normal wear and tear as far as door dings, scratches etc. Any damage more than a small dent would have to be fixed and your tires can't be worn into the wear indicators. In all my years of leasing cars I don't think a client ever had to pay for anything when they returned it.