Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Jake Sullivan on M&M show

I know Marty and Miller are not held in high regard on this board (I am not a fan either). That being said they are going to have Jake Sullivan on for an interview at 5:05. Talking about Barnes, ISU basketball and all things in between. Should be interesting.

"If I got mad everytime someone puked in a pool I would hate a lot of people"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,031
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Re: Jake Sullivan on M&M show

I've never heard Jake speak before but he sounds like a great kid and a great coach.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,031
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

"Harrison wants to be around the best, and become the best of the best." Doesn't sound good for him staying in state.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

While I would love it if Jake pushed ISU, I don't blame him for not.

I was excited about the part about him pulling out a sheet of questions for academic advisors. I've met with many a kid, athlete or not, that stares at the ceiling and could care less about asking questions during their visits.

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

TO ANYONE BAD MOUTHING JAKE SULLIVAN..............SHUT IT!!

Listen to the guy speak. What a class act. He is doing what is in the best interest of his kid. He bled Cardinal and Gold when he played, but that doesn't mean he should not do what is best for Harrison

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

hhhmmmm interesting interview. Not sure anything came out of it except HB wants to play with the best, which may or may not be ISU by the time he makes his decision. The top 100 guard and the 24hr/ practice facility has got to help the situation. Regardless of which program, I would expect he will pick a coach of high character. That being said, I think that is good for Mac and will eliminate a lot of coaches out of the running.

But heck who knows....

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Jake is a classy guy, and anyone who says different is stereotyping him into the sleezy AAU coach category. Jake wants the best for HB and all his players.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    TO ANYONE BAD MOUTHING JAKE SULLIVAN..............SHUT IT!!

Listen to the guy speak. What a class act. He is doing what is in the best interest of his kid. He bled Cardinal and Gold when he played, but that doesn't mean he should not do what is best for Harrison
    Wow! I didn't see anyone bad mouthing Jake on this thread!

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think he's headed to the ACC, either UNC or Duke. I would love more than anything to see him play here, but he wants to play with the best, which is at those schools. If he wants to play against the best, he won't find competition better than in the ACC. His seeming interest in academics leads me to believe he'll choose Duke, which has some of the upper echelon academic programs in the country. I'm sorry, but I just don't see it working out for us in the end.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4VR4CY View Post
    Wow! I didn't see anyone bad mouthing Jake on this thread!
    Not on this thread, but people have been doing it on this board and other boards for well over a year now. Saying things such as, he doesn't like ISU anymore, he hates McDermott, he is sabatoging our relationship w/ Harrison Barnes.

The guy played his heart out for ISU. I guarantee you nobody has ever worked harder than Sullivan and he appears to be running his AAU team the right way

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,432
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    I think he's headed to the ACC, either UNC or Duke. I would love more than anything to see him play here, but he wants to play with the best, which is at those schools. If he wants to play against the best, he won't find competition better than in the ACC. His seeming interest in academics leads me to believe he'll choose Duke, which has some of the upper echelon academic programs in the country. I'm sorry, but I just don't see it working out for us in the end.
    there is NOTHING academically he can accomplish at duke that he can't accomplish here. College is mostly about effort and you learn what you want to and work for. Some pretty bright people have gotten an education at ISU. Any of you criticizing ISU's academics must have the delusion that Duke would have transformed you into a genius while ISU held you back. As far as athletics go what we have to offer him is immortality ala Hoiberg. Duke and UNC can offer him name recognition for a few years but in the end likely he will be reduced to obscurity and a footnote in their future media guides if he is lucky. Hang a banner there and ho hum. Hang a banner in Hilton and you are a legend for life. I am sorry, but he is from Ames, his mother works for ISU, his dad played for ISU, and he works out with the team. If that isn't worth something then I don't know what is.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,432
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Not on this thread, but people have been doing it on this board and other boards for well over a year now. Saying things such as, he doesn't like ISU anymore, he hates McDermott, he is sabatoging our relationship w/ Harrison Barnes.

The guy played his heart out for ISU. I guarantee you nobody has ever worked harder than Sullivan and he appears to be running his AAU team the right way
    I think HB is talking to the wrong guy. Completely different situation than Jake and HB needs to talk to someone who can relate to him. I suggest Hoiberg. ISU didn't work out so bad for him. Some of you probably saw him as a first overall draft pick if he would have attended duke for instance but I think he did okay for us and must have learned SOMETHING about business while here to be in the T-wolves management.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The only potential problem when you play with "the best" is that you don't get as much of a chance to play yourself through those slumps that can occur as a freshman and sophomore. HB would likely start at ISU from day one (just like Fred Hoiberg did). On the other hand, Barnes will have to beat out some heavy competition at Duke. Look at Elliot Williams. He was the #3 ranked shooting guard in the 2008 class, but now he's averaging only 3 points per game at Duke. I can almost guarantee you that HB would average more than 3 points per game in his first season at ISU.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    The only potential problem when you play with "the best" is that you don't get as much of a chance to play yourself through those slumps that can occur as a freshman and sophomore. HB would likely start at ISU from day one (just like Fred Hoiberg did). On the other hand, Barnes will have to beat out some heavy competition at Duke. Look at Elliot Williams. He was the #3 ranked shooting guard in the 2008 class, but now he's averaging only 3 points per game at Duke. I can almost guarantee you that HB would average more than 3 points per game in his first season at ISU.
    Harrison Barnes would start and be a star for any team he goes to. Look back and every top 10 player from the past 4 years and tell me if there is one that didn't start and score at least 10 a game

He's not just another star at Duke. He would be their superstar and top rated player they have signed in years

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    there is NOTHING academically he can accomplish at duke that he can't accomplish here. College is mostly about effort and you learn what you want to and work for. Some pretty bright people have gotten an education at ISU. Any of you criticizing ISU's academics must have the delusion that Duke would have transformed you into a genius while ISU held you back. As far as athletics go what we have to offer him is immortality ala Hoiberg. Duke and UNC can offer him name recognition for a few years but in the end likely he will be reduced to obscurity and a footnote in their future media guides if he is lucky. Hang a banner there and ho hum. Hang a banner in Hilton and you are a legend for life. I am sorry, but he is from Ames, his mother works for ISU, his dad played for ISU, and he works out with the team. If that isn't worth something then I don't know what is.
    Wow, for a post that was completely benign in every way, you sure seemed to react with hostility. The fact of the matter is, Duke is a better school in most aspects, period. I'm not saying we have a bad one, in fact, I think that many of our programs are top notch, and have been proven to be so. That being said, I think you're wearing rose colored glasses if you can't see that fact. Maybe he wants to go to a smaller school, where teachers can focus more on students, rather than a large university like Iowa State. Everyone has different preferences.

Anyway, the real point I was making was, if he said he wants to play with THE BEST in the nation, then this isn't the school for him. That's it. I have many delusions of grandeur for this program as well, but I'm not so foolish to believe one top 100 PG, or Brackins, for that matter, is going to sway Barnes. At Duke or UNC, he would play with Top 10 recruits every year, not to mention the hugely greater amount of national exposure. UNC/Duke have numerous games nationally broadcast every year, which is definitely not something you can say about ISU.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this: