Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I fully support GC in making changes

as I said I think it demonstates that he demands accountability and results. I like the moves I really do and I hope Gene can bring in some new talent.

The only weird thing is why Tony Petersen got the axe. I was at all the home games this year and really the highlight of the season (at least for me) was the improvement of AA throughout the course of the year. What sort of coaching standard was Petersen being held to as opposed to the rest of the coaches?

I just feel bad for the guy as I think of all the coaching position responsibilities his showed the most improvement throughout the year.

Oh well life goes on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Re: I fully support GC in making changes

Petersen was very outspoken and always felt that he should have some say in the offense. He did do a good job with AA but was constantly bad mouthing the play calling (can't say I totally disagree). Plus, he would personally attack players from time to time, which turned alot of players off. He had nothing to do with Bates leaving btw

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I would guess Peterson's relationship (or lack thereof) with Philip Bates contributed to his demise.

He may not have caused Bates to leave but when the head coach calls the #2 QB the "best athlete on the team", the QB coach should at least have enough of a relationship with the guy that he will have a clue that he's thinking of leaving and that they can at least talk in person before it happens.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I have been told that Arnaud was ****** off when he got the news off Peterson getting the axe. Vocally ****** off

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

my guess is Peterson was a victim of circumstance. Chizik wanted McFarland to be able to focus on the O-Line, and a Offensive Coordinator/QB coach is a more common and marketable position.

Just a thought.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I have been told that Arnaud was ****** off when he got the news off Peterson getting the axe. Vocally ****** off
    I have heard the same thing.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305

Oh great... just what we wanted to hear. That stinks if true.

I just hope AA will calm down and understand that Chizik is doing everything he can to win. AA might have liked Peterson personally, which is fine, but maybe somebody else can take AA's game to the next level?

AA did a great job this year, however, we couldn't score. We put up 620 yds against KSU and scored 30 pts. OU put up the same yardage against TT the very same week and scored 65 pts. AA has to understand that we need to score when we get down there. I think Chizik was probably fairly happy with the yardage we were getting... but we just couldn't stick it in the endzone when we needed to... and we couldn't convert on 3rd downs very well.

If AA wants to become as good as Bradford, McCoy, and Harrell... then he will have to lead his team to TDs. Maybe the new OC can get that done for him!

Thumbs Up

Not a surprise that he would be loyal to the QB coach who picked him as the starter over Bates. That probably also gave AA some confidence that Tiller wouldn't threaten his starting position either, at least if Peterson was still there. Now he'll have a new QB coach who will probably start both QB's off on even terms.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

Did anyone expect AA to be happy with it? I don't think it's bad he's upset, the new guy will just need to work, and quickly, to develop that relationship. I would assume AA was upset with the former QB coach was let go as well (under Dan).

It's natural for guys to be upset when coaches are let go.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Maybe he is a little worried that a new QB coach will see that Tiller gives us the best opportunity to put some wins on the board next year.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ISU4ME View Post
    Maybe he is a little worried that a new QB coach will see that Tiller gives us the best opportunity to put some wins on the board next year.
    You've got to be kidding me. Tiller is nowhere near ready to unseat AA. He wasn't going to unseat Bates for back-up. I love excitement for scout team players and all, but I like reality even more. Tiller has some tools that might lead to some good things down the road, but he's not there yet.

As far as the moves, I like it. Chizik is able to keep the two best guys he felt were availalbe when he built his initial staff and add some additional talent at the top of the coaching pyramid. The only thing scary is that this move is also a little of a 'hail mary.' I imagine Gene was told changes were necessary from above. Let's hope this yields immediate results next year because you only get this chance one time in a coaching career at a school and two years from now doesn't look like a real friendly schedule.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Again, Bates had nothing to do with it.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

If the D 1 team over on the east side of the state replaced both coordinators in year 2, Clone fans would be laughing their heads off. Am I off base?

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I would assume AA was upset with the former QB coach was let go as well (under Dan).
    Todd Fitch was the only coach that was retained from Mac's staff - and he bolted for East Carolina in 02/07 - not so much let go, but gone all the same.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    You've got to be kidding me. Tiller is nowhere near ready to unseat AA. He wasn't going to unseat Bates for back-up.
    Maybe you know that. Maybe Arnaud knows that. Maybe Peterson knew that. But what about the new guy who becomes the QB coach? He may have a different view. At the very least, he will probably start off looking at both QB's equally with no preconceived notion that the job is Arnaud's until proven otherwise. If you put yourself in Arnaud's shoes, that would be at least a little bit unsettling.