Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Recruiting and stars

Hey, I thought of you guys when I read this thread. Here's some 2 star players for KU that were very important in KU's win over MU Saturday. Jeff Spikes (freshman tackle that has huge upside and really played good at the end of the year), Jake Laptad (improves every game, made the sack that resulted in the safety), Dez Briscoe (could be the top receiver returning in the conference), Todd Reesing (just makes plays), Jake Sharp (recruit the #1 juco player in the country and Sharp just beats him out), Darrell Stuckey (just an unbelievable player, accounted for all 3 of mizzous turnovers). Stars don't tell the whole story. Chizik reminds me of Mangino. I think he's capable of finding those 2 star guys that end up players and some of your freshmen this year fit that role.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Recruiting and stars

Quote Originally Posted by trajanJ View Post
    Hey, I thought of you guys when I read this thread. Here's some 2 star players for KU that were very important in KU's win over MU Saturday. Jeff Spikes (freshman tackle that has huge upside and really played good at the end of the year), Jake Laptad (improves every game, made the sack that resulted in the safety), Dez Briscoe (could be the top receiver returning in the conference), Todd Reesing (just makes plays), Jake Sharp (recruit the #1 juco player in the country and Sharp just beats him out), Darrell Stuckey (just an unbelievable player, accounted for all 3 of mizzous turnovers). Stars don't tell the whole story. Chizik reminds me of Mangino. I think he's capable of finding those 2 star guys that end up players and some of your freshmen this year fit that role.

I've been trying to say stuff like this all along: you can win with 2 and 3 star players. The issue is that with these guys, you've gotta develop them. With a 4 or 5 star in a program like ISU, they're players you expect to step in right away and contribute.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Pretty sure Briscoe won't be the top returning receiver in conference as Crabtree and Dez Bryant are true sophs and not eligble for the draft yet.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

[quote=bootcy;745316]
    Dez Briscoe (could be the top receiver returning in the conference)quote]

Pretty sure he won't be as Crabtree and Dez Bryant are true sophs and not eligble for the draft yet.
    I thought both of them were redshirt Sophs...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thanks for the info. I hope you are correct sir!

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

crabtree is a redshirt soph who would be stupid not to leave this year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by bootcy View Post
    Pretty sure Briscoe won't be the top returning receiver in conference as Crabtree and Dez Bryant are true sophs and not eligble for the draft yet.
    I think Crabtree is a redshirt.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

My mistake, I guess Bryant wasn't redshirted so he has to come back, but Crabtree's gone. But Briscoe could have a huge year and my point was more on the fact that he wasn't recruited that heavily and yet he's getting the job done against some of the better teams. Against OU Briscoe had 12 catches for 269 yards and 2 TD's. These are the type of players teams like KU and ISU have to find to be competitive and I just think your coach has that eye. It will come in handy for him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

As GC says, "The Best Guy, might not be the Right Guy".

KU has a ton of roll players. Kerry Miere gave up playing QB, and instead of transferring, he is one of their best recievers. Those are the kind of players you want on your team. I'm sure their are players that are taller, bigger, faster, and stronger, but you can't measure dedication or the will to win. Reesing is just awsom, but one is going to look at a QB that stands 5' 8", KU got really lucky with him. I'm sure the KU message boards were questioning this Ressing, before he even threw a pass at KU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Actually Meier was struggling at qb and yanked at home against CU. Reesing came in and won the game and most people wanted him to be the qb after that. He just had a way of making something out of nothing. Meier was taller, a lot faster and had a bigger arm, but Reesing is great at scrambling and keeping his head up looking for receivers. Meier seemed to just run when he got in trouble. It's turned out great for both players. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of year Meier can have when he spends 100% of his practice at receiver next year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 339

You can win with 2 star players. It is just not easy to win with Freshman 2 star players.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 8

Chizik reminds me of Mangino.
    The blueberry girl in the Willy Wonka movie reminds me of Mangino.

Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

Philippians 4:13

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 10

Mangino is phenomenal at findings "diamonds in the rough" and making them good players. Going back a little further, here's some more examples I found.

- Brandon McAnderson, last season's 1100yd/16TD rusher, was a 2* LB out of HS.
    - Anthony Collins, All-American LT and 4th round NFL pick, was a 2* DE out of HS.
    - James McClinton, All-Big 12 DT last season, was a 2*
    - Aqib Talib, All-American CB and 1st round NFL pick, was a 2* safety out of HS.
    - James Holt, KU's leading tackler this season, was a 2* safety out of HS.

Also, trajanJ, I think Meier was hurt when Reesing had his redshirt pulled against CU in 2006. Meier still played the majority of the snaps in the last 3 games of the season. And the majority of KU fans, at least judging from the message boards, wanted Meier to win the QB job at the beginning of last season, and many questioned Mangino and the staff when Reesing won the job.

Moral of the story --- It's hard to do at times, but you have to trust the coaching staff that's in place. Iowa State isn't ever going to be a place where 4 and 5 star players flock to, so we are going to have to do the best we can with 2 and 3 star players. The coaching staff knows a heck of a lot more than we fans do, and they are always acting in the best interest of the team. Seeing the success of our young guys this season should built excitement in the development of this program. Even if Leonard Johnson can become 3/4 of the player Aqib Talib was for KU last season, that is huge for the defense to have a guy who can take a team's #1 receiver out of the game and lock down half of the field. Just look at the difference in KU's stout defense a year ago to the porous defense they fielded this year.