Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

assistant coaches

is anyone else surprised that we didnt get any "bigger" name assistant coaches, it seems like we have transplanted the Stephen F Austin and Troy assistants to Ames. Nothing bad against these guys..i am sure they are great...but is anyone else surprised given that we are paying over 1 million combined for assistants?

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: assistant coaches

Chizik's not done yet. Iowa State isn't an easy sell. For my money, I'd rather have relatively unknown assistants who want to prove themselves and work hard than have some "name" assistant come in and let his name do all the work. I have complete trust in GP on these decisions...

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I too am wary of the guys were bringing in. I would love to see some guys from major conferences come in here... but I hope these guys Chizik has got prove me wrong

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I too find it hard to believe with the cash available we can't bring in some bigger name coaches. We are getting mid major coaches with average records. Troy? SFA? Sounds like the buddy system is at work here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Would you prefer to work with people you know and trust or complete strangers? With strangers you never know what you are going to get. The last thing you want in the next system is any conflicts among those in charge.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 836

Honestly, do you have "named" assistant coaches you want?

We got the hottest "named" head coach, who is bringing in assistants he knows and trusts, yet you still have a problem with that? I think you need to worry about something more important, like when Wesley Johnson will go pro or something.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

What exactly is wrong with the guys we have? The only real questionable one is Wayne Bolt, but I'm sure he will be monitored by Chizik and the schemes he wishes to have on D. Other than that, as I read about the other coaches it looks like they have coached better teams and NFL quality players than Iowa State has ever had. I'd be surprised if Nebraska and Iowa State aren't butting heads for the Big 12 North in the next 2 or 3 years. Besides, if you are an assistant coach looking to move up, Iowa State would have to be at the bottom of your list. The guys we have are solid, I guess I don't see what the problem is.

Recruit
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Ummm... they are "assistant" coaches. I'm not sure how you would bring in an assistant coach from another major conference team to be an assistant coach at Iowa State. Not saying it's a step down, but why would they move from a major program to another major program to stay at assistant coach level. The point is... generally assistants are either coaches from smaller schools, looking to make a move to a bigger conference... or... top notch assistants at smaller schools looking to move to a larger conference... or... or position coaches looking to move to higher level assistant positions (and how many position coaches are considered "big name")... or coaches from other bigger conferences that have been fired.

So, I'm not sure what people are looking for when they say we have not gotten any "big name" assistants??? I suspect the coaches network/fraternity knows who the rising stars are. I doubt the average fan would know who the good assistants are with the exception of those from major programs... and again... why would they move?

The point is... relax and stop worrying about the fact that assistant coaches are not ESPN/Sportscenter household names. I don't think that is how it works. We'll be fine. Assume much thought, research and consideration has gone into the decisions. We have a "name" coach, a program that obviously is sending messages that we are finally ready to play with the big guys and an opportunity to build a program. We'll attrack the right guys.

Last edited by northernclone; 12-06-2006 at 10:37 PM.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I guess its good Chizik is getting guys he knows and has worked with. It will make it way easier to implement systems ans schemes when everyone is seeing eye-to-eye.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

My only worry is that we won't have many midwestern ties, I think we have some pretty damn good guys right now, but I think we need 2 guys that can clinch this staff as being a dominant great staff, we need some more upper division coaching experience. I trust that these guys we brought in have the skills, but we need some people that have been there and done that!!! Troy and Stephen F. Austin are a little different than Big 12 football, that is it, they all seem like pretty good coaches, but we could use some more big 12 experience!

Big Shawn, Super Clone!

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

I have a feeling we will be seeing a position coach or two come from either Texas or Auburn. This would complete the staff for me, but to be honest with myself what do I know. If people were expecting a move similar in nature to when Chizik moved to Texas you were dreaming, you need to have a very big program and a proven coach that they want to learn from to do something like that, well I guess unless you want to pay an assistant in the 500k range bc it sure would need to be more than what the likes of Texas and the other big programs pay these guys already.

Walk On
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I know what you are saying, but I wouldn't worry too much. Its a give and take. There are positives and negatives to anyone we are going to get. We could get a guy like Major Applewhite and people would be happy that he has name recognition and should be a good recruiter because of it, but then he also lacks a lot of coaching experience.

We get a coach like McFarland that no ones knows, but he has a lot more coaching experience, including head coach.

I honestly don't think we will get any coaches from Texas or Auburn or a big school like that now, because I would think our best shot at getting one of those coaches would be to sign one of their positional coaches to one of our coordinator positions. But we've filled those positions now.

I'm not concerned about the defensive side as I'm sure Chizik will implement his own scheme and his assistants will be teaching it. The offensive side is the only one to worry about but the players sound like they like McFarland and he has had some success, so hopefully that will pan out. Plus sometimes its nice to get someone from outside the Big 12 and in a smaller school. Might bring some new looks and schemes that the other coaches aren't used to. And all the coaches have coached in some talent rich areas so hopefully they can pull some quality recruits up to us. Recruiting is half the battle. I do agree that we need at least one coach with some midwestern flavor though.

Gusto

Keep in mind that we should assume the head coach will bring in coaches to make him successful as much as make themselves successful. Chizek already has $6+ million on the line for his own job. He wants to be more successful than you tend to believe. And yes, typically asst coaches begin with the good ol boy network, which is no problem when they are as driven as their leader.

Let's give the coaches a chance to be successful.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 60

Doesn't it say something that he talked a Head Coach from a 1-AA school into being our Coordinator?

Even if he isn't a name, the guy has experience as a Head Coach, which I think will help our team out as well.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 238

He is probably the assistant head coach when the dust settles. I think he hired his ex friends for now and will then focus on filling in gaps with some Midwest connections. TYhe big gap we have in coaches is to find a coach who can recruit California against Nebraska - like a Harbaugh assistant. Nebraska secret weapon has been tapping California. They do well in Midwest juco also. Need to counteract their pipeline. Hey, maybe he will hire an Iowa high school coach as one of his fills. Looks like he has 5 sopots availabale. I am also interested on who he choose for grad assistants. Might know by Monday. Gene has no time to waste to assemble staff if he goes after 25 commits. Since he will go juco, h will need some extra commits that might bomb out. Callahan tapped 25 his first year also. It is the way of the football world.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.