Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

Positives from the Hawaii game

Maybe some of you might think this will be the shortest thread ever, but here goes:

We all know that a lot went wrong for us in this game. There are many threads discussing that, and rightfully so. Although we didn't get the "W", there were things I saw that were encouraging.

-Diante Garrett: The guy was unstoppable in stretches. It's nice to know that this year, we can get a shot off in the waning seconds of the shot clock. Every time it's under 10 seconds, we reset, and let him go one-on-one. It's fun to watch.

-Justin Hamilton: Limited minutes, but he seems to have a feel for the game and a nose for the ball. He is already a big body out there, which we sorely need. He will only get better, but is already looking good, and will get minutes against the taller, more physical teams.

-Lucca: Hit a couple of really pretty threes during our second half run. Also, had some great "ideas" about where the ball should go to get guys in position to score. Unfortunately, he was not completely under control and the result was a turnover, but when he figures this out, he is going to be a real triple threat.

-BP: I thought he was a key to that second half run. He seemed to be leading the defense, and the fast breaks after turnovers. He's not the most athletic guy, but you can't fault his brains or effort. We need him to teach the new guys the ropes.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,268
    Given: 1,100

Re: Positives from the Hawaii game

I didn't see the game, so I can't say much. I appreciate the work on this post. It's a good idea after a frustrating game to remember that the whole world didn't fall apart.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 273

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Maybe some of you might think this will be the shortest thread ever, but here goes:

We all know that a lot went wrong for us in this game. There are many threads discussing that, and rightfully so. Although we didn't get the "W", there were things I saw that were encouraging.

-Diante Garrett: The guy was unstoppable in stretches. It's nice to know that this year, we can get a shot off in the waning seconds of the shot clock. Every time it's under 10 seconds, we reset, and let him go one-on-one. It's fun to watch.

-Justin Hamilton: Limited minutes, but he seems to have a feel for the game and a nose for the ball. He is already a big body out there, which we sorely need. He will only get better, but is already looking good, and will get minutes against the taller, more physical teams.

-Lucca: Hit a couple of really pretty threes during our second half run. Also, had some great "ideas" about where the ball should go to get guys in position to score. Unfortunately, he was not completely under control and the result was a turnover, but when he figures this out, he is going to be a real triple threat.

-BP: I thought he was a key to that second half run. He seemed to be leading the defense, and the fast breaks after turnovers. He's not the most athletic guy, but you can't fault his brains or effort. We need him to teach the new guys the ropes.

This is one thing that bothered me last year. People trashed on him quite a bit, but Im sure as hell glad he came on board. I think hes helped quite a bit and is kind of a hidden hero at times.

Our bigs have alot of heart so far. Now they just need to get mean, which will come soon I think.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 12

How dare you try to be positive after a loss

DG has quite the future with this team and I very excited to see get even better. Him and Colvin in the same back court next year is going to be scary good.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I thought DG had a great game last night. But before I jump on the DG is awesome band wagon, there are a few things I would really like to see him improve.

1. I hate how he starts the offense at midcourt and they are passing to guys way outside the three point line in spots where there is no way they could make a shot. I don't like an offense running that far away from the basket. Remember when Tinsley was playing and he would be running the offense from the top of the key (or even at the free throw line ). I'd like to see him instigate the offensive closer to the top of the key instead of half court.

2. His drives in the lane. It seems he's unsure of what he's going to do in the lane once he gets in there. It's like he's waiting just a little to long to take the shot, just pass or shoot. He'll beat his guy and then double pump a wide open layup giving the defenders a chance to recover. I'd like to see him be able to make that little runner more consistently or even give it up from time-to-time. I think that he can develop this with more experience and last night he was showing great signs of being smart in the lane.

I think DG has a very bright future ahead of him. I think he's improved every game so far this year and hopefully he continues to do so.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

DG is great and he'll be all-conference by the time he's done. He was all we had last night for the most part. Man was he stroking the ball last night, his pull up 3's were a thing of beauty, he needs to do that more, his shot is sweet, much better than last year.

BP was huge in that comeback, he was stealing balls, diving for loose balls, I'm proud of that young man.

Lucca just needs to play and get use the team, he'll be fine.

Haluska plays hard just needs to stop shooting so much.

Hamilton did a nice job, he's going to contribute more than I thought this season.

JVB was kinda lost last night.

I feel bad about coming down on CB, but he simply doesn't have a big man's mentality and that's the one thing this team needs right now. Our set offense is ?. If we had a force inside we would compete in the Big XII, but we won't because of that fact.

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

We seem to have some depth with almost 9 players having DD minutes (Hamilton with 9).

We shot a nice FT %.

Garrett seems to be in charge on the court which is somthing I like to see from a point guard.

I hope we look at this game as starting point for a nice run thru the rest of the non-conf. season.

I try to remember we have 3 new players playing significant minutes and its gonna take time for them to click. Not to mention 2 of the guys we are leaning on from last year are only sophs.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 41

Watching this video is the only positive I saw last night.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp9Gm-aRe5A"]YouTube - Chimpanzee Riding A Segway[/ame]

Ok, maybe DG was pretty good too. Was he perfect on FTs? That was good to see. Seemed like he struggled there the first few games.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

DG is stronger inside than CB. Sad but true.

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,076
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 41

Sorry, I will not feel comfortable with a game on the line for a final shot, and we have to rely on DG, in a 1-4 flat set, going 1-on-1. B12 defenses will most of the time shut that down.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    This is one thing that bothered me last year. People trashed on him quite a bit, but Im sure as hell glad he came on board. I think hes helped quite a bit and is kind of a hidden hero at times.

Our bigs have alot of heart so far. Now they just need to get mean, which will come soon I think.
    I will give Petey all the credit in the world. He gets as much out of what God gave him as anyone on the team. The problem is he isn't as athletically gifted enough to compete with alot of the Big 12 Guards, this is where alot of the frustration arose from.

I won't bash him because of his effort, you could never do that.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    DG is stronger inside than CB. Sad but true.
    I don't want to rip on CB, but he needs to learn how to get himself closer to basket and not shoot a 10ft turnaround. Until he learns that, we won't have an inside game.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 704

Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post
    Watching this video is the only positive I saw last night.

YouTube - Chimpanzee Riding A Segway

Ok, maybe DG was pretty good too. Was he perfect on FTs? That was good to see. Seemed like he struggled there the first few games.

Do NOT click on that link. The song is evil and will get in your head.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I really think the only postive that came from last night is that we know we have a real big 12 point gaurd. Other than DG and maybe Lucca when he gets healthy we really dont have the players to compete in the Big 12. Craig has been a huge disapointment so far, we start two walk-ons and a kid from ames who could barely play for a poor Iowa team. Until Iowa State gets more athletic they are not going to be able to compete in the top of the big 12. Hopefully next year Chris Colvin and Gillstrap can give us the much needed athletic ability to compete. But as far as this year goes you just dont lose to Hawaii and beat UC Davis by 3 I believe and go to the post season.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 640

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Do NOT click on that link. The song is evil and will get in your head.

too late!!! damn it!!!! my daughter is running around the house singing that stupid song. nnnnnooooooooooooo!!!

Are you a member?