Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 566

I'm just as disappointed with our fans

I come to Cyclone Fanatic daily to talk about and hear other people's thoughts about the Cyclones, and to share in their triumphs and yes, the misery of their defeats. I most certainly do not come here to hear about how terrible our team, coaches or players are, or how they don't belong in the Big 12 or Division I.

Before I get the requisite shots for not caring, or not being passionate enough, or not expecting a high level of play, I want to make clear that I live and die by the Cyclones, and I have for every game for a long time. I expect them to be great. I have to go through the process of picking myself up after every loss and gearing myself up for the next game just like everyone else.

Some fans need to remember that passion for, and respect for our team are not mutually exclusive. You will never see me write, or hear me say, that this player or that coach is a dumb *** or ******, or any other derogatory and disrespectful comment like that. If I want to read that kind of stuff, I will go over to a Hawkeye site.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 60

Re: I'm just as disappointed with our fans

Well said. Although, I think the majority of Cyclone fans are cut from the same cloth as you are. It it not easy to be an ISU fan and the weak of heart are soon weeded from the herd. A few idiots can make a lot of noise on a message board.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 37

Go back to August and read the posts - 99% positive and excitement. Howver ISU has given the fans very little to get excited about, it has been years of frustrations of loosing and it is finally boiling over. The football team has won what 9 games the past 3 years and the basketball team has not sniffed a post-season tourney in years.

For the amount of money that people are donating to ISU every year, they expect a little return on their money.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

I love being a cyclone fan, although I agree, some days are easier than others.

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by redrocker View Post
    I love being a cyclone fan, although I agree, some days are easier than others.
    Like the days when we don't play anybody in anything? I agree, those are easier!

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 566

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Go back to August and read the posts - 99% positive and excitement. Howver ISU has given the fans very little to get excited about, it has been years of frustrations of loosing and it is finally boiling over. The football team has won what 9 games the past 3 years and the basketball team has not sniffed a post-season tourney in years.

For the amount of money that people are donating to ISU every year, they expect a little return on their money.
    I agree that it is all very frustrating. I would expect to see threads filled with "what's wrong" and "how do we get better" and "who should be starting". But I also expect to see respect and restraint. I personally hesitate to talk about bad, heart wrenching games until my attitude has recovered. I have no shortage of pain and anger, just like everyone else. I actually threw myself into a wall and put a huge hole in it when I was 12 or 13 after a particularly frustrating loss to Oklahoma in basketball. It was covered with a Samantha Fox poster until I was 18 and moved out (sorry mom)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Go back to August and read the posts - 99% positive and excitement. Howver ISU has given the fans very little to get excited about, it has been years of frustrations of loosing and it is finally boiling over.
    Exactly. Post-loss topics here generally cover all gamuts - from frustration with the team, coaches, officials, fans, etc.

This loss is no different. I can tell you the latter 2 are not the issue here.

Fans being rather upset/frustrated is much better than fans just not giving a ****.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

I agree with the OP.

What can possibly be accomplished by the namecalling/slamming of our players/coaches, etc.? Do we not think they are busting their butts trying to win? Don't you think CB feels like crap because he made a big mistake?

I understand the frustration, and I like to see us win as much as anyone else. But as long as they're wearing the Cardinal and Gold, I refuse to be derogatory to them.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I agree with the OP.

What can possibly be accomplished by the namecalling/slamming of our players/coaches, etc.? Do we not think they are busting their butts trying to win? Don't you think CB feels like crap because he made a big mistake?

I understand the frustration, and I like to see us win as much as anyone else. But as long as they're wearing the Cardinal and Gold, I refuse to be derogatory to them.
    This I agree with.

But generally, as a team, we're not very good. And, our team has mastered the art of teasing its fans. Start very slow, comeback to take a "commanding" lead - give it away, regain lead - lose in the end.

No players, coaches, assistants or water boys were verbally assaulted in this post.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I plan on donating more $ next year, but my conscience keeps asking me why? My passion for ISU athletics wins out in the end, but if we have another year like this year....

I was considering getting season tickets for BB, but after watching that debacle last night I simply can't justify it, especially with Christmas right around the corner and no more of those nice bonus' I use to get from Pella Corp. in the month of December.

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    This I agree with.

But generally, as a team, we're not very good. And, our team has mastered the art of teasing its fans. Start very slow, comeback to take a "commanding" lead - give it away, regain lead - lose in the end.

No players, coaches, assistants or water boys were verbally assaulted in this post.
    I agree. There's a difference between level-headed criticism and wild-eyed, mean-spirited lambasting. One is mature and realizes that in the grand scheme of things, it's just a game. The other makes people look foolish, IMO.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,971
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 36

I think players are always off limits. I don't care what you think or the alcohol you've been drinking is telling you to say. A player, no matter how bad the performance, never woke up that morning with a goal of ruining your day. The kids really bust their *** to play college sports.

Now the coaches are a different story. I think they are the ones who can be open to criticism. It is their job to prepare these kids so they don't have bad days. That being said, just like anything else in life, if you are going to criticize someone, you really should have something constructive to say about it. To just blast coaches with no reasoning why you think things aren't going the right way just puts you in the "overreactive" fan base.

This is a message board and all facets of sport are going to be discussed here, both good and bad. It's how you approach it that makes all the difference.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I agree. There's a difference between level-headed criticism and wild-eyed, mean-spirited lambasting. One is mature and realizes that in the grand scheme of things, it's just a game. The other makes people look foolish, IMO.
    really? How much "wild-eyed, mean-spirited lambasting" actually goes on at Cyclonefanatic? I think you're all being overly dramatic. For God's sake other programs quit on their players when they lose a couple games!!! We had a mostly full stadium at the beginning of a bone-chilling cold game at the end of a season where we didn't have a conference win.

I'd put our basketball attendance up against anyone with a similar record the past 3 season (Iowa anyone? and they have a bigger fanbase!). Cyclone fans are loyal and generally awesome. Our football and baseketball programs are 2nd rate at best and they still come out in droves compared to similarly sucky schools.

I hate the prima-donna fans on here that consistantly call out the fans for doing nothing more than be disappointed when we lose. Do our programs really look better from up there? Can't see the scoreboard from your high horse?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    really? How much "wild-eyed, mean-spirited lambasting" actually goes on at Cyclonefanatic? I think you're all being overly dramatic. For God's sake other programs quit on their players when they lose a couple games!!! We had a mostly full stadium at the beginning of a bone-chilling cold game at the end of a season where we didn't have a conference win.

I'd put our basketball attendance up against anyone with a similar record the past 3 season (Iowa anyone? and they have a bigger fanbase!). Cyclone fans are loyal and generally awesome. Our football and baseketball programs are 2nd rate at best and they still come out in droves compared to similarly sucky schools.

I hate the prima-donna fans on here that consistantly call out the fans for doing nothing more than be disappointed when we lose. Do our programs really look better from up there? Can't see the scoreboard from your high horse?
    Touchy, touchy...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Keep in mind that you may not see the posts that get deleted.

I would call calling one of our players a ******* ****** mean-spirited.